Re: Need an external CD/DVD writer for DS10. - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: Need an external CD/DVD writer for DS10. - VMS ; From: Rod > On Jun 3, 4:35=A0pm, s...@antinode.info (Steven M. Schweda) wrote: > > =A0 =A0Is anyone using a USB-connected DVD drive on VMS (Alpha)? > > Neat trick since USB support is disabled by the firmware on at least ...

  1. Re: Need an external CD/DVD writer for DS10.

    From: Rod

    > On Jun 3, 4:35=A0pm, s...@antinode.info (Steven M. Schweda) wrote:
    > > =A0 =A0Is anyone using a USB-connected DVD drive on VMS (Alpha)?

    > Neat trick since USB support is disabled by the firmware on at least
    > some of the Alpha models.

    It's not much of a trick, but it is pretty simple and painless, so it
    might count as "neat". Buy a cheap Chinese USB (PCI) card (for about
    $10) which uses what seems to be the most popular chip (NEC µPD720100
    "http://www.necel.com/usb/en/"), and install it. On the XP1000, only
    the built-in USB is disabled, and there's a console variable which
    controls it (set usb_enable off|on), I gather.

    I seem to recall that someone, sometime, actually added support (or
    at least function) for the built-in USB in the XP1000, but I already had
    the add-in solution working in mine, so I haven't tried enabling the
    built-in interface. (A Google search suggests that it's in VMS V8.3,
    but my main system is still at V7.3-2.)

    I assume that the add-in PCI card will work in practically any Alpha
    with a good open PCI slot, irregardful of the state of the built-in USB
    hardware (if any).

    Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-info
    382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

  2. Re: Need an external CD/DVD writer for DS10.

    In article <08061007214171_20200492@antinode.info>, sms@antinode.info
    (Steven M. Schweda) writes:
    |>From: Rod

    |>> Neat trick since USB support is disabled by the firmware on at
    |>least
    |>> some of the Alpha models.
    |>
    |> It's not much of a trick, but it is pretty simple and painless, so
    |>it
    |>might count as "neat". Buy a cheap Chinese USB (PCI) card (for about
    |>$10) which uses what seems to be the most popular chip (NEC µPD720100
    |>"http://www.necel.com/usb/en/"), and install it. On the XP1000, only
    |>the built-in USB is disabled, and there's a console variable which
    |>controls it (set usb_enable off|on), I gather.
    |>
    |> I seem to recall that someone, sometime, actually added support
    |>(or
    |>at least function) for the built-in USB in the XP1000, but I already
    |>had
    |>the add-in solution working in mine, so I haven't tried enabling the
    |>built-in interface. (A Google search suggests that it's in VMS V8.3,
    |>but my main system is still at V7.3-2.)
    |>
    |> I assume that the add-in PCI card will work in practically any
    |>Alpha
    |>with a good open PCI slot, irregardful of the state of the built-in
    |>USB
    |>hardware (if any).

    As long as there is only the slow I/O speed on alpha it's not meaningful to
    use USB for DVD (or Blu-Ray) recording.

    I will add the code to cdrecord in order to support USB as soon as USB
    is as fast as on Itanium.

    regards
    Eberhard

+ Reply to Thread