NCL question - VMS

This is a discussion on NCL question - VMS ; Recently rebooted 8.3 which had been running on DS10L onto ES45. Now can do a SET HOST to that node, and can't wade my way throught NCL to find device names and how to change them Version = T5.0.3 NCL>help ...

  1. NCL question

    Recently rebooted 8.3 which had been running on DS10L onto
    ES45. Now can do a SET HOST to that node, and can't wade
    my way throught NCL to find device names and how to change
    them

    Version = T5.0.3

    NCL>help sho dev

    show

    device

    show [node node-id] device attribute [,attribute]
    all [attributes]
    all characteristics
    all status

    Example:

    show device * all

    Additional information available:

    Characteristic Status unit

    NCL>sho device * all
    %NCL-E-INVALIDCOMMAND, unrecognized command
    sho device \*\ all

    NCL>show known
    %NCL-E-INVALIDCOMMAND, unrecognized command
    show \known\

    Can't say I am fond of this interface.

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  2. Re: NCL question

    Tom Linden wrote:
    > Recently rebooted 8.3 which had been running on DS10L onto
    > ES45. Now can do a SET HOST to that node, and can't wade
    > my way throught NCL to find device names and how to change
    > them
    >
    > Version = T5.0.3
    >
    > NCL>help sho dev
    >
    > show
    >
    > device
    >

    > show [node node-id] device attribute [,attribute]
    > all [attributes]
    > all characteristics
    > all status
    >
    > Example:
    >
    > show device * all
    >

    > Additional information available:
    >
    > Characteristic Status unit
    >

    > NCL>sho device * all
    > %NCL-E-INVALIDCOMMAND, unrecognized command
    > sho device \*\ all
    >
    > NCL>show known
    > %NCL-E-INVALIDCOMMAND, unrecognized command
    > show \known\
    >
    > Can't say I am fond of this interface.

    I wasn't fond of it either! I thought it was a nightmare. All I ever
    really wanted was to do DECnet over Ethernet. DECnet Phase V and NCL
    seems to do everything from tin cans and string to satellite links. The
    poor user is abandoned to his fate!

    The guy who wrote the documentation was so damned proud of all the
    layers, towers, and stacks that he didn't get around to explaining how
    to configure and use DECnet V before I died of boredom!

    If possible, install DECnet Phase IV. It did, and still does,
    everything I need. It probably still does everything you need too.

    DEC seemed to have the idea that everyone was going to use VAX or Alpha
    VMS to handle WAN routing and management. I've never seen, or heard of,
    a shop that did. Everywhere I've been, the DEC stuff was on the local
    Ethernet and access to the WAN, if any, was via a Cisco router that took
    care of the WAN protocols.

  3. Re: NCL question

    The easy way is to type "@SYS$MANAGER:NET$CONFIGURE.COM ADVANCED" and
    reconfigure the circuits that way, or indeed redo the whole configuration
    making other changes as needed (eg: drop hello timer to say 30 rather than
    600, set the naming to be LOCAL,DOMAIN and the DOMAIN naming BIND resolver
    to be 127.0.0.1, etc.).

    Alternatively search the NCL script files (in SYS$STARTUP) and edit the ones
    that contain the device name you need to change. You're probably looking for
    ROUTING CIRCUITS and CSMA STATIONS. Once you're done I recommend renaming
    the NCL files (and indeed any other critical files) to ;32767 just to
    prevent inadvertent changes by someone with a text editor and a careless set
    of fingers...

    --
    Cheers, Colin.
    Legacy = Stuff that works properly!

  4. Re: NCL question

    Tom Linden wrote:
    > Recently rebooted 8.3 which had been running on DS10L onto
    > ES45. Now can do a SET HOST to that node, and can't wade
    > my way throught NCL to find device names and how to change
    > them

    simplest:

    product remove decnet-5
    product install decnet-4

  5. Re: NCL question

    "Tom Linden" wrote in message
    newsp.ucfunvhnhv4qyg@murphus.hsd1.ca.comcast.net...
    Recently rebooted 8.3 which had been running on DS10L onto
    ES45. Now can do a SET HOST to that node, and can't wade
    my way throught NCL to find device names and how to change
    them

    Version = T5.0.3

    NCL>help sho dev

    show

    device

    show [node node-id] device attribute [,attribute]
    all [attributes]
    all characteristics
    all status

    Example:

    show device * all

    Additional information available:

    Characteristic Status unit

    NCL>sho device * all
    %NCL-E-INVALIDCOMMAND, unrecognized command
    sho device \*\ all

    NCL>show known
    %NCL-E-INVALIDCOMMAND, unrecognized command
    show \known\

    Can't say I am fond of this interface.

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

    Question:

    You know what the old NCP command was. But what on earth is it in NCL?

    Answer:.

    $ run sys$update:decnet_migrate

    DECNET_MIGRATE> CONVERT COMMAND "old ncp command"

    e.g.

    DECNET_MIGRATE> CONVERT COMMAND "show known obj"

    gives

    SHOW SESSION CONTROL APPLICATION * ALL STATUS

    Other things like ethernet addresses which, in NCP, you could get from

    MC NCP SHOW KNOWN LINE CHAR

    is now

    MC NCL SHOW ID (part of SHOW ALL)

    and

    MC NCP SHOW EXEC STAT

    becomes

    MC NCL

    followed by

    NCL> SHOW ALL STATUS

    NCL> SHOW NSP ALL STATUS

    NCL> SHOW SESS CONT ALL STATUS

    NCL> SHOW ROUT ALL STATUS

    To get the version of DECnet/OSI or DECnet/PLUS use:

    MC NCL SHOW IMPLEMENTATION

    HTH

    Roger

    PS I have gone back to phase IV too!!!

  6. Re: NCL question

    Tou get the info you want with

    show csma station * all char

    Or simular commans (see help about show csma)
    Fekko

  7. Re: NCL question

    On Jun 9, 9:16 am, Fekko Stubbe wrote:
    > Tou get the info you want with
    >
    > show csma station * all char
    >
    > Or simular commans (see help about show csma)
    > Fekko

    The simplest way would be to do SYS$MANAGER:NET$CONFIGURE.COM
    the basic config has few questions,

    NCL is not the same as NCP and never will be. It has been around for
    15 years or more. Perhaps you should spend some time getting to know
    it.

  8. Re: NCL question

    Tom Linden wrote:
    > Recently rebooted 8.3 which had been running on DS10L onto
    > ES45. Now can do a SET HOST to that node, and can't wade
    > my way throught NCL to find device names and how to change
    > them
    >
    > Version = T5.0.3
    >
    > NCL>help sho dev
    >
    > show
    >
    > device
    >

    > show [node node-id] device attribute [,attribute]
    > all [attributes]
    > all characteristics
    > all status
    >
    > Example:
    >
    > show device * all
    >

    > Additional information available:
    >
    > Characteristic Status unit
    >

    > NCL>sho device * all
    > %NCL-E-INVALIDCOMMAND, unrecognized command
    > sho device \*\ all
    >
    > NCL>show known
    > %NCL-E-INVALIDCOMMAND, unrecognized command
    > show \known\
    >
    > Can't say I am fond of this interface.

    My favorite NCL command is flush. It's the only command starting with
    "f" but requires the entire command line. No defaults

    $ MCR NCL
    NCL>help flush

    flush_(OpenVMS)

    Removes one or more entries from the in-memory, local
    naming cache.

    flush [node node-id] session control naming cache entry "node-name"

    Note: The NCL session control naming cache (CDI cache)
    is not related to the DECdns cache files.

    To view what was in the CDI cache the last time a CDI checkpoint
    was taken, issue the following command:

    $ run sys$system:cdi_cache_dump

    To flush the entire CDI cache (with the exception of those for the
    local node and any aliases it may be using):

    flush session control naming cache entry "*"

    Or to flush single entries:

    flush session control naming cache entry "lamchp"

    flush session control naming cache entry "NET$490014000400010020"

    flush session control naming cache entry "IP$16.37.168.217"

    Topic?
    NCL>flush
    %NCL-E-INVALIDCOMMAND, unrecognized command
    flush\\
    NCL>flush session
    %NCL-E-INVALIDCOMMAND, unrecognized command
    flush session\\
    NCL>flush session control

    Node 0 Session Control
    at 2008-06-09-08:30:40.151-06:00Iinf

    NCL>flush session control naming
    %NCL-E-INVALIDCOMMAND, unrecognized command
    flush session control naming\\
    NCL>flush session control naming cache
    %NCL-E-INVALIDCOMMAND, unrecognized command
    flush session control naming cache\\
    NCL>flush session control naming cache entry

    Node 0 Session Control
    at 2008-06-09-08:31:03.011-06:00Iinf

    command failed due to:
    process failure

    NCL>flush session control naming cache entry *
    %NCL-E-INVALIDCOMMAND, unrecognized command
    flush session control naming cache entry \*\
    NCL>flush session control naming cache entry "*"

    Node 0 Session Control
    at 2008-06-09-08:31:21.808-06:00Iinf

    NCL> ^Z

    This is the only CLI I've run into over the years that requires
    a quoted asterisk as an argument.

    Since flush_(OpenVMS) is a VMS only command, why????

    All of the examples in the help quoted above should be:

    flush lamchp

    flus NET$490014000400010020

    f IP$16.37.168.217

    and
    f[lush]

    should default to

    flush session control naming cache entry "*"

    Jeff

  9. Re: NCL question

    "Jeff Campbell" wrote in message news:1213022099_6325@isp.n...

    > My favorite NCL command is flush. It's the only command starting with
    > "f" but requires the entire command line.

    I think you can shorten it down to f s c n c e "*".

  10. Re: NCL question

    >> My favorite NCL command is flush.

    I never had a 'favorite NCL command'. Sounds like 'my favorite IRS bill'.
    I think we were one of the few sites to use DECDNS with namespaces, clerks
    and everyone other obscure Phase V headache. I rememember stalling the VMS
    DECNET V course in Reading once when the teacher said 'Of course, very few
    people use this particular feature' and three hands went up: 'Oh yes we do'.
    Sickly grin from the instructor, I thought he was going to ask us how it all
    worked.

  11. Re: NCL question

    Richard Brodie wrote:
    > "Jeff Campbell" wrote in message news:1213022099_6325@isp.n...
    >
    >> My favorite NCL command is flush. It's the only command starting with
    >> "f" but requires the entire command line.

    > I think you can shorten it down to f s c n c e "*".

    Oh, THAT really helps!! 8-) 8-)

    Jeff

  12. Re: NCL question

    Jeff Campbell wrote:
    > Richard Brodie wrote:
    >> "Jeff Campbell" wrote in message
    >>
    >>> My favorite NCL command is flush. It's the only command starting with
    >>> "f" but requires the entire command line.

    >> I think you can shorten it down to f s c n c e "*".
    >>

    > Oh, THAT really helps!! 8-) 8-)

    Don't know what "f s c n c e ""*""" might mean or do but I'd suggest
    spelling it out in full if you are going to put it in a command file!
    Abbreviation is great for interactive use but for use in command files
    that may have to be deciphered by others, commands should be given in full!

  13. Re: NCL question

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    > Jeff Campbell wrote:
    >> Richard Brodie wrote:
    >>> "Jeff Campbell" wrote in message

    >>> I think you can shorten it down to f s c n c e "*".
    >>>

    >> Oh, THAT really helps!! 8-) 8-)
    >>

    > Don't know what "f s c n c e ""*""" might mean or do but I'd suggest
    > spelling it out in full if you are going to put it in a command file!
    > Abbreviation is great for interactive use but for use in command files
    > that may have to be deciphered by others, commands should be given in full!

    Hi Dragon,

    It's:

    NCL> flush session control naming cache entry "*"

    The single letter "sentence" does work. 8-)

    Jeff

  14. Re: NCL question

    Jeff Campbell wrote:
    > Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    >> Jeff Campbell wrote:

    >>> Oh, THAT really helps!! 8-) 8-)
    >>>

    >> Don't know what "f s c n c e ""*""" might mean or do but I'd suggest
    >> spelling it out in full if you are going to put it in a command file!
    >> Abbreviation is great for interactive use but for use in command files
    >> that may have to be deciphered by others, commands should be given in
    >> full!
    >>

    > Hi Dragon,
    >
    > It's:
    >
    > NCL> flush session control naming cache entry "*"
    >
    > The single letter "sentence" does work. 8-)

    Thanks. I'm sure is does "work" but if I need to ask an expert to
    decipher it, it's too cryptic!

    Since first encountering this stuff, I've been careful to install Phase
    IV rather than Phase V!!! It may be the greatest thing since sliced
    bread but I will manage to get along without it somehow.

  15. Re: NCL question

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

    > Don't know what "f s c n c e ""*""" might mean or do but I'd suggest
    > spelling it out in full if you are going to put it in a command file!

    [airplane !!! mode]
    No. That is exactly what your successor will expect.
    [/airplane !!! mode]

    Besides, if your successor comes from unix land, he'll be used to
    cryptic commands :-)

+ Reply to Thread