TCPIP SH HOST - VMS

This is a discussion on TCPIP SH HOST - VMS ; It would be useful to also display all aliases -- PL/I for OpenVMS www.kednos.com...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: TCPIP SH HOST

  1. TCPIP SH HOST

    It would be useful to also display all aliases

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  2. Re: TCPIP SH HOST

    In article , "Tom Linden"
    writes:

    > It would be useful to also display all aliases


    What do you mean? I get a comma-separated list containing the main
    entry and the aliases.


  3. Re: TCPIP SH HOST

    On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 09:10:32 -0700, Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to
    reply wrote:

    > In article , "Tom Linden"
    > writes:
    >
    >> It would be useful to also display all aliases

    >
    > What do you mean? I get a comma-separated list containing the main
    > entry and the aliases.
    >

    Only for the node you are on. Maybe the correct question would be how
    to enter the aliases of the other nodes.


    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  4. Re: TCPIP SH HOST

    On Jun 8, 5:31 pm, "Tom Linden" wrote:
    > On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 09:10:32 -0700, Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to
    >
    > reply wrote:
    > > In article , "Tom Linden"
    > > writes:

    >
    > >> It would be useful to also display all aliases

    >
    > > What do you mean? I get a comma-separated list containing the main
    > > entry and the aliases.

    >
    > Only for the node you are on. Maybe the correct question would be how
    > to enter the aliases of the other nodes.
    >
    > --
    > PL/I for OpenVMSwww.kednos.com


    TCPIP SHOW HOST xxx does the IP address, name and aliases on the UCX
    V5.6 systems I have here. To add aliases

    TCPIP SET HOST hostname /ALIAS=aaaaa

    You may need to place hostname and aaaa in quotes to preserve case.

    (See TCPIP HELP SET HOST)

  5. Re: TCPIP SH HOST

    On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 02:03:13 -0700, IanMiller wrote:

    > On Jun 8, 5:31 pm, "Tom Linden" wrote:
    >> On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 09:10:32 -0700, Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to
    >>
    >> reply wrote:
    >> > In article , "Tom

    >> Linden"
    >> > writes:

    >>
    >> >> It would be useful to also display all aliases

    >>
    >> > What do you mean? I get a comma-separated list containing the main
    >> > entry and the aliases.

    >>
    >> Only for the node you are on. Maybe the correct question would be how
    >> to enter the aliases of the other nodes.
    >>
    >> --
    >> PL/I for OpenVMSwww.kednos.com

    >
    > TCPIP SHOW HOST xxx does the IP address, name and aliases on the UCX
    > V5.6 systems I have here. To add aliases
    >
    > TCPIP SET HOST hostname /ALIAS=aaaaa
    >
    > You may need to place hostname and aaaa in quotes to preserve case.
    >
    > (See TCPIP HELP SET HOST)


    OK, a few more questions

    How is HOSTS.DAT used, it only has Localhost in it?
    Could you put all the IP info in it, as is done on Unix?

    Is it possible to have only one central copy of TCPIP$HOST.DAT in the
    cluster
    on a separate disk?

    Aliases should not go into the BIND database, right?


    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  6. Re: TCPIP SH HOST

    Tom Linden wrote:

    > How is HOSTS.DAT used, it only has Localhost in it?
    > Could you put all the IP info in it, as is done on Unix?



    The name RESOLVER on a node, when asked to translate a host to an IP,
    will first look into its local hosts database, and if not found there,
    sends a DNS request to the configured DNS server(s).

    The HOST database is required if you have entered a fully qualified host
    NAME as a DNS server. You will need to be able to resolve that one
    locally before you can access extrenal DNS servers.

    You also want the local node defined in the hosts database, I think it
    helps with TCPIP startup (stuff that happens before external DNS is
    available).


    > Is it possible to have only one central copy of TCPIP$HOST.DAT in the
    > cluster
    > on a separate disk?


    Not sure about it. But SHOW LOG TCPIP$HOST does seem to provide for a
    way to move the hosts file

    it is defined by default in:
    "TCPIP$HOST" = "SYS$COMMON:[SYSEXE]TCPIP$HOST.DAT;1"

    Not sure how you would go about properly defining it during TCPIP
    startup though. (aka: making sure it is defined early enough that erly
    TCPIP stuff doesn't use the default location).

+ Reply to Thread