Re: You're not being the ball Danny. (Was: OpenVMS Boot Camp Update) - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: You're not being the ball Danny. (Was: OpenVMS Boot Camp Update) - VMS ; pos schrieb: > VMS is a cash cow for > HP: so how much milk do they make from this "cash cow" nowadays ? Last time I checked, BCS, to which VMS belongs, (among HP-UX and all other serious computing ...

  1. Re: You're not being the ball Danny. (Was: OpenVMS Boot Camp Update)

    pos schrieb:

    > VMS is a cash cow for
    > HP:

    so how much milk do they make from this "cash cow" nowadays ?

    Last time I checked, BCS, to which VMS belongs,
    (among HP-UX and all other serious computing that is left
    from HP+Compaq+DEC combined) had revenues less than $4Bn per
    year, with a margin of ca 8%. If you break that further down
    to the tiny fraction VMS has inside BCS, the number is
    hardly impressive in view of HP's total revenue of $100Bn,
    with a margin of at least 8% as well.

  2. Re: You're not being the ball Danny. (Was: OpenVMS Boot Camp Update)

    On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 09:17:20 -0700, Michael Kraemer
    wrote:

    > Last time I checked, BCS, to which VMS belongs,
    > (among HP-UX and all other serious computing that is left
    > from HP+Compaq+DEC combined) had revenues less than $4Bn per
    > year, with a margin of ca 8%.

    where did you find that?

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  3. Re: You're not being the ball Danny. (Was: OpenVMS Boot Camp Update)

    There has been a couple of reviews of the bootcamp posted on
    openvms.org including mine.

    Perhaps people reading this thread would read them to get other views
    on the event.

  4. Re: You're not being the ball Danny. (Was: OpenVMS Boot Camp Update)

    Tom Linden schrieb:

    > where did you find that?

    as said, last time I checked was Q2 2007
    (but somehow I doubt things have changed much):

    http://www.openvms.org/stories.php?s.../05/17/3285093

    says ESS is < $5B per quarter,
    with BCS (includes VMS) contributing < 20%,
    that's $4B per year.
    Margin is some 8 or 9%
    (not much better than the ink divisions, IIRC).
    I think last year theres was a thread here on this topic
    (" Question for the Group").

+ Reply to Thread