Has anybody ported VAX notes to Integrity? - VMS

This is a discussion on Has anybody ported VAX notes to Integrity? - VMS ; Inquiring minds want to know. Second topic: mediawiki on VMS. will the guy who runs the VAMP board send me an email? I've forgotten who I am there. Thanks, WWWebb...

  1. Has anybody ported VAX notes to Integrity?

    Inquiring minds want to know.

    Second topic: mediawiki on VMS.

    will the guy who runs the VAMP board send me an email?

    I've forgotten who I am there.

    Thanks,

    WWWebb

  2. Re: Has anybody ported VAX notes to Integrity?

    In article <8660a3a10806061615m71061468t4cc16431cecd1709@mail. gmail.com>, "William Webb" writes:
    > Inquiring minds want to know.

    Notes for IA64 is on the OpenVMS Freeware V7.0

  3. Re: Has anybody ported VAX notes to Integrity?

    Graham Burley wrote:
    > In article <8660a3a10806061615m71061468t4cc16431cecd1709@mail. gmail.com>, "William Webb" writes:
    >> Inquiring minds want to know.

    > Notes for IA64 is on the OpenVMS Freeware V7.0

    On that same "note" - wasn't there an web interface for Notes?

  4. Re: Has anybody ported VAX notes to Integrity?

    Michael Austin wrote:

    > On that same "note" - wasn't there an web interface for Notes?

    I believe this had been developped on eisner/>decuserve/ name of the user gorup is this week>serve.

  5. Re: Has anybody ported VAX notes to Integrity?

    Michael Austin writes:

    >Graham Burley wrote:
    >> In article <8660a3a10806061615m71061468t4cc16431cecd1709@mail. gmail.com>, "William Webb" writes:
    >>> Inquiring minds want to know.

    >> Notes for IA64 is on the OpenVMS Freeware V7.0
    >>

    >On that same "note" - wasn't there an web interface for Notes?

    There was a web interface to Notes within Digital; I don't know what
    became of it.

    Notes does speak TCPIP as well, so it can be used over the internet.

    Who still uses Notes? Even within HP, except for a very limited few
    (including a couple by the VMS group), Notes is practically dead.

  6. Re: Has anybody ported VAX notes to Integrity?

    On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 10:28 PM, Michael Moroney
    wrote:
    > Michael Austin writes:
    >
    >>Graham Burley wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Notes for IA64 is on the OpenVMS Freeware V7.0
    >>>

    >>On that same "note" - wasn't there an web interface for Notes?

    > There was a web interface to Notes within Digital; I don't know what
    > became of it.
    >
    > Notes does speak TCPIP as well, so it can be used over the internet.
    >
    > Who still uses Notes? Even within HP, except for a very limited few
    > (including a couple by the VMS group), Notes is practically dead.

    The Deathrow Cluster does.

    And their groups are quite lively sometimes, due to the nature of the users.

    WWWebb

  7. Re: Has anybody ported VAX notes to Integrity?

    Michael Moroney wrote:

    > Who still uses Notes? Even within HP, except for a very limited few
    > (including a couple by the VMS group), Notes is practically dead.

    I still have a few notes files. Have been thinking at a low priority of
    how I will move their contents to a modern platform as those are more of
    a "reference" material. ALL-IN-1 has scriptable access to NOTES, so once
    I have decided how to move those to a new system, it should be
    relatively easy to extract the data and move it.

  8. Re: Has anybody ported VAX notes to Integrity?

    In article , Michael Austin writes:

    > On that same "note" - wasn't there an web interface for Notes?

    There's a web interface and a news (nntp) interface, both are in use
    on DECUServe and Deathrow.

    The web interface is called HTNotes and supports authenticated and
    anonymous access, works with WASD, OSU, and Apache (with MOD_OSUSCRIPT
    and some tinkering). I'm slowly working on an new version that looks
    better and will hopefully include an RSS feed.

    http://www.decuserve.org/~burley/

    The news (nntp) interface is called NNTP_NOTES, it only supports
    authenticated access. I haven't released this yet, but can provide
    it if anyone is interested.

    The original read-only Notes web access at DECUServe was based on
    scripts by Roland Kessi, but went through some major reworking by
    DECUServers. I think DECUS Germany also produced a read/write Notes
    web interface.

  9. Current Notes usage, was: Re: Has anybody ported VAX notes to

    In article <8660a3a10806072008i2c2f4c8ep67eba629ea424754@mail. gmail.com>, "William Webb" writes:
    > On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 10:28 PM, Michael Moroney
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> Who still uses Notes? Even within HP, except for a very limited few
    >> (including a couple by the VMS group), Notes is practically dead.
    >>

    > The Deathrow Cluster does.
    >
    > And their groups are quite lively sometimes, due to the nature of the users.

    It's also a core part of Eisner, with a large range of topics from the
    technical to discussions on current issues.

    If you come to look, please note that the current members try very hard
    to maintain a professional and polite manner, even when discussing subjects
    in which there are significant disagreements, which is something that I
    have always liked about Eisner.

    Simon.

    Microsoft: Bringing you 1980's technology to a 21st century world

  10. Re: Has anybody ported VAX notes to Integrity?

    "Michael Moroney" wrote in message
    > Michael Austin writes:
    >
    >>Graham Burley wrote:
    >>> In article
    >>> <8660a3a10806061615m71061468t4cc16431cecd1709@mail. gmail.com>, "William
    >>>
    >>> Notes for IA64 is on the OpenVMS Freeware V7.0
    >>>

    >>On that same "note" - wasn't there an web interface for Notes?

    > There was a web interface to Notes within Digital; I don't know what
    > became of it.
    >
    > Notes does speak TCPIP as well, so it can be used over the internet.
    >
    > Who still uses Notes? Even within HP, except for a very limited few
    > (including a couple by the VMS group), Notes is practically dead.

    NOTES usage within HP is still very much alive and well.

  11. Re: Has anybody ported VAX notes to Integrity?

    Michael Moroney wrote:

    > Who still uses Notes? Even within HP, except for a very limited few
    > (including a couple by the VMS group), Notes is practically dead.

    As Jilly said, Notes is still heavily used in the OpenVMS organization.
    We have so much history in the notesfiles (which can be searched) and
    it runs on OpenVMS.

    --
    John Reagan
    OpenVMS Pascal/Macro-32 Project Leader