From: Info-PDP11-Bounce@dbit.com [mailto:Info-PDP11-Bounce@dbit.com] On
Behalf Of Zane H. Healy
Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2008 8:45 AM
To: dave@mynatt.biz; Info-PDP11@dbit.com
Subject: Re: Assistance

At 9:03 AM -0600 6/5/08, D. Mynatt wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm the program director for a non-profit in Colorado and I am looking
>for a PDP-11 that we could use to train and introduce students to early
>computing systems. I know PCs are available and used instead, but I
>was hoping someone may have a surplus, give away
>PDP-11 or other mini-mainframe that we could pick up and cart away.
>I see that at one time you had a couple surplus units, and I was
>hopeful they may still be available.
>
>I'm not sure such a thing exists, but if I don't ask I'll never know
>and it would be a great addition to our program if we could get one.
>I used a PDP-11/45 when I worked for AT&T and thing if I could load an
>OS and a compiler of some type it would be a great learning tool.
>
>Thank you for your consideration and if you don't know of something
>free to a non-profit, I would be most appreciative if you could refer
>me on to someone. I'd appreciate your help.

This is actually an email list. Though I seem to recall at some point
someone in Colorado looking to get rid of stuff.

As a non-profit I'm not sure what your OS options will be (there is always
UNIX). You might want consider taking a look at emulating a system rather
than running on real hardware. The downside of emulation for something like
this is that it is quite a bit slower and you can't put your hands on the
hardware. The following will help point you in the right direction should
you choose to go the emulation route.
http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/decemu.html

If you go the hardware route, take what you can get when you can get it,
soon you'll have enough to put together a working system. Also, even though
you're interested in a PDP-11, a Q-Bus based MicroVAX can be useful in
getting the PDP-11 running since the disk controllers tend to work on both
Q-Bus based PDP-11's and MicroVAXen.

Zane

| healyzh@aracnet.com (primary) | OpenVMS Enthusiast |
| http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/ |