what is the availability of java on VMS? - VMS

This is a discussion on what is the availability of java on VMS? - VMS ; Is java available on OpenVMS? What version of java? For which version(s) of OpenVMS? There is a java program running on a non-VMS machine that needs to talk to a process we will have to write on VMS. The program ...

  1. what is the availability of java on VMS?

    Is java available on OpenVMS? What version of java? For which
    version(s) of OpenVMS?

    There is a java program running on a non-VMS machine that needs to
    talk to a process we will have to write on VMS. The program uses java
    sockets. Is this doable? Hopefully java 5 will be available....

    Regards,

    Andrew Marlow

  2. Re: what is the availability of java on VMS?

    On Jun 5, 11:06*am, marlow.and...@googlemail.com wrote:
    > Is java available on OpenVMS? What version of java? For which
    > version(s) of OpenVMS?
    >
    > There is a java program running on a non-VMS machine that needs to
    > talk to a process we will have to write on VMS. The program uses java
    > sockets. Is this doable? Hopefully java 5 will be available....
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Andrew Marlow

    Have you tried:

    http://h18012.www1.hp.com/java/download/index.html

  3. Re: what is the availability of java on VMS?

    Entering the search

    openvms java

    into Google gives
    "Java™ Technology Software"
    http://h18012.www1.hp.com/java/alpha/

    On that page, under the Java 5.0 for OpenVMS Alpha JDK says:
    "The JDK 5.0-4 kit is available for OpenVMS Alpha Version 8.2 and
    higher."

    Sean

    On Jun 5, 8:06*am, marlow.and...@googlemail.com wrote:
    > Is java available on OpenVMS? What version of java? For which
    > version(s) of OpenVMS?
    >
    > There is a java program running on a non-VMS machine that needs to
    > talk to a process we will have to write on VMS. The program uses java
    > sockets. Is this doable? Hopefully java 5 will be available....
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Andrew Marlow

  4. Re: what is the availability of java on VMS?

    On Jun 5, 4:06 pm, marlow.and...@googlemail.com wrote:
    > Is java available on OpenVMS? What version of java? For which
    > version(s) of OpenVMS?
    >
    > There is a java program running on a non-VMS machine that needs to
    > talk to a process we will have to write on VMS. The program uses java
    > sockets. Is this doable? Hopefully java 5 will be available....
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Andrew Marlow

    See
    http://h18012.www1.hp.com/java/downl...5.0/index.html

    See also
    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/ebusiness/...gsdkguide.html
    and for a reality check
    http://www.theminimumyouneedtoknow.c...n_openvms.html

  5. Re: what is the availability of java on VMS?

    marlow.andrew@googlemail.com wrote:

    > Is java available on OpenVMS?........
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Andrew Marlow

    Have you *at all* looked at the main VMS page ???

  6. Re: what is the availability of java on VMS?

    In article , marlow.andrew@googlemail.com writes:
    > Is java available on OpenVMS? What version of java? For which
    > version(s) of OpenVMS?

    Java rnus on VMS if the hardware is Alpha or Itanium, but not VAX.

    > There is a java program running on a non-VMS machine that needs to
    > talk to a process we will have to write on VMS. The program uses java
    > sockets. Is this doable? Hopefully java 5 will be available....

    Java sockets? Didn't know there was such a thing. Are you sure
    they aren't using Java's API for ordinary TCP/IP sockets? Those
    are accessable from any language on VMS.

  7. Re: what is the availability of java on VMS?

    Hi Andrew,

    > Hopefully java 5 will be available....

    Java 5 is available. (Java 6 must still be on a road map detour somewhere -
    like OS-X :-)

    > talk to a process we will have to write on VMS.

    If you have to write it then presumably you're not porting some existing
    Java code? In which case let me float the idea of using one of VMS's own
    optimized compilers for the task, and not bother with Java and it's
    garbage-collector at all. If you're happy with one server process for each
    Java client, then you can simply use the standard INETd mechanism.
    Alternatively, if you're interested in any of (Transparent multi-threading.
    Connection-oriented and context-rich client interaction. Full VMS
    authentication and Auditing. Application based tuning and configuration
    including full TP Monitor capabilities.) then you may want to look at Tier3,
    two examples of which can be found at: -

    http://manson.vistech.net/t3$examples/demo_client_web.html
    http://manson.vistech.net/t3$examples/demo_client_flex.html

    Username: TIER3_DEMO
    Password: QUEUE

    Both use the same Java Applet and Java Sockets ( Source can be seen at
    http://manson.vistech.net/t3$examples/ ) to talk to VMS server processes.

    Cheers Richard Maher

    wrote in message
    > Is java available on OpenVMS? What version of java? For which
    > version(s) of OpenVMS?
    >
    > There is a java program running on a non-VMS machine that needs to
    > talk to a process we will have to write on VMS. The program uses java
    > sockets. Is this doable? Hopefully java 5 will be available....
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Andrew Marlow

  8. Re: what is the availability of java on VMS?

    Bob Koehler wrote:
    > In article , marlow.andrew@googlemail.com writes:
    >> There is a java program running on a non-VMS machine that needs to
    >> talk to a process we will have to write on VMS. The program uses java
    >> sockets. Is this doable? Hopefully java 5 will be available....

    > Java sockets? Didn't know there was such a thing. Are you sure
    > they aren't using Java's API for ordinary TCP/IP sockets? Those
    > are accessable from any language on VMS.

    For text and a "normal" binary format then any language should
    work.

    But if they are using ObjectInputStream/ObjectOutputStream
    on top of the socket, then they really need Java.

    Arne

  9. Re: what is the availability of java on VMS?

    At the risk of being beaten profusely for plugging my own wares...

    For code and examples of how to communicate from Java on Ubuntu to
    services on OpenVMS, you should get a copy of "The Minimum You Need to
    Know About Service Oriented Architecture". Your good friend David is
    handling the book at Island Computers.

    If you really want to write Java on OpenVMS, then you might find "The
    Minimum You Need to Know About Java on OpenVMS" useful. Once again,
    your good friend David handles sales of this book as well.

    On Jun 5, 10:06 am, marlow.and...@googlemail.com wrote:
    > Is java available on OpenVMS? What version of java? For which
    > version(s) of OpenVMS?
    >
    > There is a java program running on a non-VMS machine that needs to
    > talk to a process we will have to write on VMS. The program uses java
    > sockets. Is this doable? Hopefully java 5 will be available....
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Andrew Marlow

+ Reply to Thread