Re: Need an external CD/DVD writer for DS10. - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: Need an external CD/DVD writer for DS10. - VMS ; From: "Colin Butcher" > I've successfully used an old HP 9600 series SCSI CD-RW drive with a DS10 > and OpenVMS V7.3-2 and the CDRECORD s/w. And I've used any number of old Yamaha CD-writing drives on my old VAX ...

  1. Re: Need an external CD/DVD writer for DS10.

    From: "Colin Butcher"

    > I've successfully used an old HP 9600 series SCSI CD-RW drive with a DS10
    > and OpenVMS V7.3-2 and the CDRECORD s/w.

    And I've used any number of old Yamaha CD-writing drives on my old
    VAX and Alpha systems, including the new(est old junk) drive:

    alp $ show devi /full cdr

    Disk ALP$DKB500:, device type YAMAHA CRW2100S, is online, file-oriented device,
    shareable, available to cluster, error logging is enabled.
    [...]

    lately, using (a modified edition of):

    alp $ cdrecord --version
    Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 2.01.01a37 (Alpha-HP-VMS/OpenVMS) Copyright (C) 1995
    -2008 Jörg Schilling

    but the request was for a "CD/DVD writer", and that would seem (to me)
    to require a DVD-writing drive. For that, I use an IDE ("SONY DVD RW
    AW-Q170A") drive in an otherwise idle XP1000, where operating the drive
    at any speed pretty well saturates the (500MHz) CPU, making it a
    sub-ideal solution.

    Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-info
    382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

  2. Re: Need an external CD/DVD writer for DS10.

    a0da-1e247a8faf92@d1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>, tadamsmar
    writes:
> [...]
    CD/

    |>> Find out what HP is shipping with their Itanium servers. These
    *may* also
    |>> function on the Alpha with the ATAPI/SCSI converter.
    |>
    |> Someone recently recommended some kit for an HP-UX user,
    including a
    |>Q1592B, which seems to be a real SCSI DVD-writer. (Funny device
    names
    |>("=" in a device name?) for USB devices on HP-UX apparently defeated
    |>some software there.)
    |>
    |>http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/fo...tionanswer.do?
    threadId=1237083

    |>A quick Web search suggested that this drive sells for about $600,
    which
    |>is (much) more than I pay for whole computers. Of course, while it
    |>might be cheaper to buy an XP1000 and put a $40 IDE DVD drive into
    it,
    |>it'd probably also be much slower than a real SCSI solution.
    |>
    |> Is anyone using a USB-connected DVD drive on VMS (Alpha)?

    As long as Alpha only acts as USB V1.1 that is too slow, it is not
    meaningful
    to use USB. OpenVMS/I64 V8.3-1H1 has USB V2.0. There is a chance to
    get
    the driver update for OpenVMS/Alpha, too, if you ask the author of the
    USB-stuff.

    Eberhard

+ Reply to Thread