Configuring MicroVAX 3100 Ethernet (Stupid Network-HardwareQuestions) - VMS

This is a discussion on Configuring MicroVAX 3100 Ethernet (Stupid Network-HardwareQuestions) - VMS ; Hello, My company is moving to a new data center and I received this message: "Also, all of the switches at [the new data center] are gigibit switches and all the ports are set to AUTO. Therefore, server settings for ...

  1. Configuring MicroVAX 3100 Ethernet (Stupid Network-HardwareQuestions)

    Hello,

    My company is moving to a new data center and I received this message:

    "Also, all of the switches at [the new data center] are gigibit
    switches and all the ports are set to AUTO. Therefore, server
    settings for "Speed and Duplex" on the network cards should be set to
    AUTO. If the server only has a 100MB network card, please inform the
    network group."

    I have some MicroVAX 3100 Model 80s, 95s, and one 90.

    I have 2 types of transceivers:

    MADGE LE 46T transceiver with redundancy (IEE 802.3 10 BASE T) which
    has the following controls: Enable or Disable: SQE, MOD (T+, T), EXS,
    PRI

    CenterCOM(TM) 210T twisted pair tansceiver IEE 802.3 10 BASE T (MAU)

    Questions:

    What are these transceiver settings and how should they be set (mostly
    how they should be set!) (They are all in the disable and T
    positions.)

    Why do I even need transceivers?

    Is there anything configurable on the NIC? If so, what do I need to do
    and how?

    Is there anything I need to do except tell the network group it's 10
    Mb/sec Ethernet?

    Are there any duplex settings? If not, is it half or full?

    Thanks!

    AEF

  2. Re: Configuring MicroVAX 3100 Ethernet (Stupid Network-HardwareQuestions)

    On Jun 4, 11:26 am, AEF wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > My company is moving to a new data center and I received this message:
    >
    > "Also, all of the switches at [the new data center] are gigibit
    > switches and all the ports are set to AUTO. Therefore, server
    > settings for "Speed and Duplex" on the network cards should be set to
    > AUTO. If the server only has a 100MB network card, please inform the
    > network group."
    >
    > I have some MicroVAX 3100 Model 80s, 95s, and one 90.
    >
    > I have 2 types of transceivers:
    >
    > MADGE LE 46T transceiver with redundancy (IEE 802.3 10 BASE T) which
    > has the following controls: Enable or Disable: SQE, MOD (T+, T), EXS,
    > PRI
    >
    > CenterCOM(TM) 210T twisted pair tansceiver IEE 802.3 10 BASE T (MAU)
    >
    > Questions:
    >
    > What are these transceiver settings and how should they be set (mostly
    > how they should be set!) (They are all in the disable and T
    > positions.)
    >
    > Why do I even need transceivers?
    >
    > Is there anything configurable on the NIC? If so, what do I need to do
    > and how?
    >
    > Is there anything I need to do except tell the network group it's 10
    > Mb/sec Ethernet?
    >
    > Are there any duplex settings? If not, is it half or full?

    My recollection...from about a decade ago when I last
    had MicroVaxes...is that there were no duplex settings
    on the Thinwire/10-Base-T transceivers, but that we
    set the network switches to full-duplex. Yes, there
    *is* a difference: you can run either half-duplex or
    full-duplex over 10-Base-T (and other twisted pair),
    but if the two ends don't match, there are difficult
    to trace communications problems (that is, you
    don't get a hard failure, just poor response with a
    lot of retries, or similar).

    -Ken

  3. Re: Configuring MicroVAX 3100 Ethernet (Stupid Network-HardwareQuestions)

    10Mb Half.

    They will have to find some intermediate box to mediate between the
    hardware generations. A switch that does 10 and 100 perhaps.

  4. Re: Configuring MicroVAX 3100 Ethernet (Stupid Network-HardwareQuestions)

    On Jun 5, 3:55 am, IanMiller wrote:
    > 10Mb Half.
    >
    > They will have to find some intermediate box to mediate between the
    > hardware generations. A switch that does 10 and 100 perhaps.

    Thanks Ian and Ken.

    I'll be away for a while and may not have Internet access. I'll answer
    any questions upon my return next week.

    Ciao.

    AEF

+ Reply to Thread