ES45s, SANs and SAN replication - VMS

This is a discussion on ES45s, SANs and SAN replication - VMS ; I want to use a SAN and SAN replication software on an ES45 cluster running OpenVMS 7.3-2. The SAN in question was going to be from EMC but it might now be from IBM. I am trying to find out ...

  1. ES45s, SANs and SAN replication

    I want to use a SAN and SAN replication software on an ES45 cluster
    running OpenVMS 7.3-2. The SAN in question was going to be from EMC
    but it might now be from IBM. I am trying to find out if IBM SANs will
    work with this version of VMS. If it does I also want to know what SAN
    replication software can be used. I would be suprised if EMC's SRDF
    will work with a non-EMC SAN but you never know. Plus there may be
    other SRDF-like products out there I don't know about. Can anyone
    advise me please?

    Regards,

    Andrew Marlow

  2. Re: ES45s, SANs and SAN replication

    marlow.andrew@googlemail.com wrote:
    > I want to use a SAN and SAN replication software on an ES45 cluster
    > running OpenVMS 7.3-2. The SAN in question was going to be from EMC
    > but it might now be from IBM. I am trying to find out if IBM SANs will
    > work with this version of VMS. If it does I also want to know what SAN
    > replication software can be used. I would be suprised if EMC's SRDF
    > will work with a non-EMC SAN but you never know. Plus there may be
    > other SRDF-like products out there I don't know about. Can anyone
    > advise me please?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Andrew Marlow

    Why not use the Volume Shadowing on your ES45 servers?
    It doesn't use much of the CPU resources and it works with any storage
    solution that can be used with OpenVMS. Then you don't have to depend on
    other software. I guess the VS is also cheaper than the storage based
    replication solutions.

    Regards,

    Kari

  3. Re: ES45s, SANs and SAN replication

    On 4 Jun, 18:19, Kari Uusimäki
    wrote:
    > marlow.and...@googlemail.com wrote:
    > > I want to use a SAN and SAN replication software on an ES45 cluster
    > > running OpenVMS 7.3-2. The SAN in question was going to be from EMC
    > > but it might now be from IBM. I am trying to find out if IBM SANs will
    > > work with this version of VMS. If it does I also want to know what SAN
    > > replication software can be used. I would be suprised if EMC's SRDF
    > > will work with a non-EMC SAN but you never know. Plus there may be
    > > other SRDF-like products out there I don't know about. Can anyone
    > > advise me please?

    > > Regards,

    > > Andrew Marlow

    > Why not use the Volume Shadowing on your ES45 servers?
    > It doesn't use much of the CPU resources and it works with any storage
    > solution that can be used with OpenVMS. Then you don't have to depend on
    > other software. I guess the VS is also cheaper than the storage based
    > replication solutions.

    SAN replication is for DR reasons. The replication is going to happen
    between very separate sites (London and Geneva).

    > Regards,
    >
    > Kari

  4. Re: ES45s, SANs and SAN replication

    FWIW You can get an HP approved SAnswitch for quite low pricing
    We have NEW overstock 2Gbit SAN switches available from HP right now
    If you want a quote let me know

    --
    David B Turner

    Island Computers US Corp
    PO Box 86
    Tybee GA 31328

    Toll Free: 1-877 636 4332 x201, Mobile x251
    Email: dturner@islandco.com
    International & Local: (001)- 404-806-7749
    Fax: 912 786 8505
    Web: www.islandco.com

    wrote in message
    >I want to use a SAN and SAN replication software on an ES45 cluster
    > running OpenVMS 7.3-2. The SAN in question was going to be from EMC
    > but it might now be from IBM. I am trying to find out if IBM SANs will
    > work with this version of VMS. If it does I also want to know what SAN
    > replication software can be used. I would be suprised if EMC's SRDF
    > will work with a non-EMC SAN but you never know. Plus there may be
    > other SRDF-like products out there I don't know about. Can anyone
    > advise me please?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Andrew Marlow

  5. Re: ES45s, SANs and SAN replication

    http://h71028.www7.hp.com/ERC/downlo...A1-2219ENW.pdf

    FWIW - This link may prove useful

    --

    wrote in message
    >I want to use a SAN and SAN replication software on an ES45 cluster
    > running OpenVMS 7.3-2. The SAN in question was going to be from EMC
    > but it might now be from IBM. I am trying to find out if IBM SANs will
    > work with this version of VMS. If it does I also want to know what SAN
    > replication software can be used. I would be suprised if EMC's SRDF
    > will work with a non-EMC SAN but you never know. Plus there may be
    > other SRDF-like products out there I don't know about. Can anyone
    > advise me please?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Andrew Marlow

  6. Re: ES45s, SANs and SAN replication

    David Turner, Island Computers wrote:

    > FWIW You can get an HP approved SAnswitch for quite low pricing
    > We have NEW overstock 2Gbit SAN switches available from HP right now
    > If you want a quote let me know

    It's good to know that there are other SAN products that work with the
    version of OpenVMS that comes on ES45s. So, thanks for that. I also
    want to know what SAN
    replication software can be used. I would be suprised if EMC's SRDF
    will work with a non-EMC SAN but you never know. Plus there may be
    other SRDF-like products out there I don't know about. Can anyone
    advise me please?

    Regards,

    Andrew Marlow

    > --
    > David B Turner

  7. Re: ES45s, SANs and SAN replication

    David Turner, Island Computers wrote:

    > http://h71028.www7.hp.com/ERC/downlo...A1-2219ENW.pdf
    >
    > FWIW - This link may prove useful

    Hmm. Architecture 3 looks like what I want. The SANs are connected by
    a dedicated fibre link. I am not sure that is what we have or what we
    anticipate to have. I will do some research. I have heard that the
    SANs will be IBM DS8100s, which do support OpenVMS v7.3-2.

    > --
    > David B Turner

+ Reply to Thread