Re: Need an external CD/DVD writer for DS10. - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: Need an external CD/DVD writer for DS10. - VMS ; From: VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG > In article , tadamsmar writes: > >We have a DS10 running 7.2.1. Any suggestions for a compatible CD/ > >DVD writer? > > > >Need an external one with an SCSI connector. > Find out what ...

  1. Re: Need an external CD/DVD writer for DS10.

    From: VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG

    > In article <8b386066-cc79-4d0e-a0da-1e247a8faf92@d1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>, tadamsmar writes:
    > >We have a DS10 running 7.2.1. Any suggestions for a compatible CD/
    > >DVD writer?
    > >
    > >Need an external one with an SCSI connector.

    > Find out what HP is shipping with their Itanium servers. These *may* also
    > function on the Alpha with the ATAPI/SCSI converter.

    Someone recently recommended some kit for an HP-UX user, including a
    Q1592B, which seems to be a real SCSI DVD-writer. (Funny device names
    ("=" in a device name?) for USB devices on HP-UX apparently defeated
    some software there.)

    http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/fo...readId=1237083

    A quick Web search suggested that this drive sells for about $600, which
    is (much) more than I pay for whole computers. Of course, while it
    might be cheaper to buy an XP1000 and put a $40 IDE DVD drive into it,
    it'd probably also be much slower than a real SCSI solution.

    Is anyone using a USB-connected DVD drive on VMS (Alpha)?

    Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-info
    382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

  2. Re: Need an external CD/DVD writer for DS10.

    Looks to me like a hot pluggable regular ATAPI DVD with a ATAPI to UW SCSI
    converter on the back.
    In most cases you cannot boot from these unless using Weendoze or Linux as
    far as we are aware
    ref the Q1592B

    DT

    --
    David B Turner

    Island Computers US Corp
    PO Box 86
    Tybee GA 31328

    Toll Free: 1-877 636 4332 x201, Mobile x251
    Email: dturner@islandco.com
    International & Local: (001)- 404-806-7749
    Fax: 912 786 8505
    Web: www.islandco.com

    "Steven M. Schweda" wrote in message
    > From: VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG
    >
    >> In article
    >> <8b386066-cc79-4d0e-a0da-1e247a8faf92@d1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
    >> tadamsmar writes:
    >> >We have a DS10 running 7.2.1. Any suggestions for a compatible CD/
    >> >DVD writer?
    >> >
    >> >Need an external one with an SCSI connector.

    >> Find out what HP is shipping with their Itanium servers. These *may*
    >> also
    >> function on the Alpha with the ATAPI/SCSI converter.

    > Someone recently recommended some kit for an HP-UX user, including a
    > Q1592B, which seems to be a real SCSI DVD-writer. (Funny device names
    > ("=" in a device name?) for USB devices on HP-UX apparently defeated
    > some software there.)
    >
    > http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/fo...readId=1237083
    >
    > A quick Web search suggested that this drive sells for about $600, which
    > is (much) more than I pay for whole computers. Of course, while it
    > might be cheaper to buy an XP1000 and put a $40 IDE DVD drive into it,
    > it'd probably also be much slower than a real SCSI solution.
    >
    > Is anyone using a USB-connected DVD drive on VMS (Alpha)?

    > Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-info
    > 382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    > Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

  3. Re: Need an external CD/DVD writer for DS10.

    On Jun 3, 4:35*pm, s...@antinode.info (Steven M. Schweda) wrote:
    > * *Is anyone using a USB-connected DVD drive on VMS (Alpha)?

    Neat trick since USB support is disabled by the firmware on at least
    some
    of the Alpha models.

  4. Re: Need an external CD/DVD writer for DS10.

    In article , Rod writes:

    > Neat trick since USB support is disabled by the firmware on at least
    > some
    > of the Alpha models.

    The USB interface built into DS10L just doesn't work. Later Alphas
    have USB that are very much alive and well.

  5. Re: Need an external CD/DVD writer for DS10.

    In article , koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes:
    >In article , Rod writes:
    >>
    >> Neat trick since USB support is disabled by the firmware on at least
    >> some
    >> of the Alpha models.

    > The USB interface built into DS10L just doesn't work. Later Alphas
    > have USB that are very much alive and well.

    Not at all or just for OpenVMS? I was thinking of trying a Linux distro
    on a DS10L. Before I go pulling out large handfuls of hair (and those'd
    be big handfuls with my mop) trying to get it to support USB, this would
    be good to know.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  6. Re: Need an external CD/DVD writer for DS10.

    In article <484efe38$0$11606$607ed4bc@cv.net>, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:

    > Not at all or just for OpenVMS? I was thinking of trying a Linux distro
    > on a DS10L. Before I go pulling out large handfuls of hair (and those'd
    > be big handfuls with my mop) trying to get it to support USB, this would
    > be good to know.

    What I learned here is that the DS10L USB couldn't even be fixed by
    a firware upgrade, assuming one had the ability to burn a new PROM,
    or whatever it uses.

    If it had just been a driver issue, even a not-really-fixable issue,
    I would have looked into it further. A working USB would be a quick,
    cheap way to expand the storage on my DS10L.

    Maybe someday I'll buy an I/O card for the empty PCI slot instead.

+ Reply to Thread