Has anyone done REPLICATION using HSG80's and OVMS?? - VMS

This is a discussion on Has anyone done REPLICATION using HSG80's and OVMS?? - VMS ; Want to set up a DR config (Local and Remote) using RA8000's and replication between the two sites. OVMS ver 7.3 running on DS20e's. (Poor man's DR) Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Len...

  1. Has anyone done REPLICATION using HSG80's and OVMS??

    Want to set up a DR config (Local and Remote) using RA8000's and
    replication between the two sites. OVMS ver 7.3 running on DS20e's.
    (Poor man's DR)

    Any input would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Len

  2. Re: Has anyone done REPLICATION using HSG80's and OVMS??

    On Jun 2, 11:49*am, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    wrote:
    > LenW wrote:
    > > Want to set up a DR config (Local and Remote) using RA8000's and
    > > replication between the two sites. OVMS ver 7.3 running on DS20e's.
    > > (Poor man's DR)

    > > Any input would be greatly appreciated.

    > > Thanks,

    > > Len

    > Have you tested your ability to "fail over"? *If your primary site gets
    > nuked, you need to be certain that your DR site will pick up the load,
    > or at least any critical portions of the load.
    >
    > After you have failed over to your DR site, can you sync up your primary
    > site and switch back?
    >
    > Are your sites far enough apart that both will not be affected by a
    > common disaster? *If the same hurricane can wipe out both sites, you
    > have not accomplished much!!

    Hi Richard:

    I am not at that point yet. I'm still trying to find someone that has
    set
    up this type of config. Have you done it??

    Thanks,

    Len

  3. Re: Has anyone done REPLICATION using HSG80's and OVMS??

    Hello,

    When you say "replication", do you mean HSG80 controller based data copying
    ( a precursor to EVA continuous access), or do you mean OpenVMS host based
    volume shadowing (HBVS)? HBVS gives you synchronous replication of data at
    cluster level. DRM in the HSG80 does controller based replication.

    Assuming that yo umean HSG based replication then this is well worth reading
    through:
    http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/d.../c01150379.pdf -
    it's the DRM operations guide and discusses some of the design issues. Also
    see the "DRM" bits in the HSG80 CLI manual at
    http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/d.../c00309747.pdf

    What's the network connection distance between the sites (not the road
    distance)? How consistent is the round-trip delay?

    If you can use HBVS and build a split-site cluster, that's probably the
    "better" solution, provided that you have the necessary inter-site links
    (fibrechannel and ethernet) and that the latency is both reasonably
    consistent and acceptable to the applications.

    I'd strongly recommend moving to at least OpenVMS Alpha V7.3-2 if you can.
    Latest HSG80 firmware that does everything is V8.8P (plus patches).

    There's a whole load of other questions to be considered as well when you're
    designing and building disaster-tolerant systems. You might find this (from
    the October 2007 OpenVMS TUD in Utrecht) useful:
    http://www.downloads.xdelta.co.uk/hp...tcher-v1_0.pdf

    --
    Cheers, Colin.
    Legacy = Stuff that works properly!

  4. Re: Has anyone done REPLICATION using HSG80's and OVMS??

    Colin Butcher wrote:

    > I'd strongly recommend moving to at least OpenVMS Alpha V7.3-2 if you can.
    > Latest HSG80 firmware that does everything is V8.8P (plus patches).

    My client is also considering a move to OpenVMS v7.3-2 on ES45s,
    partly for DR reasons, though in this case the DR will be via SAN
    replication. This is because SAN replication is the general DR
    mechanism that has been chosen for the vast majority of other systems
    (which are not VMS-based). Hence this version of VMS must work with a
    SAN that can have SAN replication. Can you advise please? AFAIK the
    EMC products (their SAN and associated SRDF software) works fine with
    this but I cannot find any other vendor/products. HP themselves
    produce a SAN that works with this version of VMS but what about
    replication? Thre replication is between very remote sites so I dont
    think shadowing can be used.

    > Cheers, Colin.
    > Legacy = Stuff that works properly!

    Regards,

    Andrew Marlow

  5. Re: Has anyone done REPLICATION using HSG80's and OVMS??

    On Jun 5, 12:16*am, marlow.and...@googlemail.com wrote:
    > Colin Butcher wrote:
    > > I'd strongly recommend moving to at least OpenVMS Alpha V7.3-2 if you can.
    > > Latest HSG80 firmware that does everything is V8.8P (plus patches).

    > My client is also considering a move to OpenVMS v7.3-2 on ES45s,
    > partly for DR reasons, though in this case the DR will be via SAN
    > replication. This is because SAN replication is the general DR
    > mechanism that has been chosen for the vast majority of other systems
    > (which are not VMS-based). Hence this version of VMS must work with a
    > SAN that can have SAN replication. Can you advise please? AFAIK the
    > EMC products (their SAN and associated SRDF software) works fine with
    > this but I cannot find any other vendor/products. HP themselves
    > produce a SAN that works with this version of VMS but what about
    > replication? Thre replication is between very remote sites so I dont
    > think shadowing can be used.
    >
    > > Cheers, Colin.
    > > Legacy = Stuff that works properly!

    > Regards,
    >
    > Andrew Marlow

    Hi Andrew

    I have come up with a solution that solves the replication for OVMS
    however it is ONLY with OVMS and Tru64 UNIX. It is a little expensive
    but works with any version of OVMS. Please e-mail or call me directly
    if you want more specfic detalis.

    -Len Whitwer
    Puget Sound Data Systems, Inc.
    19501 144th Ave. NE Suite D-100
    Woodinville, WA 98072
    e-mail mailto:len@psds.com
    Internet: http://www.psds.com
    Toll Free: (866)857-0710
    Tel: (425) 488-0710
    Fax: (425) 488-6414

  6. Re: Has anyone done REPLICATION using HSG80's and OVMS??

    LenW wrote:

    > > My client is also considering a move to OpenVMS v7.3-2 on ES45s,
    > > partly for DR reasons, though in this case the DR will be via SAN
    > > replication. This is because SAN replication is the general DR
    > > mechanism that has been chosen for the vast majority of other systems

    > I have come up with a solution that solves the replication for OVMS
    > however it is ONLY with OVMS and Tru64 UNIX.

    Thanks for the offer but the restriction rules it out. For the long
    term I am trying to recommend solutions that do not tie my client to a
    single OS and/or single vendor.

  7. Re: Has anyone done REPLICATION using HSG80's and OVMS??

    In article <32d71174-446f-4b7c-8d13-7c297635ff77@k37g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, marlow.andrew@googlemail.com writes:

    > Thanks for the offer but the restriction rules it out. For the long
    > term I am trying to recommend solutions that do not tie my client to a
    > single OS and/or single vendor.

    You actually found a client that doesn't use MicroSoft?

+ Reply to Thread