MOUNT /ASSIST - VMS

This is a discussion on MOUNT /ASSIST - VMS ; I had a MOUNT command with an implicit /ASSIST in my SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM. When I changed the disk around this MOUNT command failed and VMS sent messages to the console asking that this be fixed. However I was unable to log ...

  1. MOUNT /ASSIST

    I had a MOUNT command with an implicit /ASSIST in my SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM.
    When I changed the disk around this MOUNT command failed and VMS sent
    messages to the console asking that this be fixed. However I was unable to
    log in to the machine to fix the issue, presumably because the login limit
    had not been opened up. What surprised me though was that I could not log in
    to the console either, and there was no way to do a clean shutdown.
    Fortunately I was able to put the old disk back and then change the MOUNT to
    specify /NOASSIST, so that the startup could complete.

    Now this is a hobbyist system so the consequences are irrelevant, but I am
    curious as to how you would get out of this situation in a production
    environment without doing what I was obliged to do. Did I miss something
    (other than not specifying /NOASSIST?)

    Thanks

    Rob

  2. Re: MOUNT /ASSIST

    Robert Jarratt wrote:

    > I had a MOUNT command with an implicit /ASSIST in my SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM.
    > When I changed the disk around this MOUNT command failed and VMS sent
    > messages to the console asking that this be fixed. However I was unable to
    > log in to the machine to fix the issue, presumably because the login limit
    > had not been opened up. What surprised me though was that I could not log in
    > to the console either, and there was no way to do a clean shutdown.
    > Fortunately I was able to put the old disk back and then change the MOUNT to
    > specify /NOASSIST, so that the startup could complete.
    >
    > Now this is a hobbyist system so the consequences are irrelevant, but I am
    > curious as to how you would get out of this situation in a production
    > environment without doing what I was obliged to do. Did I miss something
    > (other than not specifying /NOASSIST?)

    I'm curious why the console login didn't work. When I worked in a
    production environment, console access was key, and would have been the
    "normal" method of fixing this (unusual) problem. As a hobbyist, I
    still have reliable console access to my VMS box, and it is still key to
    my ability to manage my system.

    All that being said, there is a DCL procedure:

    that allows one to submit a job that will reboot a system without need
    for console access (I found it necessary to have this tool when I was
    working at a shop where we were expected to manage remote systems
    without guaranteed access to the console.).

    > Thanks
    >
    > Rob

  3. Re: MOUNT /ASSIST

    Brad Hamilton wrote:

    > Robert Jarratt wrote:
    > >
    > > I had a MOUNT command with an implicit /ASSIST in my SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM.
    > > When I changed the disk around this MOUNT command failed and VMS sent
    > > messages to the console asking that this be fixed. However I was unable to
    > > log in to the machine to fix the issue, presumably because the login limit
    > > had not been opened up. What surprised me though was that I could not log in
    > > to the console either, and there was no way to do a clean shutdown.
    > > Fortunately I was able to put the old disk back and then change the MOUNT to
    > > specify /NOASSIST, so that the startup could complete.
    > >
    > > Now this is a hobbyist system so the consequences are irrelevant, but I am
    > > curious as to how you would get out of this situation in a production
    > > environment without doing what I was obliged to do. Did I miss something
    > > (other than not specifying /NOASSIST?)

    > I'm curious why the console login didn't work.

    Two reasons:

    1. OPA0: was owned by the STARTUP process, target of SYS$OUTPUT and SYS$ERROR,
    by default. If you're curious, put SHOW LOGICAL SYS$COMMAND somewhere in the
    SYSTARTUP_VMS proc. and see what gets displayed.

    2. See slide #93 of
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/po...5_dachtera.ppt

    Quote:
    "Largely undocumented, little known fact: until the SET LOGINS/INTERACTIVE=n
    command is issued for the first time after a reboot, the job controller will not
    create interactive processes."

    That said, PSC's Multinet bypasses this: TELNET sessions are $CREPRC'd by the
    Master Server (MULTINET_SERVER) process, not the JBC.

    I don't have access to a TCPware system to research that. Use
    F$GETJPI( 0, "CREATOR" ) to find the PID of the process which created the
    current process.

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  4. Re: MOUNT /ASSIST

    Robert Jarratt wrote:

    > I had a MOUNT command with an implicit /ASSIST in my SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM.

    As you've discovered, not recommended. Use SET NOON and MOUNT/NOASSIST and let
    it fail - clean it up once you have access to OPA0:

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems
    http://www.djesys.com/

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  5. Re: MOUNT /ASSIST

    In article <46F5D819.A0F61EA7@spam.comcast.net>,
    David J Dachtera wrote:

    > I don't have access to a TCPware system to research that. Use
    > F$GETJPI( 0, "CREATOR" ) to find the PID of the process which created the
    > current process.

    Thanks, that's a new one on me. CREATOR isn't in the help for F$GETJPI,
    at least on Alpha V8.3.

    Any idea how long it's been valid?

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks:

  6. Re: MOUNT /ASSIST

    "P. Sture" wrote:

    > In article <46F5D819.A0F61EA7@spam.comcast.net>,
    > David J Dachtera wrote:
    >
    > > I don't have access to a TCPware system to research that. Use
    > > F$GETJPI( 0, "CREATOR" ) to find the PID of the process which created the
    > > current process.

    > Thanks, that's a new one on me. CREATOR isn't in the help for F$GETJPI,
    > at least on Alpha V8.3.
    >
    > Any idea how long it's been valid?

    Dunno. First learned about it here (I think - age-related brain rot seems to be
    setting in).

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems
    http://www.djesys.com/

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  7. Re: MOUNT /ASSIST

    Robert Jarratt wrote:
    > I had a MOUNT command with an implicit /ASSIST in my SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM.
    > When I changed the disk around this MOUNT command failed and VMS sent
    > messages to the console asking that this be fixed. However I was unable to
    > log in to the machine to fix the issue, presumably because the login limit
    > had not been opened up. What surprised me though was that I could not log in
    > to the console either, and there was no way to do a clean shutdown.
    > Fortunately I was able to put the old disk back and then change the MOUNT to
    > specify /NOASSIST, so that the startup could complete.
    >
    > Now this is a hobbyist system so the consequences are irrelevant, but I am
    > curious as to how you would get out of this situation in a production
    > environment without doing what I was obliged to do. Did I miss something
    > (other than not specifying /NOASSIST?)
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Rob

    Not sure why everyone makes this so difficult.

    In a production environment you would do a conversational boot then at
    sysboot> set startup_p1 "min"
    sysboot> cont

    Then log in at the console and modify systartup_vms.com

    then run sysgen reset startup_p1 "" and reboot

  8. Re: MOUNT /ASSIST

    On Nov 8, 12:26 am, Jim Mehlhop wrote:
    > Robert Jarratt wrote:
    > > I had a MOUNT command with an implicit /ASSIST in my SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM.
    > > When I changed the disk around this MOUNT command failed and VMS sent
    > > messages to the console asking that this be fixed. However I was unable to
    > > log in to the machine to fix the issue, presumably because the login limit
    > > had not been opened up. What surprised me though was that I could not log in
    > > to the console either, and there was no way to do a clean shutdown.
    > > Fortunately I was able to put the old disk back and then change the MOUNT to
    > > specify /NOASSIST, so that the startup could complete.

    > > Now this is a hobbyist system so the consequences are irrelevant, but I am
    > > curious as to how you would get out of this situation in a production
    > > environment without doing what I was obliged to do. Did I miss something
    > > (other than not specifying /NOASSIST?)

    > > Thanks

    > > Rob

    > Not sure why everyone makes this so difficult.
    >
    > In a production environment you would do a conversational boot then at
    > sysboot> set startup_p1 "min"
    > sysboot> cont
    >
    > Then log in at the console and modify systartup_vms.com
    >
    > then run sysgen reset startup_p1 "" and reboot

    Why are *you* making it more difficult! "cont"? C'mon. A simple C will
    do! :-)

    No problem.

    AEF

+ Reply to Thread