VMS 5.5 / DECNet on Windows XP - VMS

This is a discussion on VMS 5.5 / DECNet on Windows XP - VMS ; Hi, I have a couple of VAXen running VMS5.5 that currently send data to an old PowerMac (which has a DECNet stack - I can't remember the package - and is thus a DECNet node) by using a direct write ...

  1. VMS 5.5 / DECNet on Windows XP

    Hi,

    I have a couple of VAXen running VMS5.5 that currently send data to an
    old PowerMac (which has a DECNet stack - I can't remember the package
    - and is thus a DECNet node) by using a direct write to a path on it.

    I want to replace the PowerMac with a PC running XP and it seems from
    my internet delving that I need Pathworks 32 V7.4 to provide the basic
    DECNet connectivity. AFAICS I don't need any of the Advanced Server
    stuff (and indeed it almost certainly wouldn't run on VMS 5.5).

    What I need to know is where on earth I can obtain the Pathworks 32
    Client CD from. The HP pre-sales technical support sounded a bit
    surprised and confused. The HP website merrily gives me part numbers
    for Advanced Server/Pathworks CD Kit (QA-A93AA-H8) but I can't find
    anyone who actually sells it.

    Any advice from the accumulated wisdom of comp.os.vms would be much
    appreciated.

    Regards
    Andrew

  2. Re: VMS 5.5 / DECNet on Windows XP

    On Sep 19, 11:30 am, Andrew Jackson <7thpresid...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a couple of VAXen running VMS5.5 that currently send data to an
    > old PowerMac (which has a DECNet stack - I can't remember the package
    > - and is thus a DECNet node) by using a direct write to a path on it.
    >
    > I want to replace the PowerMac with a PC running XP and it seems from
    > my internet delving that I need Pathworks 32 V7.4 to provide the basic
    > DECNet connectivity. AFAICS I don't need any of the Advanced Server
    > stuff (and indeed it almost certainly wouldn't run on VMS 5.5).
    >
    > What I need to know is where on earth I can obtain the Pathworks 32
    > Client CD from. The HP pre-sales technical support sounded a bit
    > surprised and confused. The HP website merrily gives me part numbers
    > for Advanced Server/Pathworks CD Kit (QA-A93AA-H8) but I can't find
    > anyone who actually sells it.
    >
    > Any advice from the accumulated wisdom of comp.os.vms would be much
    > appreciated.

    That part# is for the Server portion, which you don't need for just
    client DECnet or LAT.

    Here's the last link I had to the SPD:

    The last time I looked, you need to order:

    QA-5LKAA-H8 - media & doc CD
    QA-5LKAA-AB - single user client license (-AC is 10 user, -AD is 25,
    etc.)

    The secret word when talking to HP phone sales is: COMPAQ

    If the person you talk to doesn't understand that word, ask to speak
    to someone who does, and keep asking until you get to the right
    person. This might take a while, but *don't* accept another number to
    call (but do write it down) -- have them transfer you and be sure to
    get the name and direct contact information of everyone you talk to.
    If they tell you they can't transfer you, ask to speak to their
    supervisor. Expect to have your call dropped at least once, and expect
    that you'll be transferred to the wrong person, too, which is why you
    want to ask each person "how do I get directly back to you if the call
    gets dropped." And remember to use the secret word each time you talk
    to someone.

    I went through a similar exercise a little over a year ago and after
    complaining to HP (and posting a rant here) was told they were aware
    of the COMPAQ part# problem and were working to fix it. Doesn't appear
    that they have.

    Frustrating, isn't it.

  3. Re: VMS 5.5 / DECNet on Windows XP

    Hi Andrew,

    "Andrew Jackson" <7thpresident@gmail.com> wrote in message
    news:1190219428.444815.254420@y42g2000hsy.googlegr oups.com...
    [snip]
    > What I need to know is where on earth I can obtain the Pathworks 32
    > Client CD from. The HP pre-sales technical support sounded a bit
    > surprised and confused. The HP website merrily gives me part numbers
    > for Advanced Server/Pathworks CD Kit (QA-A93AA-H8) but I can't find
    > anyone who actually sells it.

    See if the info at http://h71000.www7.hp.com/pathworks32/index.html helps.

    The "Ordering" page says:
    The PATHWORKS 32 product is included in the CD-ROM media kit (QA-5LKAA-H8)
    and on a separate CD-ROM in the OpenVMS Alpha Software Product Library
    distribution.

    So if you have the SPL distribution, you should have the (separate) CD with
    PATHWORKS 32 on it.

    But what you really need to purchase is the license:.

    QM-5LKAA-Ax PATHWORKS 32 System license

    HTH,

    Paul

  4. Re: VMS 5.5 / DECNet on Windows XP

    In article <1190219428.444815.254420@y42g2000hsy.googlegroups. com>, Andrew Jackson <7thpresident@gmail.com> writes:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have a couple of VAXen running VMS5.5 that currently send data to an
    >old PowerMac (which has a DECNet stack - I can't remember the package
    >- and is thus a DECNet node) by using a direct write to a path on it.
    >
    >I want to replace the PowerMac with a PC running XP and it seems from

    That's called a 'system downgrade'.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  5. Re: VMS 5.5 / DECNet on Windows XP

    In article <1190219428.444815.254420@y42g2000hsy.googlegroups. com>, Andrew Jackson <7thpresident@gmail.com> writes:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a couple of VAXen running VMS5.5 that currently send data to an
    > old PowerMac (which has a DECNet stack - I can't remember the package
    > - and is thus a DECNet node) by using a direct write to a path on it.
    >
    > I want to replace the PowerMac with a PC running XP and it seems from
    > my internet delving that I need Pathworks 32 V7.4 to provide the basic
    > DECNet connectivity. AFAICS I don't need any of the Advanced Server
    > stuff (and indeed it almost certainly wouldn't run on VMS 5.5).

    If HP is having trouble fulfilling this request, look into KiNet,
    which sold DECnet for a wide variety of platforms (CDC did the same).

  6. Re: VMS 5.5 / DECNet on Windows XP

    In article , VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:
    > In article <1190219428.444815.254420@y42g2000hsy.googlegroups. com>, Andrew Jackson <7thpresident@gmail.com> writes:
    >>

    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I have a couple of VAXen running VMS5.5 that currently send data to an
    >>old PowerMac (which has a DECNet stack - I can't remember the package
    >>- and is thus a DECNet node) by using a direct write to a path on it.
    >>
    >>I want to replace the PowerMac with a PC running XP and it seems from

    > That's called a 'system downgrade'.

    A new Mac might be able to handle a port of the DECnet stack for
    Linux.

    Or the OP could by "PC" hardware with Linux and use the DECnet stack
    for Linux.

+ Reply to Thread