problem in TCPIP configuration - VMS

This is a discussion on problem in TCPIP configuration - VMS ; Hi! Since my LINKSYS router seems to have stopped working, I had to set up another box for my DSL connection and as a result reconfigure TCPIP on the VMS side. I have done this servecerveral times over the years, ...

  1. problem in TCPIP configuration

    Hi!

    Since my LINKSYS router seems to have stopped working, I had to
    set up another box for my DSL connection and as a result reconfigure
    TCPIP on the VMS side. I have done this servecerveral times over the years,
    when changing routers etc. There never was a problem like this.

    Now, it seems that evertything works except TCPIP SHOW HOST and other
    stuff which works the same internally, i.e. iI can't resolve internet
    addresses, which is a big problem. I've configured one name server
    which I'm sure works.

    Interestingly, NSLOOKUP works propelryrly using htthis same name sererver, but
    TCPIP SHOW HOST Ddoes not.

    Everything else wseems to work. I can ping all addresses I excppect to vebe
    able to reach, I can get out via telnet, I can get backin  using a numeric address as the
    remote system, accan telnet back in etc. However, with no DNS reolsiolution
    I hobviously have big problems.

    Any ideas_

    Any ideas?

    Do to my lack of connectivity, please reply by email and I will post
    the winning solution.

  2. Re: problem in TCPIP configuration

    In article , helbig@acavms.mc.man.ac.uk writes:

    Just after I posted the article I'm replying to, TCPIP SHOW HOST started
    working, even though I didn't change anything, at least if I set the
    name server /PROCESS. (With it just set SYSTEM it doesn't work, even if
    a) it is the only one listed and b) TCPIP is completely restarted.)
    What could cause this delay?

    Otherwise, everything works as expected, i.e. I just set a new default
    route.

    Why I even have to change the nameservers at all I don't know. Since at
    the moment I'm not using a router which relays DNS requests (although I
    do have one, which I'm not using for other reasons), as was also the
    case with the LINKSYS router, I just queried the router to see which
    nameservers it had picked up via DHCP and used them to configure the
    nameservers under VMS. There's a long list which I haven't changed for
    months or years. The new router picked up two new name servers, but
    neither those nor any of the old ones worked from VMS, but another one
    did. (Maybe the others would if I did SET NAME/PROCESS, but I don't see
    why that should be necessary at all.)

  3. Re: problem in TCPIP configuration

    > Just after I posted the article I'm replying to, TCPIP SHOW HOST started
    > working, even though I didn't change anything, at least if I set the
    > name server /PROCESS. (With it just set SYSTEM it doesn't work, even if
    > a) it is the only one listed and b) TCPIP is completely restarted.)
    > What could cause this delay?

    You need to provide more details:

    Does your VMS host have its onw DNS server, or is it just a client ?

    If it runs its own server, then the changes needs to be in the
    TCPIP$BIND.CONF file (forwarding stuff). Changing this file then
    requires you TCPIP> SET NAME/INITIALIZE to get the bind server to reload
    its config.

    If you are using DHCP and hope that your NAT router will be able to
    update the VMS client config, then good luck (remember that the VMS
    system won't up-date the DHCP config until the lease needs to be
    renewed, so you would need to force a DHCP renewall for there to be any
    hope of VMS updating its config (and then hope the VMS side of DHCP
    actually works).

    If you have a fixed config (SET NAME /SERVER= ) remember that you may
    need to restart some/all applications that use TCPIP so that they get
    the new definitions.

  4. Re: problem in TCPIP configuration

    In article <93269$46ed6cb9$cef8887a$19605@TEKSAVVY.COM>, JF Mezei
    writes:

    > Does your VMS host have its onw DNS server, or is it just a client ?

    Just a client.

    > If you are using DHCP

    No, no DHCP on the VMS side.

    > If you have a fixed config (SET NAME /SERVER= ) remember that you may
    > need to restart some/all applications that use TCPIP so that they get
    > the new definitions.

    Indeed, but I would have thought that restarting all of TCPIP would do
    the trick.

    Things seem to work now. Depending on the node, there is a delay after
    which they just start working.

    Is the list of name servers checked in a particular order until one
    responds? If so, what is that order?

+ Reply to Thread