despair - VMS

This is a discussion on despair - VMS ; In article , VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote: > In article , "P. Sture" > writes: > > > > > >In article , VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG > >wrote: > > > >> In article , "Richard B. Gilbert" > >> writes: > ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11
Results 201 to 219 of 219

  1. Re: despair

    wrote:

    > In article , "P. Sture"
    > writes:
    > >

    > >In article , VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG
    > >wrote:
    > >
    > >> In article <46F93277.9040809@comcast.net>, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    > >> writes:
    > >> {...snip...}
    > >>
    > >> It depend upon whether or not you side with the Judean People's Front
    > >> or the People's Front of Judea!

    > >Did you ever read "Homage to Catalonia" by George Orwell? I'm sure that
    > >Monty P took the party infighting and excessive use of initials for
    > >party names from that book.

    > No, never found the time. Animal Farm, 1984 and, my fave, The Lion and
    > the Unicorn.

    Homage to Catalonia was a set book for my English Literature exam at the
    age of 16, so I had to read it:-)

    It's Orwell's story of his time spent fighting as a volunteer in the
    Spanish Civil War.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Civil_War

    and then pick "15 Political parties and organizations" for a surprisingly
    large list (and yes, there's a Popular Front in there)

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks:

  2. Re: despair

    On 09/26/07 11:10, P. Sture wrote:
    [snip]

    > and then pick "15 Political parties and organizations" for a surprisingly
    > large list (and yes, there's a Popular Front in there)

    Is there ever an Unpopular Front?

    --
    Ron Johnson, Jr.
    Jefferson LA USA

  3. Re: despair

    In article <2axKi.2465$sS6.1130@newsfe14.lga>, Ron Johnson writes:

    >On 09/26/07 11:10, P. Sture wrote:
    >[snip]
    >>
    >> and then pick "15 Political parties and organizations" for a surprisingly
    >> large list (and yes, there's a Popular Front in there)

    >Is there ever an Unpopular Front?

    Yes. We have 2 in the US... the DumboRats and the RepugnantCans.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  4. Re: despair

    VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    >>Is there ever an Unpopular Front?

    > Yes. We have 2 in the US... the DumboRats and the RepugnantCans.

    VAXman for President !

    VAXman for President !

    No matter what his policies would be, he would provide de-facto
    advertising for VAX and VMS from his name, something which HP could not
    prevent from happening no matter how hard they tried to prevent VMS from
    being advertised.

    And Mr VAXman would have no problem passing laws to restrict the use of
    Windows which is to be considered a hazard to the USA economy and
    greatly reduces employee productivity.

    Would Sue Skonetski be named Vice President ?

    Perfect Bio: a "Pensy farm boy" who fully understand technology, the
    internet and computers. And if Mrs VAXman likes every inch of his
    member, the USA population is bound to like him too :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

    VAXman for President !

    VAXman for President !

  5. Re: despair

    On Mon, 24 Sep 2007, Bob Koehler wrote:

    > Most of my friends were carrying around
    >
    > "Waterloo FORTRAN with WATFOR and WATFIV"
    >
    > I looked, but can't find the authors.

    How about FORTRAN IV WITH WATFOR AND WATFIV by Cress / Dirksen /
    Graham. I found it by searching Amazon.com. I also have it in my
    basement someplace, but the www was easier.

    --

    Rob Brown b r o w n a t g m c l d o t c o m
    G. Michaels Consulting Ltd. (780)438-9343 (voice)

  6. Re: despair

    In article <88a18$46fae08f$cef8887a$9775@TEKSAVVY.COM>, JF Mezei writes:

    >VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    >>>Is there ever an Unpopular Front?

    >> Yes. We have 2 in the US... the DumboRats and the RepugnantCans.

    >VAXman for President !
    >
    >VAXman for President !
    >
    >No matter what his policies would be, he would provide de-facto
    >advertising for VAX and VMS from his name, something which HP could not
    >prevent from happening no matter how hard they tried to prevent VMS from
    >being advertised.
    >
    >And Mr VAXman would have no problem passing laws to restrict the use of
    >Windows which is to be considered a hazard to the USA economy and
    >greatly reduces employee productivity.
    >
    >Would Sue Skonetski be named Vice President ?

    and the campaign slogan:

    Weendoze in every trash bin and a VMScluster in every garage!

    >Perfect Bio: a "Pensy farm boy" who fully understand technology, the
    >internet and computers. And if Mrs VAXman likes every inch of his
    >member, the USA population is bound to like him too :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

    Pennsylvania was birthplace of only one US president, James Buchanan.
    Maybe it's time for another?

    >VAXman for President !
    >
    >VAXman for President !

    Thanks for your vote JF but being president would be hypocritical to my
    libertarian anarchist ideology! Besides, I wouldn't want to be im-
    mortalized by being president of the US; I'd rather be immortalized by
    not dying.

    I really would not want to be president but I would not mind seeing the
    government of the USA back in the hands of those to whom it belongs as
    per the preamble of the US Constitution: We the people...

    ....oh yeah, and the 21st amendment repealed.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  7. Re: despair

    wrote:

    > and the campaign slogan:
    >
    > Weendoze in every trash bin and a VMScluster in every garage!

    %CNXMGR-F-GRGTOOFAR, garage too far away

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks:

  8. Re: despair

    On Sep 25, 8:12 am, b...@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) wrote:
    > In article ,
    > VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:
    >
    > > In article <5lo8a3F96a8...@mid.individual.net>, b...@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:
    > > {...snip...}
    > >>The Amish would disagree with your notion regarding powertools just
    > >>as I disagree with your notion regarding the computer languages!!
    > >>Both of them are merely your opinion.

    > > Many of the younger generation Amish are moving away from those
    > > traditions and accepting some of the ways of the outside.

    > Many people accept MS as the epitome of computing today. What's your
    > point?

    Sad but true.

    The Washington Legal Foundation had an ad on the op-ed page of the
    2007-03-26 NY Times opening with this: "These days, our legal and
    regulatory system seems to only create jobs for lawyers, accountants,
    and bureaucrats, while scaring away the next Bill Gates or Warren
    Buffet."

    Thomas Friedman wrote something similar -- I think in regard to
    education in the US vs. the rest of the world, but I'm not sure and I
    can't find that column right now -- about Bill Gates.

    Nicholas Kristoff wondered in a NY Times op-ed column on 2002-01-15:
    "We're [the USA is] accused of inflicting Big Macs, Microsoft Windows
    and Julia Roberts on the helpless masses. (These are crimes?)"

    I recall a letter to the editor (yes, same rag) saying we should
    employ the "genius of Bill Gates" to write software to help blind
    people or something like that.

    AUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHH!

    > Anyone who knows the Amish and is familiar with the quality of their
    > products would know that the young aren't leaving cause they can do
    > a better job with modern tools. They are leaving because the outside
    > world has forced its way into the Amish lifestyle and the young people
    > have had their first taste of hedonism. It's a lot like the garden of
    > eden or Pandora'a Box. What they don't have looks desirable but they
    > don't realize that they are making a one way trip.
    >
    > As for the quality of their products, go visit an Amish farm sometime.
    > Look at the quality of the house, the barn, the outbuildings. The food.
    > The clothing. Anything they make. And then tell me you can buy better
    > quality (not style, quality) in Walwart. And, guess what, it's all
    > made in America, too. :-)

    I'm not sure it was said that you can't write quality code with "bad
    languages", only that it was harder and required more care and may
    take more time. Assuming that's true, you can blame the programmers
    all you want, but if you have a pool of programmers and give them a
    variety of programs to write, and give them a variety of languages to
    use -- shake well -- I'd bet that a higher percentage of programs
    written in "bad languages" will have more faults or be of poorer
    quality than those written with "good languages". Again, assuming the
    premise is true, which I don't think you disputed.

    So tell me about the quality of Amish lasers and such. And how about
    their satellites? ;-) (Just jesting about the limitations of tools,
    not meant to be mean-spirited.)

    > bill
    >
    > --
    > Bill Gunshannon | de-moc-ra-cy (di mok' ra see) n. Three wolves
    > b...@cs.scranton.edu | and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    > University of Scranton |
    > Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

    One of the very few sigs worthy of repeated postings.

    AEF

  9. Re: despair

    In article <1191400628.162648.219150@50g2000hsm.googlegroups.c om>, AEF writes:
    >{...snip...}
    >The Washington Legal Foundation had an ad on the op-ed page of the
    >2007-03-26 NY Times opening with this: "These days, our legal and
    >regulatory system seems to only create jobs for lawyers, accountants,
    >and bureaucrats, while scaring away the next Bill Gates or Warren
    >Buffet."

    There they are again, those damn law(lie)yers ****ing it all up for the
    rest of us.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  10. Re: despair

    In article <2TKMi.4865$C02.1770@newsfe12.lga>,
    VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:

    > In article <1191400628.162648.219150@50g2000hsm.googlegroups.c om>, AEF
    > writes:
    > >{...snip...}
    > >The Washington Legal Foundation had an ad on the op-ed page of the
    > >2007-03-26 NY Times opening with this: "These days, our legal and
    > >regulatory system seems to only create jobs for lawyers, accountants,
    > >and bureaucrats, while scaring away the next Bill Gates or Warren
    > >Buffet."

    > There they are again, those damn law(lie)yers ****ing it all up for the
    > rest of us.

    A quote I ran across the other day seems to fit the above:

    "My mama used to say that America's the big melting pot. You bring it to
    a boil and all the scum rises to the top."

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks:

  11. Re: despair

    In article , "P. Sture" writes:

    >In article <2TKMi.4865$C02.1770@newsfe12.lga>,
    > VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    >
    >> In article <1191400628.162648.219150@50g2000hsm.googlegroups.c om>, AEF
    >> writes:
    >> >{...snip...}
    >> >The Washington Legal Foundation had an ad on the op-ed page of the
    >> >2007-03-26 NY Times opening with this: "These days, our legal and
    >> >regulatory system seems to only create jobs for lawyers, accountants,
    >> >and bureaucrats, while scaring away the next Bill Gates or Warren
    >> >Buffet."

    >> There they are again, those damn law(lie)yers ****ing it all up for the
    >> rest of us.

    >A quote I ran across the other day seems to fit the above:
    >
    >"My mama used to say that America's the big melting pot. You bring it to
    >a boil and all the scum rises to the top."

    'mama' is a sage observant woman! Especially if the rising scum is the
    perfidious scourge known as law(lie)yers.

    Q: What is the difference between a law(ie)yer and a pile of ****?

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  12. Re: despair

    VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    >> 'mama' is a sage observant woman! Especially if the rising scum is the

    > perfidious scourge known as law(lie)yers.

    Why do they bury dead lawyers 4 metres (12 feet) underground ?

    Because deep down, they are good people :-)

  13. Re: despair

    In article , JF Mezei writes:

    >VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    >>> 'mama' is a sage observant woman! Especially if the rising scum is the

    >> perfidious scourge known as law(lie)yers.

    >Why do they bury dead lawyers 4 metres (12 feet) underground ?

    Because deep down they're good.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  14. Re: despair

    In article ,
    VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:

    > Q: What is the difference between a law(ie)yer and a pile of ****?

    ??? Dunno. That one has me stumped.

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks:

  15. Re: despair

    In article ,
    "P. Sture" writes:
    > In article ,
    > VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    >
    >> Q: What is the difference between a law(ie)yer and a pile of ****?

    > ??? Dunno. That one has me stumped.

    Nothing.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  16. Re: despair

    In article , "P. Sture" writes:

    >In article ,
    > VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    >
    >> Q: What is the difference between a law(ie)yer and a pile of ****?

    >??? Dunno. That one has me stumped.

    Me too.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  17. Re: despair

    In article , VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:

    > Q: What is the difference between a law(ie)yer and a pile of ****?

    I'd spread the latter on a corn field.

  18. Re: despair

    On 10/04/07 07:43, Bob Koehler wrote:
    > In article , VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:
    >> Q: What is the difference between a law(ie)yer and a pile of ****?
    >>

    > I'd spread the latter on a corn field.

    Remember that California organic(?) lettuce farm that was implicated
    last year in a bunch of deaths and sicknesses?

    --
    Ron Johnson, Jr.
    Jefferson LA USA

  19. Re: despair

    In article , Ron Johnson writes:

    > Remember that California organic(?) lettuce farm that was implicated
    > last year in a bunch of deaths and sicknesses?

    Those fools spread on an edible plant that was already growing. You
    try that with corn and you'll mow down all the stalks.