Copy/record to DVD's - VMS

This is a discussion on Copy/record to DVD's - VMS ; I'm setting up a comfile that burns historical data to DVD on a customer's sparkling new Integrity system. I don't know how much data they'll end up putting on each disk, but I'm pretty sure it will never be more ...

  1. Copy/record to DVD's

    I'm setting up a comfile that burns historical data to DVD on a customer's
    sparkling new Integrity system. I don't know how much data they'll end up
    putting on each disk, but I'm pretty sure it will never be more than the 4.7Gb
    stated on the DVD's I was testing with. I wrote the comfile to size the
    container disk at the (current) max DVD size. When I tested it, I think it ran
    out of room. Here is the error I got:

    %CDDVD-I-SKEY, Unit sense key 05
    -CDDVD-I-SKEYILLREQ, illegal request sense key
    %CDDVD-I-SKEYASCASCQ, SKey: 05, ASC: 21, ASCQ: 00
    %CDDVD-I-ASC2100, logical block address out of range error detected
    %CDDVD-E-WRTERR, disk write or disk full error; unable to complete write
    -CDDVD-W-BADADD, bad write address
    Synchronizing with output device cache
    Closing the open track
    Operation permitted 480 seconds for completion
    Closing the open session
    Operation permitted 480 seconds for completion
    Unable to complete processing
    %CDDVD-W-BADADD, bad write address

    First question: is this really saying it ran out of room on the disk? It's a
    little obscured by complaints about "sense key".

    Second question, what is the largest container file I can burn to DVD? I
    obviously miscalculated it. Here is my comfile:

    $ SET NOON
    $ SAY :== WRITE SYS$OUTPUT
    $ SAY "Beginning HDMP DVD Burn."
    $!
    $LOADNEWCD:
    $ ON CONTROL_Y THEN GOTO EXIT
    $ SAY ""
    $ SAY "Please load a NEW blank DVD in the drive on ''f$getsyi("nodename")'..."
    $ INQUIRE DUMMY "Press Enter to continue. Control/Y to exit"
    $!
    $REUSE_DVD_CONTAINER:
    $ IF F$GETDVI("$3$LDA1:","EXISTS")
    $ THEN
    $ DISMOUNT $3$LDA1:
    $ LD DISCONNECT $3$LDA1:
    $ ENDIF
    $ SAY "Preparing files to copy."
    $ LD CREATE/SIZE=10049000 $1$DGA5:[HDMP]HDMP_CONTAINER.DSK
    $ LD CONNECT $1$DGA5:[HDMP]HDMP_CONTAINER.DSK LDA1
    $ INITIALIZE $3$LDA1: HDMPDVD
    $ MOUNT $3$LDA1: HDMPDVD
    $!
    $COPY_FILES_TO_HDMP_CONTAINER:
    $ SAY ""
    $ SAY "Copying files from source directory to DVD container..."
    (copying files into container file)...
    $!
    $BURN_FILES_TO_DVD:
    $ SAY ""
    $ SAY "Starting to burn DVD..."
    $ MOUNT/OVER=ID $3$DNA0:
    $ COPY/RECORDABLE/FORMAT/VERIFY $3$LDA1: $3$DNA0:
    $ DISMOUNT $3$LDA1:
    $ LD DISCONNECT LDA1
    $!
    $ EXIT

    - Sharon
    "Gravity... is a harsh mistress!"

  2. Re: Copy/record to DVD's

    I don't want to take the time to dig through them now, but I thought I
    remember a table in one of the recent OpenVMS Release Notes/New Features
    manuals containing a table of container sizes for various types of media.

    On Mon, 10 Sep 2007, Sharon wrote:
    > Second question, what is the largest container file I can burn to DVD? I
    > obviously miscalculated it. Here is my comfile:

  3. Re: Copy/record to DVD's

    Sharon wrote:

    > I'm setting up a comfile that burns historical data to DVD on a customer's
    > sparkling new Integrity system. I don't know how much data they'll end up
    > putting on each disk, but I'm pretty sure it will never be more than the 4.7Gb
    > stated on the DVD's I was testing with. I wrote the comfile to size the
    > container disk at the (current) max DVD size. When I tested it, I think it ran
    > out of room. Here is the error I got:
    >
    > %CDDVD-I-SKEY, Unit sense key 05
    > -CDDVD-I-SKEYILLREQ, illegal request sense key
    > %CDDVD-I-SKEYASCASCQ, SKey: 05, ASC: 21, ASCQ: 00
    > %CDDVD-I-ASC2100, logical block address out of range error detected
    > %CDDVD-E-WRTERR, disk write or disk full error; unable to complete write
    > -CDDVD-W-BADADD, bad write address
    > Synchronizing with output device cache
    > Closing the open track
    > Operation permitted 480 seconds for completion
    > Closing the open session
    > Operation permitted 480 seconds for completion
    > Unable to complete processing
    > %CDDVD-W-BADADD, bad write address
    >
    > First question: is this really saying it ran out of room on the disk? It's a
    > little obscured by complaints about "sense key".
    >
    > Second question, what is the largest container file I can burn to DVD? I
    > obviously miscalculated it. Here is my comfile:
    >
    > $ SET NOON
    > $ SAY :== WRITE SYS$OUTPUT
    > $ SAY "Beginning HDMP DVD Burn."
    > $!
    > $LOADNEWCD:
    > $ ON CONTROL_Y THEN GOTO EXIT
    > $ SAY ""
    > $ SAY "Please load a NEW blank DVD in the drive on ''f$getsyi("nodename")'..."
    > $ INQUIRE DUMMY "Press Enter to continue. Control/Y to exit"
    > $!
    > $REUSE_DVD_CONTAINER:
    > $ IF F$GETDVI("$3$LDA1:","EXISTS")
    > $ THEN
    > $ DISMOUNT $3$LDA1:
    > $ LD DISCONNECT $3$LDA1:
    > $ ENDIF
    > $ SAY "Preparing files to copy."
    > $ LD CREATE/SIZE=10049000 $1$DGA5:[HDMP]HDMP_CONTAINER.DSK
    > $ LD CONNECT $1$DGA5:[HDMP]HDMP_CONTAINER.DSK LDA1
    > $ INITIALIZE $3$LDA1: HDMPDVD
    > $ MOUNT $3$LDA1: HDMPDVD
    > $!
    > $COPY_FILES_TO_HDMP_CONTAINER:
    > $ SAY ""
    > $ SAY "Copying files from source directory to DVD container..."
    > (copying files into container file)...
    > $!
    > $BURN_FILES_TO_DVD:
    > $ SAY ""
    > $ SAY "Starting to burn DVD..."
    > $ MOUNT/OVER=ID $3$DNA0:
    > $ COPY/RECORDABLE/FORMAT/VERIFY $3$LDA1: $3$DNA0:
    > $ DISMOUNT $3$LDA1:
    > $ LD DISCONNECT LDA1
    > $!
    > $ EXIT

    Well, I make 10049000 blocks as 4.79GBF. Nero only lets me try to burn 4.5GBF on
    a DVD+R. Try 9437184 blocks, minus about 10 percent, rounded up to the nearest
    multiple of the target volume's clustersize.

    FWIW...

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  4. Re: Copy/record to DVD's

    On Sep 10, 4:05 pm, f...@encompasserve.org (Sharon) wrote:
    > I'm setting up a comfile that burns historical data to DVD on a customer's
    > sparkling new Integrity system. I don't know how much data they'll end up
    > putting on each disk, but I'm pretty sure it will never be more than the 4.7Gb
    > stated on the DVD's I was testing with. I wrote the comfile to size the
    > container disk at the (current) max DVD size. When I tested it, I think it ran
    > out of room. Here is the error I got:
    >
    > %CDDVD-I-SKEY, Unit sense key 05
    > -CDDVD-I-SKEYILLREQ, illegal request sense key
    > %CDDVD-I-SKEYASCASCQ, SKey: 05, ASC: 21, ASCQ: 00
    > %CDDVD-I-ASC2100, logical block address out of range error detected
    > %CDDVD-E-WRTERR, disk write or disk full error; unable to complete write
    > -CDDVD-W-BADADD, bad write address
    > Synchronizing with output device cache
    > Closing the open track
    > Operation permitted 480 seconds for completion
    > Closing the open session
    > Operation permitted 480 seconds for completion
    > Unable to complete processing
    > %CDDVD-W-BADADD, bad write address
    >
    > First question: is this really saying it ran out of room on the disk? It's a
    > little obscured by complaints about "sense key".
    >
    > Second question, what is the largest container file I can burn to DVD? I
    > obviously miscalculated it. Here is my comfile:
    >
    > $ SET NOON
    > $ SAY :== WRITE SYS$OUTPUT
    > $ SAY "Beginning HDMP DVD Burn."
    > $!
    > $LOADNEWCD:
    > $ ON CONTROL_Y THEN GOTO EXIT
    > $ SAY ""
    > $ SAY "Please load a NEW blank DVD in the drive on ''f$getsyi("nodename")'..."
    > $ INQUIRE DUMMY "Press Enter to continue. Control/Y to exit"
    > $!
    > $REUSE_DVD_CONTAINER:
    > $ IF F$GETDVI("$3$LDA1:","EXISTS")
    > $ THEN
    > $ DISMOUNT $3$LDA1:
    > $ LD DISCONNECT $3$LDA1:
    > $ ENDIF
    > $ SAY "Preparing files to copy."
    > $ LD CREATE/SIZE=10049000 $1$DGA5:[HDMP]HDMP_CONTAINER.DSK
    > $ LD CONNECT $1$DGA5:[HDMP]HDMP_CONTAINER.DSK LDA1
    > $ INITIALIZE $3$LDA1: HDMPDVD
    > $ MOUNT $3$LDA1: HDMPDVD
    > $!
    > $COPY_FILES_TO_HDMP_CONTAINER:
    > $ SAY ""
    > $ SAY "Copying files from source directory to DVD container..."
    > (copying files into container file)...
    > $!
    > $BURN_FILES_TO_DVD:
    > $ SAY ""
    > $ SAY "Starting to burn DVD..."
    > $ MOUNT/OVER=ID $3$DNA0:
    > $ COPY/RECORDABLE/FORMAT/VERIFY $3$LDA1: $3$DNA0:
    > $ DISMOUNT $3$LDA1:
    > $ LD DISCONNECT LDA1
    > $!
    > $ EXIT
    >
    > - Sharon
    > "Gravity... is a harsh mistress!"

    A recent update to a note on Hoff's site ( http://64.223.189.234/node/28
    ) indicated that you want to use a size of 9,180,416 blocks for DVD+RW
    and a size of up to 9,180,416 blocks for DVD+R. The DVD+RW is
    apparently fixed due to the RW nature.

    John H. Reinhardt

  5. Re: Copy/record to DVD's

    In article <+UEyOWJK56We@eisner.encompasserve.org>, frey@encompasserve.org
    (Sharon) writes:
    >I'm setting up a comfile that burns historical data to DVD on a customer's
    >>sparkling new Integrity system. I don't know how much data they'll end

    >up
    >putting on each disk, but I'm pretty sure it will never be more than the
    >4.7Gb
    >stated on the DVD's I was testing with. I wrote the comfile to size the
    >container disk at the (current) max DVD size. When I tested it, I think
    >it ran
    >out of room. Here is the error I got:
    >
    >%CDDVD-I-SKEY, Unit sense key 05
    >-CDDVD-I-SKEYILLREQ, illegal request sense key
    >%CDDVD-I-SKEYASCASCQ, SKey: 05, ASC: 21, ASCQ: 00
    >%CDDVD-I-ASC2100, logical block address out of range error detected
    >%CDDVD-E-WRTERR, disk write or disk full error; unable to complete write
    >-CDDVD-W-BADADD, bad write address
    >Synchronizing with output device cache
    >Closing the open track
    >Operation permitted 480 seconds for completion
    >Closing the open session
    >Operation permitted 480 seconds for completion
    >Unable to complete processing
    >%CDDVD-W-BADADD, bad write address
    >
    >First question: is this really saying it ran out of room on the disk?
    >It's a
    >little obscured by complaints about "sense key".
    >
    >Second question, what is the largest container file I can burn to DVD? I
    >>obviously miscalculated it. Here is my comfile:

    >$ SET NOON
    >$ SAY :== WRITE SYS$OUTPUT
    >$ SAY "Beginning HDMP DVD Burn."
    >$!
    >$LOADNEWCD:
    >$ ON CONTROL_Y THEN GOTO EXIT
    >$ SAY ""
    >$ SAY "Please load a NEW blank DVD in the drive on
    >''f$getsyi("nodename")'..."
    >$ INQUIRE DUMMY "Press Enter to continue. Control/Y to exit"
    >$!
    >$REUSE_DVD_CONTAINER:
    >$ IF F$GETDVI("$3$LDA1:","EXISTS")
    >$ THEN
    >$ DISMOUNT $3$LDA1:
    >$ LD DISCONNECT $3$LDA1:
    >$ ENDIF
    >$ SAY "Preparing files to copy."
    >$ LD CREATE/SIZE=10049000 $1$DGA5:[HDMP]HDMP_CONTAINER.DSK
    >$ LD CONNECT $1$DGA5:[HDMP]HDMP_CONTAINER.DSK LDA1
    >$ INITIALIZE $3$LDA1: HDMPDVD
    >$ MOUNT $3$LDA1: HDMPDVD
    >$!
    >$COPY_FILES_TO_HDMP_CONTAINER:
    >$ SAY ""
    >$ SAY "Copying files from source directory to DVD container..."
    >(copying files into container file)...
    >$!
    >$BURN_FILES_TO_DVD:
    >$ SAY ""
    >$ SAY "Starting to burn DVD..."
    >$ MOUNT/OVER=ID $3$DNA0:
    >$ COPY/RECORDABLE/FORMAT/VERIFY $3$LDA1: $3$DNA0:
    >$ DISMOUNT $3$LDA1:
    >$ LD DISCONNECT LDA1
    >$!
    >$ EXIT
    >
    > - Sharon
    >"Gravity... is a harsh mistress!"

    The capacity of a DVD depends on the medium.

    You'll see different numbers of the same type of media.

    I can write a small program that tells you this number.
    I will post the source code if there are enough people
    who are interested.

    regards
    Eberhard

  6. Re: Copy/record to DVD's

    On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 00:39:45 -0700, Eberhard Heuser-Hofmann
    wrote:

    > The capacity of a DVD depends on the medium.
    > You'll see different numbers of the same type of media.
    > I can write a small program that tells you this number.
    > I will post the source code if there are enough people
    > who are interested.

    I would be interested.

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  7. Re: Copy/record to DVD's

> [...]

    > >$!
    > >$COPY_FILES_TO_HDMP_CONTAINER:
    > >$ SAY ""
    > >$ SAY "Copying files from source directory to DVD container..."
    > >(copying files into container file)...
    > >$!
    > >$BURN_FILES_TO_DVD:
    > >$ SAY ""
    > >$ SAY "Starting to burn DVD..."
    > >$ MOUNT/OVER=ID $3$DNA0:
    > >$ COPY/RECORDABLE/FORMAT/VERIFY $3$LDA1: $3$DNA0:
    > >$ DISMOUNT $3$LDA1:
    > >$ LD DISCONNECT LDA1
    > >$!
    > >$ EXIT
    > >
    > > - Sharon
    > >"Gravity... is a harsh mistress!"
    > >

    > The capacity of a DVD depends on the medium.
    >
    > You'll see different numbers of the same type of media.
    >
    > I can write a small program that tells you this number.
    > I will post the source code if there are enough people

    Count me in.

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems
    http://www.djesys.com/

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  8. Re: Copy/record to DVD's

    On 11 Sep, 08:39, vax...@chclu.chemie.uni-konstanz.de (Eberhard Heuser-
    Hofmann) wrote:
> [...]

    > >$!
    > >$COPY_FILES_TO_HDMP_CONTAINER:
    > >$ SAY ""
    > >$ SAY "Copying files from source directory to DVD container..."
    > >(copying files into container file)...
    > >$!
    > >$BURN_FILES_TO_DVD:
    > >$ SAY ""
    > >$ SAY "Starting to burn DVD..."
    > >$ MOUNT/OVER=ID $3$DNA0:
    > >$ COPY/RECORDABLE/FORMAT/VERIFY $3$LDA1: $3$DNA0:
    > >$ DISMOUNT $3$LDA1:
    > >$ LD DISCONNECT LDA1
    > >$!
    > >$ EXIT

    > > - Sharon
    > >"Gravity... is a harsh mistress!"

    > The capacity of a DVD depends on the medium.
    >
    > You'll see different numbers of the same type of media.
    >
    > I can write a small program that tells you this number.
    > I will post the source code if there are enough people

    Interest here too.

+ Reply to Thread