Stuck at a console - VMS

This is a discussion on Stuck at a console - VMS ; Hi Will typing a boot command for an AXP 4100, I accidentally hit a wrong key Now my machine I think is waiting for me to type something extra but I don't know what it is. Any suggestions? I could ...

  1. Stuck at a console

    Hi

    Will typing a boot command for an AXP 4100,
    I accidentally hit a wrong key

    Now my machine I think is waiting for me to type something extra but I
    don't know
    what it is. Any suggestions?

    I could get the ops guys to turn the power off I guess

    P00>>>halt
    CPU 0 is halted
    P00>>>b -fl 3,`1
    _>
    _>
    _>

    kiwi

  2. Re: Stuck at a console

    On Sep 7, 8:17 pm, kiwi-red wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Will typing a boot command for an AXP 4100, I accidentally hit a wrong key
    > Now my machine I think is waiting for me to type something extra but I
    > don't know what it is. Any suggestions?

    Try an other, now closing, quote?

    > I could get the ops guys to turn the power off I guess

    Yeah... hit that big red button.

    > P00>>>halt
    > CPU 0 is halted
    > P00>>>b -fl 3,`1
    > _>

    I've never seen it, but it looks like a continuation.
    The thing being continued has to be the `1 ... waiting for an other `

    fwiw,
    Hein.

  3. Re: Stuck at a console

    Hein RMS van den Heuvel writes:

    >On Sep 7, 8:17 pm, kiwi-red wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Will typing a boot command for an AXP 4100, I accidentally hit a wrong key
    >> Now my machine I think is waiting for me to type something extra but I
    >> don't know what it is. Any suggestions?

    >Try an other, now closing, quote?

    >> P00>>>halt
    >> CPU 0 is halted
    >> P00>>>b -fl 3,`1
    >> _>

    >I've never seen it, but it looks like a continuation.
    >The thing being continued has to be the `1 ... waiting for an other `

    That would make sense. The console is a micro Unix shell of some sort.

  4. Re: Stuck at a console

    kiwi-red wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Will typing a boot command for an AXP 4100,
    > I accidentally hit a wrong key
    >
    > Now my machine I think is waiting for me to type something extra but I
    > don't know
    > what it is. Any suggestions?
    >
    > I could get the ops guys to turn the power off I guess
    >
    > P00>>>halt
    > CPU 0 is halted
    > P00>>>b -fl 3,`1
    > _>
    > _>
    > _>

    4100's do have a RESET button. Should do the trick for you.

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  5. Re: Stuck at a console

    On Sep 9, 1:50 pm, David J Dachtera
    wrote:
    > kiwi-red wrote:
    >
    > > Hi

    > > Will typing a boot command for an AXP 4100,
    > > I accidentally hit a wrong key

    > > Now my machine I think is waiting for me to type something extra but I
    > > don't know
    > > what it is. Any suggestions?

    > > I could get the ops guys to turn the power off I guess

    > > P00>>>halt
    > > CPU 0 is halted
    > > P00>>>b -fl 3,`1
    > > _>
    > > _>
    > > _>

    > 4100's do have a RESET button. Should do the trick for you.
    >
    > --
    > David J Dachtera
    > dba DJE Systemshttp://www.djesys.com/
    >
    > Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Pagehttp://www.djesys.com/vms/market/
    >
    > Unofficial Affordable OpenVMS Home Page:http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/
    >
    > Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/
    >
    > Unofficial OpenVMS Hobbyist Support Page:http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

    A CTRL-C might work to get you back to the normal prompt.

  6. Re: Stuck at a console

    Rich Jordan wrote:

    > On Sep 9, 1:50 pm, David J Dachtera
    > wrote:
    > > kiwi-red wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi

    > > > Will typing a boot command for an AXP 4100,
    > > > I accidentally hit a wrong key

    > > > Now my machine I think is waiting for me to type something extra but I
    > > > don't know
    > > > what it is. Any suggestions?

    > > > I could get the ops guys to turn the power off I guess

    > > > P00>>>halt
    > > > CPU 0 is halted
    > > > P00>>>b -fl 3,`1
    > > > _>
    > > > _>
    > > > _>

    > > 4100's do have a RESET button. Should do the trick for you.

    > A CTRL-C might work to get you back to the normal prompt.

    CTRL+P might do it, also. Dunno - don't have a 4100 to play with.

    ....and it's not called a "RESET" button, it's called a HALT button on a 4100. My
    bad.

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems
    http://www.djesys.com/

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  7. Re: Stuck at a console

    David J Dachtera wrote:
    > Rich Jordan wrote:
    >
    >>On Sep 9, 1:50 pm, David J Dachtera
    >>wrote:

    >>>4100's do have a RESET button. Should do the trick for you.

    >>A CTRL-C might work to get you back to the normal prompt.

    > CTRL+P might do it, also. Dunno - don't have a 4100 to play with.
    >
    > ...and it's not called a "RESET" button, it's called a HALT button on a 4100. My
    > bad.

    I don't have a 4100 I can look at but ISTR the ones I used to have had
    three buttons on the front, power, halt, and reset.

+ Reply to Thread