DECServer 700 help - VMS

This is a discussion on DECServer 700 help - VMS ; OK - it's been a while since I worked with a DECServer 700 so I wonder if anyone can please give me some advice and/or help? I am trying to configure a reverse LAT port from an Alpha GS140 to ...

  1. DECServer 700 help

    OK - it's been a while since I worked with a DECServer 700 so I wonder
    if anyone can please give me some advice and/or help?

    I am trying to configure a reverse LAT port from an Alpha GS140 to a
    DECServer 700. I have a 4800 baud clock signal that will go into the
    DECServer on port 7 and have VMS get the signal on LTA7.

    The clock is ansi characters in the format:

    203:00:00:02B

    I have looked at this signal on a VT320 on a crash cart and it is OK.
    (4800 baud, XON, 1 stop bit, noparity). The cable is connected via a
    null modem into port 7 of the DS700.

    Here's how the server port is configured:

    Port 7: (Remote) Server: RAQ1TS

    Character Size: 8 Input Speed: 4800
    Flow Control: XON Output Speed: 4800
    Parity: None Signal Control: Disabled
    Stop Bits: Dynamic Signal Select: CTS-DSR-RTS-DTR

    Access: Remote Local Switch: None
    Backwards Switch: None Name: PORT_7
    Break: Local Session Limit: 4
    Forwards Switch: None Type: Ansi
    Default Protocol: LAT Default Menu: None
    Autolink Timer One:10 Two:10 Dialer Script: None

    Preferred Service: None
    Authorized Groups: 0-255
    (Current) Groups: 0-255

    Enabled Characteristics:

    Here's the VMS LAT port:

    Local Port Name: _LTA7: Local Port Type: Application
    (Queued)
    Local Port State: Active
    Connected Link: TSLINK

    Target Port Name: PORT_7 Actual Port Name: PORT_7
    Target Node Name: RAQ1TS Actual Node Name: RAQ1TS
    Target Service Name: Actual Service Name:

    Here's the VMS LTA7 terminal:

    Terminal: _LTA7: Device_Type: Unknown Owner: NAME
    Username: USER

    Input: 4800 LFfill: 0 Width: 132 Parity: None
    Output: 4800 CRfill: 0 Page: 64

    Terminal Characteristics:
    Passall No Echo No Typeahead No Escape
    No Hostsync No TTsync Uppercase No Tab
    No Wrap Hardcopy No Remote Eightbit
    No Broadcast No Readsync No Form Fulldup
    No Modem No Local_echo No Autobaud No Hangup
    No Brdcstmbx No DMA Altypeahd Set_speed
    No Commsync No Line Editing Overstrike editing No
    Fallback
    No Dialup No Secure server No Disconnect Pasthru
    No Syspassword No SIXEL Graphics No Soft Characters No Printer
    Port
    Numeric Keypad No ANSI_CRT No Regis No
    Block_mode
    No Advanced_video No Edit_mode No DEC_CRT No
    DEC_CRT2
    No DEC_CRT3 No DEC_CRT4 No DEC_CRT5 No
    Ansi_Color
    VMS Style Input

    A set host/dte LTA7 will show either nothing or sometime a buch of
    characters that seem to be a baud rate mismatch.

    Here's what the program is getting for the input:

    Fmterr :OEOO˘

    Fmterr :OEOOŞ

    Fmterr :OEOO²

    Fmterr :OEOOş

    Fmterr :OEOOA

    Fmterr :OEOOE

    Fmterr :OEOO

    Fmterr :OEOO

    Fmterr :EOO

    Fmterr :EOO

    Fmterr :EOO˘

    Here's what it should look like:

    date= 7-SEP-2007 00:00:02.91 ,len= 23
    date= 7-SEP-2007 03:59:36.00 ,len= 23
    date= 7-SEP-2007 18:13:53.00 ,len= 23

    The example from a running program is from another server that is
    working except it is via a DS900. No - I don't have access to anything
    but the DS700 and the other server is across the country in another
    datacenter.

    I copied its port and terminal characteristics with three exceptions.

    1. The working system has NOAltypeahd on its terminal and I have no
    idea how to set that on mine.

    2. The DS900 has no Signal Select: CTS-DSR-RTS-DTR setting

    3. The DS900 has no Autolink Timer One:10 Two:10 setting

    I have three systems that are all configured the same (all with
    DS700's) and none work. I would think that eliminates a hardware
    error.

    Any thoughts?

    Thanks in advance!

    bakermo

    bakermo@swbell.net.yourpants

    email replies remove .yourpants

  2. Re: DECServer 700 help

    bakermo wrote:
    > OK - it's been a while since I worked with a DECServer 700 so I wonder
    > if anyone can please give me some advice and/or help?
    >
    > I am trying to configure a reverse LAT port from an Alpha GS140 to a
    > DECServer 700. I have a 4800 baud clock signal that will go into the
    > DECServer on port 7 and have VMS get the signal on LTA7.
    >
    > The clock is ansi characters in the format:
    >
    > 203:00:00:02B
    >
    > I have looked at this signal on a VT320 on a crash cart and it is OK.
    > (4800 baud, XON, 1 stop bit, noparity). The cable is connected via a
    > null modem into port 7 of the DS700.
    >
    > Here's how the server port is configured:

    > The example from a running program is from another server that is
    > working except it is via a DS900. No - I don't have access to anything
    > but the DS700 and the other server is across the country in another
    > datacenter.
    >
    > I copied its port and terminal characteristics with three exceptions.
    >
    > 1. The working system has NOAltypeahd on its terminal and I have no
    > idea how to set that on mine.

    $ SET TERMINAL /NOALTYPEAHD LTAnnn:

  3. Re: DECServer 700 help

    On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 18:26:00 -0400, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    wrote:

    >bakermo wrote:
    >> OK - it's been a while since I worked with a DECServer 700 so I wonder
    >> if anyone can please give me some advice and/or help?
    >>
    >> I am trying to configure a reverse LAT port from an Alpha GS140 to a
    >> DECServer 700. I have a 4800 baud clock signal that will go into the
    >> DECServer on port 7 and have VMS get the signal on LTA7.
    >>
    >> The clock is ansi characters in the format:
    >>
    >> 203:00:00:02B
    >>
    >> I have looked at this signal on a VT320 on a crash cart and it is OK.
    >> (4800 baud, XON, 1 stop bit, noparity). The cable is connected via a
    >> null modem into port 7 of the DS700.
    >>
    >> Here's how the server port is configured:

    >> The example from a running program is from another server that is
    >> working except it is via a DS900. No - I don't have access to anything
    >> but the DS700 and the other server is across the country in another
    >> datacenter.
    >>
    >> I copied its port and terminal characteristics with three exceptions.
    >>
    >> 1. The working system has NOAltypeahd on its terminal and I have no
    >> idea how to set that on mine.
    >>

    >$ SET TERMINAL /NOALTYPEAHD LTAnnn:

    If you look in the DCL dictionary you will see there is no such
    qualifier.

    bakermo

    bakermo@swbell.net.yourpants

    email replies remove .yourpants

  4. Re: DECServer 700 help

    bakermo wrote:
    > On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 18:26:00 -0400, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    > wrote:
    >

    >>bakermo wrote:
    >>
    >>>OK - it's been a while since I worked with a DECServer 700 so I wonder
    >>>if anyone can please give me some advice and/or help?
    >>>
    >>>I am trying to configure a reverse LAT port from an Alpha GS140 to a
    >>>DECServer 700. I have a 4800 baud clock signal that will go into the
    >>>DECServer on port 7 and have VMS get the signal on LTA7.
    >>>
    >>>The clock is ansi characters in the format:
    >>>
    >>>203:00:00:02B
    >>>
    >>>I have looked at this signal on a VT320 on a crash cart and it is OK.
    >>>(4800 baud, XON, 1 stop bit, noparity). The cable is connected via a
    >>>null modem into port 7 of the DS700.
    >>>
    >>>Here's how the server port is configured:

    >>>The example from a running program is from another server that is
    >>>working except it is via a DS900. No - I don't have access to anything
    >>>but the DS700 and the other server is across the country in another
    >>>datacenter.
    >>>
    >>>I copied its port and terminal characteristics with three exceptions.
    >>>
    >>>1. The working system has NOAltypeahd on its terminal and I have no
    >>>idea how to set that on mine.
    >>>

    >>$ SET TERMINAL /NOALTYPEAHD LTAnnn:

    > If you look in the DCL dictionary you will see there is no such
    > qualifier.

    My bad!

    It appears that once ALTYPEAHD has been set, there is no way to turn it
    off short of logging off and on again.

    If there WERE a way to turn it off, it would be /NOALTYPEAHD.

  5. Re: DECServer 700 help

    bakermo wrote:
    > OK - it's been a while since I worked with a DECServer 700 so I wonder
    > if anyone can please give me some advice and/or help?
    >
    > I am trying to configure a reverse LAT port from an Alpha GS140 to a
    > DECServer 700. I have a 4800 baud clock signal that will go into the
    > DECServer on port 7 and have VMS get the signal on LTA7.
    >
    > The clock is ansi characters in the format:
    >
    > 203:00:00:02B

    I presume you mean ASCII.

    ANSI in this context usually applies to escape sequences used to control
    terminal functions, usually display features.

    > I have looked at this signal on a VT320 on a crash cart and it is OK.
    > (4800 baud, XON, 1 stop bit, noparity). The cable is connected via a
    > null modem into port 7 of the DS700.
    >
    > Here's how the server port is configured:
    >
    > Port 7: (Remote) Server: RAQ1TS
    >
    > Character Size: 8 Input Speed: 4800
    > Flow Control: XON Output Speed: 4800
    > Parity: None Signal Control: Disabled
    > Stop Bits: Dynamic Signal Select: CTS-DSR-RTS-DTR

    Should be 1 stop bit for anything other than 110 baud.

    > Access: Remote Local Switch: None
    > Backwards Switch: None Name: PORT_7
    > Break: Local Session Limit: 4
    > Forwards Switch: None Type: Ansi
    > Default Protocol: LAT Default Menu: None
    > Autolink Timer One:10 Two:10 Dialer Script: None
    >
    > Preferred Service: None
    > Authorized Groups: 0-255
    > (Current) Groups: 0-255
    >
    > Enabled Characteristics:
    >
    > ================================================== ========
    >
    > Here's the VMS LAT port:
    >
    > Local Port Name: _LTA7: Local Port Type: Application
    > (Queued)
    > Local Port State: Active
    > Connected Link: TSLINK
    >
    > Target Port Name: PORT_7 Actual Port Name: PORT_7
    > Target Node Name: RAQ1TS Actual Node Name: RAQ1TS
    > Target Service Name: Actual Service Name:
    >
    > ================================================== =======
    >
    > Here's the VMS LTA7 terminal:
    >
    > Terminal: _LTA7: Device_Type: Unknown Owner: NAME
    > Username: USER
    >
    > Input: 4800 LFfill: 0 Width: 132 Parity: None
    > Output: 4800 CRfill: 0 Page: 64
    >
    > Terminal Characteristics:
    > Passall No Echo No Typeahead No Escape
    > No Hostsync No TTsync Uppercase No Tab
    > No Wrap Hardcopy No Remote Eightbit
    > No Broadcast No Readsync No Form Fulldup
    > No Modem No Local_echo No Autobaud No Hangup
    > No Brdcstmbx No DMA Altypeahd Set_speed
    > No Commsync No Line Editing Overstrike editing No
    > Fallback
    > No Dialup No Secure server No Disconnect Pasthru
    > No Syspassword No SIXEL Graphics No Soft Characters No Printer
    > Port
    > Numeric Keypad No ANSI_CRT No Regis No
    > Block_mode
    > No Advanced_video No Edit_mode No DEC_CRT No
    > DEC_CRT2
    > No DEC_CRT3 No DEC_CRT4 No DEC_CRT5 No
    > Ansi_Color
    > VMS Style Input
    >
    > ================================================== ======
    >
    > A set host/dte LTA7 will show either nothing or sometime a buch of
    > characters that seem to be a baud rate mismatch.

    Are you doing:

    $allocate lta7
    $set term lta7:/type
    $set host/dte lta7:

    $deallocate lta7:

    > Here's what the program is getting for the input:
    >

    > Fmterr :OEOO˘
    >
    > Fmterr :OEOOŞ
    >
    > Fmterr :OEOO²
    >
    > Fmterr :OEOOş
    >
    > Fmterr :OEOOA
    >
    > Fmterr :OEOOE
    >
    > Fmterr :OEOO
    >
    > Fmterr :OEOO
    >
    > Fmterr :EOO
    >

    > Fmterr :EOO
    >

    > Fmterr :EOO˘

    > Here's what it should look like:
    >
    > date= 7-SEP-2007 00:00:02.91 ,len= 23
    > date= 7-SEP-2007 03:59:36.00 ,len= 23
    > date= 7-SEP-2007 18:13:53.00 ,len= 23

    > The example from a running program is from another server that is
    > working except it is via a DS900. No - I don't have access to anything
    > but the DS700 and the other server is across the country in another
    > datacenter.
    >
    > I copied its port and terminal characteristics with three exceptions.
    >
    > 1. The working system has NOAltypeahd on its terminal and I have no
    > idea how to set that on mine.

    Altypeahd is a larger type ahead buffer. Having it on should improve
    things in most cases like this. Usually though I have needed to make it
    larger via AUTOGEN. But for a clock, it is probably not an issue.

    > 2. The DS900 has no Signal Select: CTS-DSR-RTS-DTR setting

    Watch how your cable is wired. If the DS900 does not support a signal
    pair, it should be jumpered at the end of the cable.

    CTS should be jumpered to RTS, and DTR should be jumpered to DSR if the
    cable is not supporting them. Some devices will not send data if the
    CTS signal is not asserted. If the hardware supports it, it is
    preferable to use CTS/RTS for handshaking instead of XON/XOFF.

    Normally though, your device should be asserting DTR when it is on, and
    that signal will be wired to the DECserver DSR line, which the
    application can monitor as a sanity check.

    The DECServer should assert DTR when ever is allocated by an
    application, the crossover cable should connect this to the device DSR
    line. Devices may decide not to send data if they do not see a DSR
    signal. The lack of a DSR signal indicates to them that there is
    nothing on the other end of the wire.

    Printers tend to use DTR/DSR for flow control instead of RTS/CTS for
    some reason. This is preferred as some terminals servers forget the
    state of the XON/XOFF when they are not allocated to a process on a host.

    > 3. The DS900 has no Autolink Timer One:10 Two:10 setting

    I am not remembering what this does, and not sure that it means anything
    in this application.

    > I have three systems that are all configured the same (all with
    > DS700's) and none work. I would think that eliminates a hardware
    > error.

    It makes it unlikely that there is a malfunction in the DS700, but does
    not eliminate other errors.

    > Any thoughts?

    The type of noise that you are seeing looks like either a baud rate
    mis-match or of a wiring error.

    Verify that you have the baud rate right. Some devices will autobaud,
    which works when they are connected to a real terminal and someone hits
    enter, but does not work when they are connected to a computer type device.

    The application should be setting the port to /typeahead after it
    assigns a channel to the ltann: device. Failure to do that may cause
    problems.

    If modtap or modular connectors are involved, be aware that there are
    two signal commons on the cable. Both must be connected to the single
    signal common(ground) on the typical D connector. If you only run one,
    because of the twist in a NULL modem configuration, you actually end up
    with no signal commons being connected. Surprisingly I have seen this
    type of mis-configuration work most of the time, but it tends to fail
    with the phase of the moon. In one case it was found that the safety
    ground pin in the powerlines was handling the signal return because the
    modular to D connectors were miswired by having only one signal common
    connected at each end.

    -John
    wb8tyw@qsl.network
    Personal Opinion Only

  6. Re: DECServer 700 help

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    > bakermo wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 18:26:00 -0400, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    >> wrote:

    >>> $ SET TERMINAL /NOALTYPEAHD LTAnnn:

    >> If you look in the DCL dictionary you will see there is no such
    >> qualifier.

    > My bad!
    >
    > It appears that once ALTYPEAHD has been set, there is no way to turn it
    > off short of logging off and on again.
    >
    > If there WERE a way to turn it off, it would be /NOALTYPEAHD.

    Yeah, but that's not your problem, unless the sysgen parameter TTY_ALTYPAHD
    is set to something too small to allow a complete message from the clock
    to be received. (Normally ALTYPEAHD is used to set a LARGER buffer for
    some terminal ports, i.e. those used for "high-speed" comms, like for
    Kermit or X modem, where you might be pumping in large quantities of data.)

    Something must have done a set term LTA7:/altypeahd/permanent for this
    to have happened (or there's a non-default value for TTY_DEFCHAR or (maybe)
    someone set LTA0: to use /altypeahd; it's a template device so its
    characteristics might propagate to cloned devices such as LTA7:.

    It may well be that SET TERM/NOALTYPEAHD actually works, even though
    it isn't documented. If not, it should reset to the permanent
    characteristics when the device becomes free (log out if logged into
    it or deallocate it from any owning process and close any I/O channels
    to it.) If the *permanent* characteristics have been set to /ALTYPEAHD
    (visible with show terminal/permanent), then the only way to clear it
    is to write a program (requires LOG_IO privilege) to assign a channel
    to it, read the current permanent characteristics (QIO with IO$_SENSECHAR
    function code), clear the right bit, and set them back (IO$_SETCHAR
    function.)

    But this isn't your problem, I'm pretty sure.

    You say the clock works with a terminal connected to it. Are you using
    the null modem cable? If not, the clock is DCE and the the terminal is
    DTE. Since the terminal server is also DCE, you need a null modem between
    the clock and the DECServer. On the other hand, if you do have a
    null modem between the terminal and the clock, then the clock is DTE and
    so you want a straight-through connection to the DS700, not a null modem.
    (This gets complicated to determine if they use different connector types,
    such as DB25 and MMJ or RJ45. Some of the adapters might be crossing
    the signals over. This kind of thing is much easier to diagnose with
    a break-out box, if you can find one.)

    DS700's came in two varieties, one with 8 modem control ports and DB25
    connectors, and the other with 16 non-modem ports with RJ45 connectors.
    IIRC, the VT320 was MMJ, so you must have some kind of adapter which
    is clouding the picture. I've never used a DS900, but I think they
    all had RJ45 ports.

    I doubt the clock requires modem signals, but it might need hardware
    flow control (RTS/CTS crossed over.)

    I think both the DS700 and DS900 ran the same software, but the differences
    you are seeing in the display might be due to different versions of the
    software, or because one has modem control ports (DS700) and the other
    does not. SHOW PORT STATUS on the DS700 should show the current state
    of the modem signals, but I think you've got it set to ignore them anyway.

    HTH.

    --
    John Santos
    Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.

  7. Re: DECServer 700 help

    bakermo wrote:

    > OK - it's been a while since I worked with a DECServer 700 so I wonder
    > if anyone can please give me some advice and/or help?
    >
    > I am trying to configure a reverse LAT port from an Alpha GS140 to a
    > DECServer 700. I have a 4800 baud clock signal that will go into the
    > DECServer on port 7 and have VMS get the signal on LTA7.

    When you say "4800 baud clock signal", do you mean that the dat being sent to
    the serial port appears at a buad rate of 4800, or are you saying that the clock
    is a SYNCHRONOUS serial interface (which the DECserver-700 does not support,
    AFAIK)?

    > The clock is ansi characters in the format:
    >
    > 203:00:00:02B
    >
    > I have looked at this signal on a VT320 on a crash cart and it is OK.
    > (4800 baud, XON, 1 stop bit, noparity). The cable is connected via a
    > null modem into port 7 of the DS700.
    >
    > Here's how the server port is configured:
    >
    > Port 7: (Remote) Server: RAQ1TS
    >
    > Character Size: 8 Input Speed: 4800
    > Flow Control: XON Output Speed: 4800
    > Parity: None Signal Control: Disabled
    > Stop Bits: Dynamic Signal Select: CTS-DSR-RTS-DTR
    >
    > Access: Remote Local Switch: None
    > Backwards Switch: None Name: PORT_7
    > Break: Local Session Limit: 4
    > Forwards Switch: None Type: Ansi
    > Default Protocol: LAT Default Menu: None
    > Autolink Timer One:10 Two:10 Dialer Script: None
    >
    > Preferred Service: None
    > Authorized Groups: 0-255
    > (Current) Groups: 0-255
    >
    > Enabled Characteristics:

    As John M. pointed out, you'll want "Stop bits" to be 1, in all likelihood.
    Also, you indicated above "4800 baud, XON, 1 stop bit, noparity". So, "Stop
    bits" should indeed be 1.

    However, note you indication of "XON". Does this not conflict with the port
    setting (hardware flow control)?

    > I have three systems that are all configured the same (all with
    > DS700's) and none work. I would think that eliminates a hardware
    > error.

    Configuration issue, most likely.

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  8. Re: DECServer 700 help

    On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 13:48:53 -0500, David J Dachtera
    wrote:

    >bakermo wrote:
    >>
    >> OK - it's been a while since I worked with a DECServer 700 so I wonder
    >> if anyone can please give me some advice and/or help?
    >>
    >> I am trying to configure a reverse LAT port from an Alpha GS140 to a
    >> DECServer 700. I have a 4800 baud clock signal that will go into the
    >> DECServer on port 7 and have VMS get the signal on LTA7.

    >When you say "4800 baud clock signal", do you mean that the dat being sent to
    >the serial port appears at a buad rate of 4800, or are you saying that the clock
    >is a SYNCHRONOUS serial interface (which the DECserver-700 does not support,
    >AFAIK)?

    4800 BAUD rate

    >> The clock is ansi characters in the format:
    >>
    >> 203:00:00:02B
    >>
    >> I have looked at this signal on a VT320 on a crash cart and it is OK.
    >> (4800 baud, XON, 1 stop bit, noparity). The cable is connected via a
    >> null modem into port 7 of the DS700.
    >>
    >> Here's how the server port is configured:
    >>
    >> Port 7: (Remote) Server: RAQ1TS
    >>
    >> Character Size: 8 Input Speed: 4800
    >> Flow Control: XON Output Speed: 4800
    >> Parity: None Signal Control: Disabled
    >> Stop Bits: Dynamic Signal Select: CTS-DSR-RTS-DTR
    >>
    >> Access: Remote Local Switch: None
    >> Backwards Switch: None Name: PORT_7
    >> Break: Local Session Limit: 4
    >> Forwards Switch: None Type: Ansi
    >> Default Protocol: LAT Default Menu: None
    >> Autolink Timer One:10 Two:10 Dialer Script: None
    >>
    >> Preferred Service: None
    >> Authorized Groups: 0-255
    >> (Current) Groups: 0-255
    >>
    >> Enabled Characteristics:

    >As John M. pointed out, you'll want "Stop bits" to be 1, in all likelihood.
    >Also, you indicated above "4800 baud, XON, 1 stop bit, noparity". So, "Stop
    >bits" should indeed be 1.
    >
    >However, note you indication of "XON". Does this not conflict with the port
    >setting (hardware flow control)?

    How so?

    >> I have three systems that are all configured the same (all with
    >> DS700's) and none work. I would think that eliminates a hardware
    >> error.

    >Configuration issue, most likely.

    TSM_SVR_RAQ1TS> sh po 7 status

    Port 7: (Remote) Server: RAQ1TS

    Access: Remote Current Service:
    Sessions: 1 Current Port:
    LTA7

    Input XOFFed: No Output Signals: DTR RTS
    Output XOFFed: No Input Signals: RXD

    I am begining to think it is the null modem adaptors not wired
    correctly. I have found my DECServer 700 manual (they are RJ45
    connectors) with the pin definitions.

    Tomorrow morning I will have a look and see.

    Thanks to all who have replied!

    bakermo

    bakermo@swbell.net.yourpants

    email replies remove .yourpants

  9. Re: DECServer 700 help

    bakermo wrote:

    > On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 13:48:53 -0500, David J Dachtera
    > wrote:
    >
    > >bakermo wrote:
    > >>
    > >> OK - it's been a while since I worked with a DECServer 700 so I wonder
    > >> if anyone can please give me some advice and/or help?
    > >>
    > >> I am trying to configure a reverse LAT port from an Alpha GS140 to a
    > >> DECServer 700. I have a 4800 baud clock signal that will go into the
    > >> DECServer on port 7 and have VMS get the signal on LTA7.

    > >When you say "4800 baud clock signal", do you mean that the dat being sent to
    > >the serial port appears at a buad rate of 4800, or are you saying that the clock
    > >is a SYNCHRONOUS serial interface (which the DECserver-700 does not support,
    > >AFAIK)?

    > 4800 BAUD rate
    >

    > >> The clock is ansi characters in the format:
    > >>
    > >> 203:00:00:02B
    > >>
    > >> I have looked at this signal on a VT320 on a crash cart and it is OK.
    > >> (4800 baud, XON, 1 stop bit, noparity). The cable is connected via a
    > >> null modem into port 7 of the DS700.
    > >>
    > >> Here's how the server port is configured:
    > >>
    > >> Port 7: (Remote) Server: RAQ1TS
    > >>
    > >> Character Size: 8 Input Speed: 4800
    > >> Flow Control: XON Output Speed: 4800
    > >> Parity: None Signal Control: Disabled
    > >> Stop Bits: Dynamic Signal Select: CTS-DSR-RTS-DTR
    > >>
    > >> Access: Remote Local Switch: None
    > >> Backwards Switch: None Name: PORT_7
    > >> Break: Local Session Limit: 4
    > >> Forwards Switch: None Type: Ansi
    > >> Default Protocol: LAT Default Menu: None
    > >> Autolink Timer One:10 Two:10 Dialer Script: None
    > >>
    > >> Preferred Service: None
    > >> Authorized Groups: 0-255
    > >> (Current) Groups: 0-255
    > >>
    > >> Enabled Characteristics:

    > >As John M. pointed out, you'll want "Stop bits" to be 1, in all likelihood.
    > >Also, you indicated above "4800 baud, XON, 1 stop bit, noparity". So, "Stop
    > >bits" should indeed be 1.
    > >
    > >However, note you indication of "XON". Does this not conflict with the port
    > >setting (hardware flow control)?

    > How so?

    O.k. Let's try that again...

    You said "(4800 baud, XON, 1 stop bit, noparity)". That is, XON/XOF flow
    control.

    You indicated that the DECserver port is set up for:

    [...]
    Parity: None Signal Control: Disabled
    Stop Bits: Dynamic Signal Select: CTS-DSR-RTS-DTR
    [...]

    That is, hardware flow control.

    What's wrong with this picture?

    (Hint: XON/XOF != Hardware flow control.)

    See HELP SET PORT or HELP DEF PORT or HELP CHANGE PORT while at the DECserver's
    console prompt with privilege enabled.

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems
    http://www.djesys.com/

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  10. Re: DECServer 700 help

    On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 17:11:26 -0500, bakermo
    wrote:

    >OK - it's been a while since I worked with a DECServer 700 so I wonder
    >if anyone can please give me some advice and/or help?

    Thanks to all who replied and offered suggestions and/or advice.

    It was, after all, the null-MODEM cables. They were not wired
    correctly. Luckily I found my old DECServer700 hardware manual and was
    able to verify the RJ45 pin-outs.

    I made no changes to any of the settings I originally posted. Only the
    null-MODEM cables were changed and everything works.

    So it seems my memory is not that bad after all!

    ;-)

    Thanks again for the support!

    bakermo

    bakermo@swbell.net.yourpants

    email replies remove .yourpants

  11. Re: DECServer 700 help

    David J Dachtera wrote:
    > [...]
    > Parity: None Signal Control: Disabled
    > Stop Bits: Dynamic Signal Select: CTS-DSR-RTS-DTR
    > [...]
    >
    > That is, hardware flow control.

    No, that's hardware flow control DISABLED (Signal Control: Disabled).

    Signal select ... means that there are different pin layouts
    (software) selectable, and CTS-DSR-RTS-DTR is the configured one.

    Albrecht

  12. Re: DECServer 700 help

    Albrecht Schlosser wrote:

    > David J Dachtera wrote:
    > > [...]
    > > Parity: None Signal Control: Disabled
    > > Stop Bits: Dynamic Signal Select: CTS-DSR-RTS-DTR
    > > [...]
    > >
    > > That is, hardware flow control.

    > No, that's hardware flow control DISABLED (Signal Control: Disabled).
    >
    > Signal select ... means that there are different pin layouts
    > (software) selectable, and CTS-DSR-RTS-DTR is the configured one.

    The point remains, however, that these are in conflict with the device's port
    configuration as indicated by the OP.

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems
    http://www.djesys.com/

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  13. Re: DECServer 700 help

    David J Dachtera wrote:

    > The point remains, however, that these are in conflict with the device's port
    > configuration as indicated by the OP.

    Sorry, if I insist, but ...

    no, he said XON, but you said hardware flow control. And it's configured
    with XON.

  14. Re: DECServer 700 help

    Albrecht Schlosser wrote:

    > David J Dachtera wrote:
    > >
    > > The point remains, however, that these are in conflict with the device's port
    > > configuration as indicated by the OP.

    > Sorry, if I insist, but ...
    >
    > no, he said XON, but you said hardware flow control.

    Well, actually, no I didn't. Go back and re-read the earlier posts - you may be
    confusing yourself. If English is not your first language, be careful - some of
    my contextual constructs can be complex and potentially confusing.

    > And it's configured
    > with XON.

    ....which IS what he said, as I quoted. I also indicated that the TERMINAL SERVER
    PORT (-NOT- the device port) was configured for hardware flow control, and then
    you indicated that signalling was disabled which is effectively NO flow control.

    So, that's still a mismatch.

    Are there any other questions?

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems
    http://www.djesys.com/

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  15. Re: DECServer 700 help

    David J Dachtera wrote:
    > Albrecht Schlosser wrote:
    >> David J Dachtera wrote:
    >>> The point remains, however, that these are in conflict with the device's port
    >>> configuration as indicated by the OP.

    >> Sorry, if I insist, but ...
    >>
    >> no, he said XON, but you said hardware flow control.

    > Well, actually, no I didn't. Go back and re-read the earlier posts - you may be
    > confusing yourself. If English is not your first language, be careful - some of
    > my contextual constructs can be complex and potentially confusing.

    You're right, English is not my first language. And I went back and re-read the
    earlier posts. You did not explicitly write it down in clear words, but what
    does this mean?

    [from your earlier post:]

    > You said "(4800 baud, XON, 1 stop bit, noparity)". That is, XON/XOF flow
    > control.
    >
    > You indicated that the DECserver port is set up for:
    >
    > [...]
    > Parity: None Signal Control: Disabled
    > Stop Bits: Dynamic Signal Select: CTS-DSR-RTS-DTR
    > [...]
    >
    > That is, hardware flow control.
    >
    > What's wrong with this picture?
    >
    > (Hint: XON/XOF != Hardware flow control.)

    Didn't YOU write "That is, hardware flow control?" You omitted, however,
    one important line from the port configuration output:

    > Flow Control: XON Output Speed: 4800

    So, this all together means: the terminal server port is configured with
    XON/XOFF flow control, and hardware flow control is disabled.

    > ...which IS what he said, as I quoted. I also indicated that the TERMINAL SERVER
    > PORT (-NOT- the device port) was configured for hardware flow control, and then
    > you indicated that signalling was disabled which is effectively NO flow control.

    Yes, no HARDWARE flow control, but still XON flow control.

    > So, that's still a mismatch.

    No.

    > Are there any other questions?

    Shouldn't we better stop this academic discussion?

    Regards
    Albrecht

+ Reply to Thread