node and port alloclass, cannot add a node to the cluster - VMS

This is a discussion on node and port alloclass, cannot add a node to the cluster - VMS ; On Apr 11, 8:33*am, Anton Shterenlikht wrote: > My password expired on node 1 in a vms cluster, so I cannot connect > with ssh (old problem). I can connect to node 2 using system account. > Can I change ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 38 of 38

  1. Re: change password on node 1 from node 2

    On Apr 11, 8:33*am, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
    > My password expired on node 1 in a vms cluster, so I cannot connect
    > with ssh (old problem). I can connect to node 2 using system account.
    > Can I change a system or an ordinary user password on node 1 from node 2?
    >
    > I tried SYSMAN, but cannot see how to do it.
    > I'm also thinking about copying SYSUAF.DAT from node 1 to node 2,
    > running AUTHORIZE on it to change the password, and then sending it
    > back to node 1. Is that a good idea?
    >
    > I can, of course, do it from the console, if everytinkg else fails.
    >
    > many thanks
    > anton
    >
    > --
    > Anton Shterenlikht
    > Room 2.6, Queen's Building
    > Mech Eng Dept
    > Bristol University
    > University Walk, Bristol BS8 1TR, UK
    > Tel: +44 (0)117 928 8233
    > Fax: +44 (0)117 929 4423

    Returning to your original problem, I think the answer is in the out
    put
    Below, LLAMA is booting, sends request to DONKEY, however it joins
    the cluster as
    OKAPI, vis. "%CNXMAN, Now a VMScluster member -- system OKAPI"

    This implies to me, that LLAMA is booting from the wrong root, i.e.
    that the BOOT_OSFLAGS is incorrectly set at the console level on
    LLAMA.

    If LLAMA is booting from SYS0 root, BOOT_OSFLAGS should be 0,0
    If LLAMA is booting from SYS1 root, BOOT_OSFLAGS should be 1,0
    If LLAMA is booting from SYS2 root, BOOT_OSFLAGS should be 2,0

    etc, etc (or should it be the other way around)

    I assume that OKAPI is on SYS0, since it is the original Alpha
    node. If LLAMA boots with boot flags set to 0,0 it will try to come
    up as OKAPI, which is a problem since OKAPI is already up.

    Dave.

    on LLAMA during booting
    *******************

    %CNXMAN, Sending VMScluster membership request to system DONKEY
    %CNXMAN, Now a VMScluster member -- system OKAPI
    %STDRV-I-STARTUP, OpenVMS startup begun at 7-SEP-2007 15:49:09.14
    %CNXMAN, Lost connection to system DONKEY
    %PEA0, Port has Closed Virtual Circuit - REMOTE NODE OKAPI

    %CNXMAN, Quorum lost, blocking activity

  2. Re: change password on node 1 from node 2

    In article <7dd80f60804111006h472c381o5c00f37dc79cccc9@mail.gm ail.com>,
    "Ken Robinson" wrote:

    > On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 12:53 PM, Richard B. Gilbert
    > wrote (in part):
    >
    > > Try "MCR". "MC" is just an abbreviation. MCR was an acronym for Monitor
    > > Console Routine. It came from one or more of the PDP-11 operating systems.
    > > In recent versions of VMS, say 4.0 and later, it's a synonym for RUN
    > > SYS$SYSTEM:

    > No, it's not a synonym for RUN SYS$SYSTEM. When you use the MCR
    > command to invoke a program, you can pass parameters to the program on
    > the command line. You can not do that with the RUN command. It is more
    > of a shortcut for defining a foreign command.

    Also, SYS$SYSTEM: is only a default. You can also do:

    $ mcr mydev:[mydir]myprog parameter_list

    or more commonly when developing and testing a program:

    $ mcr sys$disk:[]myprog "''parameter_list'"

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks:

  3. Re: change password on node 1 from node 2

    In article <20080411123305.GA1876@mech-aslap33.men.bris.ac.uk>, Anton Shterenlikht writes:
    > My password expired on node 1 in a vms cluster, so I cannot connect
    > with ssh (old problem). I can connect to node 2 using system account.
    > Can I change a system or an ordinary user password on node 1 from node 2?

    A homogeneous cluster (the only supported kind) has a single UAF.
    You can change the password from any node. If you are logged onto
    the SYSTEM account on any node and you change it, that applies to
    all nodes.

  4. Re: change password on node 1 from node 2

    In article <20080411160017.GA3095@mech-aslap33.men.bris.ac.uk>, Anton Shterenlikht writes:
    > On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 03:06:07PM +0200, Raf The Cat wrote:
    >> hi hanton
    >>
    >> $ assign node2::sys$system:sysuaf.dat sysuaf
    >> $ mc authorize mod .....

    > mc is not a DCL command, is it? I can't find any info on mc.

    MC is the unique abreviation that selects the MCR command. MCR was
    the primary command langauge on RSX-11M/M+ as was once a supported
    command language on VMS.

    MCR x can be taken as short for "run sys$system:x", but unlike the
    run command, it allows command parameters. A path can be given to
    override the default of sys$system:.

  5. Re: change password on node 1 from node 2

    Sorry anton
    but he exists number of routine of call which are not researches in
    bookshops DCL I shall play better in term explanation next time

    Best regards

    Yves-laurent Richard
    systems engineering of digital equipment since 1983

    "Bob Koehler" a écrit dans le
    message de news: 5dvEfgz3yRpz@eisner.encompasserve.org...
    > In article <20080411160017.GA3095@mech-aslap33.men.bris.ac.uk>, Anton
    > Shterenlikht writes:
    >> On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 03:06:07PM +0200, Raf The Cat wrote:
    >>> hi hanton
    >>>
    >>> $ assign node2::sys$system:sysuaf.dat sysuaf
    >>> $ mc authorize mod .....

    >> mc is not a DCL command, is it? I can't find any info on mc.

    > MC is the unique abreviation that selects the MCR command. MCR was
    > the primary command langauge on RSX-11M/M+ as was once a supported
    > command language on VMS.
    >
    > MCR x can be taken as short for "run sys$system:x", but unlike the
    > run command, it allows command parameters. A path can be given to
    > override the default of sys$system:.

  6. Re: change password on node 1 from node 2

    On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 01:53:57PM -0500, Bob Koehler wrote:
    > In article <20080411160017.GA3095@mech-aslap33.men.bris.ac.uk>, Anton Shterenlikht writes:
    > > On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 03:06:07PM +0200, Raf The Cat wrote:
    > >> hi hanton
    > >>
    > >> $ assign node2::sys$system:sysuaf.dat sysuaf
    > >> $ mc authorize mod .....

    > > mc is not a DCL command, is it? I can't find any info on mc.

    > MC is the unique abreviation that selects the MCR command. MCR was
    > the primary command langauge on RSX-11M/M+ as was once a supported
    > command language on VMS.
    >
    > MCR x can be taken as short for "run sys$system:x", but unlike the
    > run command, it allows command parameters. A path can be given to
    > override the default of sys$system:.

    Many thanks to all who responded.
    MCR seem to be more powerfull (and useful) then RUN.
    Any reason why it is not included in HELP?
    Is its use discouraged?
    Is it obsolete/unsupported?

    thanks
    anton

    --
    Anton Shterenlikht
    Room 2.6, Queen's Building
    Mech Eng Dept
    Bristol University
    University Walk, Bristol BS8 1TR, UK
    Tel: +44 (0)117 928 8233
    Fax: +44 (0)117 929 4423

  7. Re: change password on node 1 from node 2

    On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 01:51:40PM -0500, Bob Koehler wrote:
    > In article <20080411123305.GA1876@mech-aslap33.men.bris.ac.uk>, Anton Shterenlikht writes:
    > > My password expired on node 1 in a vms cluster, so I cannot connect
    > > with ssh (old problem). I can connect to node 2 using system account.
    > > Can I change a system or an ordinary user password on node 1 from node 2?

    > A homogeneous cluster (the only supported kind) has a single UAF.
    > You can change the password from any node. If you are logged onto
    > the SYSTEM account on any node and you change it, that applies to
    > all nodes.

    Are you saying a cluster with "multiple UAFs to enable node-specific quotas"
    (section 5.1 Shareable Resources from OpenVMS Cluster Systems, June 2002)
    is unsupported?

    --
    Anton Shterenlikht
    Room 2.6, Queen's Building
    Mech Eng Dept
    Bristol University
    University Walk, Bristol BS8 1TR, UK
    Tel: +44 (0)117 928 8233
    Fax: +44 (0)117 929 4423

  8. Re: node and port alloclass, cannot add a node to the cluster

    On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 10:46:26AM -0700, BaxterD@tessco.com wrote:
    > On Sep 7 2007, 11:50am, Anton Shterenlikht
    > wrote:
    >> I've a 2node cluster and I'm having trouble adding a 3rd node.

    [skip]

    > Anton,
    >
    > Returning to your original problem, I think the answer is in the
    > output.
    >
    > Below, LLAMA is booting, sends request to DONKEY, however it
    > joins
    > the cluster as OKAPI, vis.
    > "%CNXMAN, Now a VMScluster member -- system OKAPI"
    >
    > This implies to me, that LLAMA is booting from the wrong root, i.e.
    > that the BOOT_OSFLAGS is incorrectly set at the console level on
    > LLAMA.
    >

    > If LLAMA is booting from SYS0 root, BOOT_OSFLAGS should be 0,0
    > If LLAMA is booting from SYS1 root, BOOT_OSFLAGS should be 1,0
    > If LLAMA is booting from SYS2 root, BOOT_OSFLAGS should be 2,0
    >

    > etc, etc.
    >

    > I assume that OKAPI is on SYS0, since it is the original Alpha
    > node. If LLAMA boots with boot flags set to 0,0 it will try to
    > come
    > up as OKAPI, which is a problem since OKAPI is already up.
    >

    > Dave.
    >

    > on LLAMA during booting
    > *******************
    >

    > %CNXMAN, Sending VMScluster membership request to system DONKEY
    > %CNXMAN, Now a VMScluster member -- system OKAPI
    > %STDRV-I-STARTUP, OpenVMS startup begun at 7-SEP-2007 15:49:09.14
    > %CNXMAN, Lost connection to system DONKEY
    > %PEA0, Port has Closed Virtual Circuit - REMOTE NODE OKAPI
    >

    > %CNXMAN, Quorum lost, blocking activity

    Dave, many thanks. It's been a while, but I still haven't sorted this out.
    I'll give this a go now.

    thanks again
    anton

    --
    Anton Shterenlikht
    Room 2.6, Queen's Building
    Mech Eng Dept
    Bristol University
    University Walk, Bristol BS8 1TR, UK
    Tel: +44 (0)117 928 8233
    Fax: +44 (0)117 929 4423

  9. Re: change password on node 1 from node 2

    On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 9:55 AM, Bob Koehler
    wrote (in part):
    > I'm saying I used to run heterogeneous clusters and they are no
    > longer supported. But I ran them just fine long after they were
    > supported.

    Please cite the current support documents that state the above. AFAIK,
    heterogeneous clusters have always been supported.

    Ken

  10. Re: change password on node 1 from node 2

    In article <20080414110806.GA23337@mech-aslap33.men.bris.ac.uk>, Anton Shterenlikht writes:
    > On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 01:51:40PM -0500, Bob Koehler wrote:
    >> In article <20080411123305.GA1876@mech-aslap33.men.bris.ac.uk>, Anton Shterenlikht writes:
    >> > My password expired on node 1 in a vms cluster, so I cannot connect
    >> > with ssh (old problem). I can connect to node 2 using system account.
    >> > Can I change a system or an ordinary user password on node 1 from node 2?

    >> A homogeneous cluster (the only supported kind) has a single UAF.
    >> You can change the password from any node. If you are logged onto
    >> the SYSTEM account on any node and you change it, that applies to
    >> all nodes.

    > Are you saying a cluster with "multiple UAFs to enable node-specific quotas"
    > (section 5.1 Shareable Resources from OpenVMS Cluster Systems, June 2002)
    > is unsupported?

    I'm saying I used to run heterogeneous clusters and they are no
    longer supported. But I ran them just fine long after they were
    supported.

  11. Re: change password on node 1 from node 2

    In article <20080414095351.GA26566@mech-aslap33.men.bris.ac.uk>, Anton Shterenlikht writes:

    > MCR seem to be more powerfull (and useful) then RUN.
    > Any reason why it is not included in HELP?
    > Is its use discouraged?
    > Is it obsolete/unsupported?

    I think it was removed from much of the documentation starting at VMS
    4.0 when the RSX AME became a layered product no longer requiring
    hardware support (the compatability mode instruction set was
    suplemented by en emulator).

    But it shows up in many very much supported tools, such as
    SYS$SYSTEM:SHUTDOWN.COM and I don't think VMS Engineering is in any
    hurry to break upward compatability by removing it. (4.0 was 24
    years ago).

  12. Re: change password on node 1 from node 2

    In article <5dvEfgz3yRpz@eisner.encompasserve.org>,
    koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org says...
    > In article <20080411160017.GA3095@mech-aslap33.men.bris.ac.uk>, Anton Shterenlikht writes:
    > > On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 03:06:07PM +0200, Raf The Cat wrote:
    > >> hi hanton
    > >>
    > >> $ assign node2::sys$system:sysuaf.dat sysuaf
    > >> $ mc authorize mod .....

    > > mc is not a DCL command, is it? I can't find any info on mc.

    > MC is the unique abreviation that selects the MCR command. MCR was
    > the primary command langauge on RSX-11M/M+ as was once a supported
    > command language on VMS.

    "MC" is *NOT* a unique abbreviation for "MCR", at least not if you've
    added something to DCL_TABLES ($ set command ...) which collides. It
    is not one of the few abbreviations (such as "r" for "run") which are
    always guaranteed to work. However it is commonly used both here in
    c.o.v and in DEC/Compaq/HP-provided command procedures. There is no
    warning if you define a colliding command. If the colliding command
    is in fact "MC_FOO", it is really, really hard to find and
    eliminate/rename to something that doesn't collide with an existing
    command. Been there, got the T-shirt and absolutely no thanks from
    the person who defined the colliding command (system-wide) and broke
    AUTOGEN among other things.

    Please *DON'T* abbreviate DCL commands to less than 4 characters!

    > MCR x can be taken as short for "run sys$system:x", but unlike the
    > run command, it allows command parameters. A path can be given to
    > override the default of sys$system:.

    --
    John

  13. Re: change password on node 1 from node 2

    In article <7dd80f60804140609i64eb290fta85b0ebbd6c59e7e@mail.g mail.com>, "Ken Robinson" writes:
    > On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 9:55 AM, Bob Koehler
    > wrote (in part):
    >> I'm saying I used to run heterogeneous clusters and they are no
    >> longer supported. But I ran them just fine long after they were
    >> supported.

    > Please cite the current support documents that state the above. AFAIK,
    > heterogeneous clusters have always been supported.

    Well, to start with there is the VMS SPD which lists supported
    configurations (http://h18000.www1.hp.com/info/SP2501/SP2501PF.PDF):

    "OpenVMS Cluster software implements a single-security environment
    within a cluster configuration."

    And then there is the VMScluster SPD
    (http://h18000.www1.hp.com/info/SP2978/SP2978PF.PDF):

    "Standard OpenVMS system management and security features work in
    a clusterwide manner so that the entire OpenVMS Cluster system
    operates as a single security and management domain."

  14. Re: change password on node 1 from node 2

    In article <20080414110806.GA23337@mech-aslap33.men.bris.ac.uk>, Anton Shterenlikht writes:

    > Are you saying a cluster with "multiple UAFs to enable node-specific quotas"
    > (section 5.1 Shareable Resources from OpenVMS Cluster Systems, June 2002)
    > is unsupported?

    Can't find that document on the HP VMS web site, nor via Google
    search.

  15. Re: change password on node 1 from node 2

    John Santos wrote:
    > In article <5dvEfgz3yRpz@eisner.encompasserve.org>,
    > koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org says...

    >>> mc is not a DCL command, is it? I can't find any info on mc.

    >> MC is the unique abreviation that selects the MCR command. MCR was
    >> the primary command langauge on RSX-11M/M+ as was once a supported
    >> command language on VMS.
    >>

    > "MC" is *NOT* a unique abbreviation for "MCR", at least not if you've
    > added something to DCL_TABLES ($ set command ...) which collides. It
    > is not one of the few abbreviations (such as "r" for "run") which are
    > always guaranteed to work. However it is commonly used both here in
    > c.o.v and in DEC/Compaq/HP-provided command procedures. There is no
    > warning if you define a colliding command. If the colliding command
    > is in fact "MC_FOO", it is really, really hard to find and
    > eliminate/rename to something that doesn't collide with an existing
    > command. Been there, got the T-shirt and absolutely no thanks from
    > the person who defined the colliding command (system-wide) and broke
    > AUTOGEN among other things.
    >
    > Please *DON'T* abbreviate DCL commands to less than 4 characters!

    Please DO spell it out in full when you are writing a command procedure.
    DCL is very readable when written that way and even a complete novice
    can get a good idea of what's going on.

    Remember, it not only has to be executed by the computer but it must
    also be understood by those who will have to maintain it.

  16. Re: change password on node 1 from node 2

    Ken Robinson wrote:

    > Those say nothing about heterogeneous clusters not being supported.

    My cluster remained heterogenous for a while. One caveat that I had not
    expected:

    if the queue manager runs on node A. You submit a job on node B to run
    on a node B queue. If the username used on Node B does not exist on Node
    A, the job will fail because the queue manager will reject the job due
    to invalid username from its point of view.

  17. Re: change password on node 1 from node 2

    On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 01:08:41PM -0500, Bob Koehler wrote:
    > In article <20080414110806.GA23337@mech-aslap33.men.bris.ac.uk>, Anton Shterenlikht writes:
    > >
    > > Are you saying a cluster with "multiple UAFs to enable node-specific quotas"
    > > (section 5.1 Shareable Resources from OpenVMS Cluster Systems, June 2002)
    > > is unsupported?

    > Can't find that document on the HP VMS web site, nor via Google
    > search.

    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/731FIN...tml#startup_ch

    see the table in section 5.1.

    --
    Anton Shterenlikht
    Room 2.6, Queen's Building
    Mech Eng Dept
    Bristol University
    University Walk, Bristol BS8 1TR, UK
    Tel: +44 (0)117 928 8233
    Fax: +44 (0)117 929 4423

  18. Re: node and port alloclass, cannot add a node to the cluster

    On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 12:33:45PM +0100, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
    > On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 10:46:26AM -0700, BaxterD@tessco.com wrote:
    > > On Sep 7 2007, 11:50am, Anton Shterenlikht
    > > wrote:
    > > "%CNXMAN, Now a VMScluster member -- system OKAPI"
    > >
    > > This implies to me, that LLAMA is booting from the wrong root, i.e.
    > > that the BOOT_OSFLAGS is incorrectly set at the console level on
    > > LLAMA.
    > >
    > > If LLAMA is booting from SYS0 root, BOOT_OSFLAGS should be 0,0
    > > If LLAMA is booting from SYS1 root, BOOT_OSFLAGS should be 1,0
    > > If LLAMA is booting from SYS2 root, BOOT_OSFLAGS should be 2,0
    > >
    > > etc, etc.
    > >
    > > I assume that OKAPI is on SYS0, since it is the original Alpha
    > > node. If LLAMA boots with boot flags set to 0,0 it will try to
    > > come
    > > up as OKAPI, which is a problem since OKAPI is already up.
    > >
    > > %CNXMAN, Quorum lost, blocking activity
    > >
    > > Dave.
    > >

    > Dave, many thanks. It's been a while, but I still haven't sorted this out.
    > I'll give this a go now.

    Dave, yes, that was my problem indeed. I've a 3node cluster now.

    many thanks
    anton