How can I connect to a database on Unix from OpenVMS? - VMS

This is a discussion on How can I connect to a database on Unix from OpenVMS? - VMS ; Hi, I have a program on OpenVMS that needs to get data from a database on Unix (Ingres is the db.) Any ideas on how to do this? Thanks for any help....

  1. How can I connect to a database on Unix from OpenVMS?

    Hi, I have a program on OpenVMS that needs to get data from a database
    on Unix (Ingres is the db.) Any ideas on how to do this? Thanks for
    any help.

  2. Re: How can I connect to a database on Unix from OpenVMS?

    On Sep 7, 7:16 am, jmDesktop wrote:
    > Hi, I have a program on OpenVMS that needs to get data from a database
    > on Unix (Ingres is the db.) Any ideas on how to do this? Thanks for
    > any help.

    Ingres 9.0.4 is available on OpenVMS Alpha platform. I would presume
    it includes client connectivity tools to any Ingres DB platform.
    If you are looking for the Itanium platform, contact ingres for
    information and post your results here.

    See ingres web site at www . ingres . com. Since Ingres is open
    source, it's free.

    BOL
    Van

  3. Re: How can I connect to a database on Unix from OpenVMS?

    In article <1189163767.379111.253820@o80g2000hse.googlegroups. com>, jmDesktop writes:

    > Hi, I have a program on OpenVMS that needs to get data from a database
    > on Unix (Ingres is the db.) Any ideas on how to do this? Thanks for
    > any help.

    Yep. Millions of them. Maybe you can narrow them down?

  4. Re: How can I connect to a database on Unix from OpenVMS?

    vancouvercancun@yahoo.ca wrote:
    > On Sep 7, 7:16 am, jmDesktop wrote:
    >> Hi, I have a program on OpenVMS that needs to get data from a database
    >> on Unix (Ingres is the db.) Any ideas on how to do this? Thanks for
    >> any help.

    > Ingres 9.0.4 is available on OpenVMS Alpha platform. I would presume
    > it includes client connectivity tools to any Ingres DB platform.
    > If you are looking for the Itanium platform, contact ingres for
    > information and post your results here.
    >
    > See ingres web site at www . ingres . com. Since Ingres is open
    > source, it's free.
    >
    > BOL
    > Van

    And usual (at least for teh many databases I'v looked at) the
    client connectivity part is separataly installable. No need to
    install the full Ingres distro, I'd guess. Like installing the
    SQL*net client part of Oracle classic. Or SQL/Services client
    API's for Rdb...

    Jan-Erik.

+ Reply to Thread