X windows display extensions question - VMS

This is a discussion on X windows display extensions question - VMS ; OK, I run DECW$UTILS:XDPYINFO on my alpha, and it tells me my Alpha'S DECW$SERVER has some 18 extensions. From my MAC, I SSH into the alpha, run the same XDPYINFO utility and it tells me that my MAC's X server ...

  1. X windows display extensions question

    OK, I run DECW$UTILS:XDPYINFO on my alpha, and it tells me my Alpha'S
    DECW$SERVER has some 18 extensions.

    From my MAC, I SSH into the alpha, run the same XDPYINFO utility and it
    tells me that my MAC's X server display has 3 extensions
    BIG-REQUESTS
    XC-MISC
    LBX

    Then, I run xdpyinfo on the mac itself, (with display to the mac), and
    it shows 26 entensions.

    number of extensions: 26
    Apple-DRI
    Apple-WM
    BIG-REQUESTS
    DEC-XTRAP
    DOUBLE-BUFFER
    Extended-Visual-Information
    FontCache
    GLX
    LBX
    MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
    MIT-SHM
    MIT-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD
    RECORD
    RENDER
    SECURITY
    SGI-GLX
    SHAPE
    SYNC
    TOG-CUP
    X-Resource
    XC-APPGROUP
    XC-MISC
    XFree86-Bigfont
    XINERAMA
    XTEST
    XVideo

    -------------------------

    In theory, is there a reason why DECW$UTILS:XDPYINFO.EXE would report
    only 3 extensions on the MAC's display (via SSH) while
    bin/usr/X11R6/bin/xdpyinfo on the MAC displays 26 extensions ?

    (Haven't yet figured a way to get the mac to accept normal X connections
    without the overhead of SSH).

  2. Re: X windows display extensions question

    On 09/06/07 02:13, JF Mezei wrote:
    > OK, I run DECW$UTILS:XDPYINFO on my alpha, and it tells me my Alpha'S
    > DECW$SERVER has some 18 extensions.
    >
    > From my MAC, I SSH into the alpha, run the same XDPYINFO utility and it
    > tells me that my MAC's X server display has 3 extensions
    > BIG-REQUESTS
    > XC-MISC
    > LBX
    >

    > Then, I run xdpyinfo on the mac itself, (with display to the mac), and
    > it shows 26 entensions.
    >
    > number of extensions: 26
    > Apple-DRI
    > Apple-WM
    > BIG-REQUESTS
    > DEC-XTRAP
    > DOUBLE-BUFFER
    > Extended-Visual-Information
    > FontCache
    > GLX
    > LBX
    > MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
    > MIT-SHM
    > MIT-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD
    > RECORD
    > RENDER
    > SECURITY
    > SGI-GLX
    > SHAPE
    > SYNC
    > TOG-CUP
    > X-Resource
    > XC-APPGROUP
    > XC-MISC
    > XFree86-Bigfont
    > XINERAMA
    > XTEST
    > XVideo
    >

    > -------------------------
    >
    > In theory, is there a reason why DECW$UTILS:XDPYINFO.EXE would report
    > only 3 extensions on the MAC's display (via SSH) while
    > bin/usr/X11R6/bin/xdpyinfo on the MAC displays 26 extensions ?

    What version of X11 is your DECwindows?

    If it's an old version that doesn't understand modern extensions, I
    can understand why it wouldn't have XFree86-Bigfont, XINERAMA,
    XTEST, XVideo, RENDER, FontCache. The client not being on a Mac
    would be why it doesn't have Apple-DRI & Apple-WM.

    That's 8 extentions.

    26 - 8 = 18.

    18 - 3 = 15

    My question would be: where did the other*15* extensions go?

    I can answer one of them in that DOUBLE-BUFFER is probably useless
    when X is running over a real network (as opposed to internal sockets).

    That leaves 14.

    > (Haven't yet figured a way to get the mac to accept normal X connections
    > without the overhead of SSH).

    Good. It's more secure that way. ssh over Fast Ethernet on a
    switch shouldn't cause any slowdowns, though.

    --
    Ron Johnson, Jr.
    Jefferson LA USA

  3. Re: X windows display extensions question

    On Sep 6, 2:13 am, JF Mezei wrote:
    > OK, I run DECW$UTILS:XDPYINFO on my alpha, and it tells me my Alpha'S
    > DECW$SERVER has some 18 extensions.
    >
    > From my MAC, I SSH into the alpha, run the same XDPYINFO utility and it
    > tells me that my MAC's X server display has 3 extensions
    > BIG-REQUESTS
    > XC-MISC
    > LBX
    > [...]

    I don't know what you're doing. Around here, I just "xhost
    +whatever", Telnet
    into my Alpha, SET DISPLAY appropriately, and it looks normal, and
    acts
    accordingly:

    ALP $ show display

    Device: WSA67: [super]
    Node: 207.90.xxx.xxx
    Transport: TCPIP
    Server: 1
    Screen: 0

    I'm away from home, so the IP address is the local DSL router, and
    it's
    "Server: 1" because the router sends port 6001 traffic to port 6000 on
    the
    Mac (MAC being "Media Access Control", not Macintosh).

    ALP $ show symbol xdpyinfo
    XDPYINFO == "$decw$utils:xdpyinfo"

    ALP $ xdpyinfo
    name of display: _WSA67:
    version number: 11.0
    vendor string: The XFree86 Project, Inc
    vendor release number: 40300000
    [...]
    number of extensions: 28
    XINERAMA
    Apple-DRI
    Apple-WM
    SHAPE
    MIT-SHM
    Extended-Visual-Information
    XTEST
    BIG-REQUESTS
    MIT-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD
    DEC-XTRAP
    MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
    XVideo
    SYNC
    XKEYBOARD
    XC-MISC
    RECORD
    LBX
    DOUBLE-BUFFER
    XC-APPGROUP
    SECURITY
    TOG-CUP
    DPMS
    FontCache
    XFree86-Bigfont
    GLX
    SGI-GLX
    RENDER
    X-Resource
    default screen number: 0
    number of screens: 1
    [...]

    On the Mac:

    Apple3:~ sms$ uname -a
    Darwin Apple3.local 7.9.0 Darwin Kernel Version 7.9.0: Wed Mar 30
    20:11:17 PST 2005; root:xnu/xnu-517.12.7.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC Power
    Macintosh powerpc

    That is, 10.3.9 (on a PowerPC G3).

    > (Haven't yet figured a way to get the mac to accept normal X connections
    > without the overhead of SSH).

    I haven't figured out what you've tried, or what, exactly, happened
    when you
    tried it.

  4. Re: X windows display extensions question

    "JF Mezei" wrote in message
    > OK, I run DECW$UTILS:XDPYINFO on my alpha, and it tells me my Alpha'S
    > DECW$SERVER has some 18 extensions.
    >
    > From my MAC, I SSH into the alpha, run the same XDPYINFO utility and it
    > tells me that my MAC's X server display has 3 extensions
    > BIG-REQUESTS
    > XC-MISC
    > LBX
    >

    > Then, I run xdpyinfo on the mac itself, (with display to the mac), and it
    > shows 26 entensions.

    It is something in the MAC. All xdpyinfo does is a XListExtensions to the
    server and print the response from the server. The source is in the same
    place as the executable. Perhaps the MAC doesn't export all extensions to
    non-local clients. I have no idea. Ask Apple.

  5. Re: X windows display extensions question

    In article , "FredK" writes:

    >"JF Mezei" wrote in message
    >> OK, I run DECW$UTILS:XDPYINFO on my alpha, and it tells me my Alpha'S
    >> DECW$SERVER has some 18 extensions.
    >>
    >> From my MAC, I SSH into the alpha, run the same XDPYINFO utility and it
    >> tells me that my MAC's X server display has 3 extensions
    >> BIG-REQUESTS
    >> XC-MISC
    >> LBX
    >>

    >> Then, I run xdpyinfo on the mac itself, (with display to the mac), and it
    >> shows 26 entensions.
    >>

    >It is something in the MAC. All xdpyinfo does is a XListExtensions to the
    >server and print the response from the server. The source is in the same
    >place as the executable. Perhaps the MAC doesn't export all extensions to
    >non-local clients. I have no idea. Ask Apple.

    Hmm. My Mac shows only 15 extensions:

    number of extensions: 12
    BIG-REQUESTS
    Extended-Visual-Information
    GLX
    Multi-Buffering
    RECORD
    SHAPE
    SYNC
    ServerManagementExtension
    TOG-CUP
    XC-MISC
    XIE
    XTEST

    I'm curious, what extension do you see in excess of those listed above?

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  6. Re: X windows display extensions question

    I don't know about the Mac, but I ran the same test using Hummingbird
    Exceed on an XP machine with all Exceed X extensions enabled and all
    of them were reported by xdpyinfo. Maybe the Mac has a setting
    limiting extension availability via some setting?

    VMS 7.3-2 (w/ Exceed X-server)

    $ xdpyinfo
    XTEST
    HCLxperf
    SHAPE
    SYNC
    HCLMISC
    XC-MISC
    BIG-REQUESTS
    DOUBLE-BUFFER
    MIT-SHM
    RECORD
    XVideo
    XKEYBOARD
    XInputExtension
    SECURITY
    XC-APPGROUP
    Extended-Visual-Information
    TOG-CUP
    XFIXES
    XEVIE
    Composite
    DAMAGE
    RANDR
    X-Resource
    XINERAMA

    Bobby

  7. Re: X windows display extensions question

    Ron Johnson wrote:
    > What version of X11 is your DECwindows?

    Does this matter ? Since in both cases, decwindows X server was not
    involved (the display was targetted at the MAC), the version shouldn't
    matter , should it ?

    Wouldn't the X-server/terminal simply report to the client application
    what extensions it has available ? An application on a VAX may not know
    what to do with some Apple-specific extension, but does it hurt it to
    know that such extension exists ?

    > Good. It's more secure that way. ssh over Fast Ethernet on a
    > switch shouldn't cause any slowdowns, though.

    It is a pain to not be able to do a set display from the VMS box to
    start apps targetted at the apple display. And on my lan, there is
    really nobody snooping my traffic, and SSH is truly overkill.

  8. Re: X windows display extensions question

    "JF Mezei" wrote in message
    > Ron Johnson wrote:
    >> What version of X11 is your DECwindows?

    > Does this matter ? Since in both cases, decwindows X server was not
    > involved (the display was targetted at the MAC), the version shouldn't
    > matter , should it ?
    >
    > Wouldn't the X-server/terminal simply report to the client application
    > what extensions it has available ? An application on a VAX may not know
    > what to do with some Apple-specific extension, but does it hurt it to know
    > that such extension exists ?

    Yup. All xdpyinfo does is ask the server to tell it the extensions it
    supports. To actually use the extension would require the client-side
    library that knows how to talk to the extension.

    It may be that Apple decided not to export the extensions over a SSH
    connection.

    In any case, this is a question for APPLE.

  9. Re: X windows display extensions question

    FredK wrote:
    > It may be that Apple decided not to export the extensions over a SSH
    > connection.
    >
    > In any case, this is a question for APPLE.

    Well, I doubt I can get to ask questions to Apple ... Besides, this is a
    XFree86 implementation and I am not even sure Apple would know, they
    probably just compiled the open source code...

    I was just curious if it was normal for an X-server to give a different
    list of extensions depending on who was asking.

    Does the X server really know or care that a connection is via SSH ?

  10. Re: X windows display extensions question

    "JF Mezei" wrote in message
    > FredK wrote:
    >> It may be that Apple decided not to export the extensions over a SSH
    >> connection.
    >>
    >> In any case, this is a question for APPLE.

    > Well, I doubt I can get to ask questions to Apple ... Besides, this is a
    > XFree86 implementation and I am not even sure Apple would know, they
    > probably just compiled the open source code...
    >
    > I was just curious if it was normal for an X-server to give a different
    > list of extensions depending on who was asking.
    >
    > Does the X server really know or care that a connection is via SSH ?

    Got no idea - the XFree86 sources are free and available...

+ Reply to Thread