USB Modem - VMS

This is a discussion on USB Modem - VMS ; Chaps, I am trying to source compatible USB modems which I can use with an rx2660 running I64 V8.3 Ideally I want to have a bunch of these hanging from a USB hub and have UCM automagically create TXAn ports. ...

  1. USB Modem

    Chaps,

    I am trying to source compatible USB modems which I can use with an
    rx2660 running I64 V8.3

    Ideally I want to have a bunch of these hanging from a USB hub and
    have UCM automagically create TXAn ports.

    Therefore I am looking for compatible modem and hub hardware.

    Many thanks in advance.

  2. Re: USB Modem

    "issinoho" wrote in message
    news:1188897843.839785.30480@r34g2000hsd.googlegro ups.com...
    > Chaps,
    >
    > I am trying to source compatible USB modems which I can use with an
    > rx2660 running I64 V8.3
    >
    > Ideally I want to have a bunch of these hanging from a USB hub and
    > have UCM automagically create TXAn ports.
    >
    > Therefore I am looking for compatible modem and hub hardware.
    >
    > Many thanks in advance.

    The problem with USB Modems is that they tend to be unique.

    We do have (and ship) an *unsupported* modem driver for an old Compaq 56k
    fax/modem (p/n: 322050-001 - and a quick Google search shows that they can
    be found - even if the picture is a PCI card :-). But we have not written
    any new modem drivers and do not currently support one - mostly because
    writing new drivers is demand driven.

    If you need a fully supported device, contact Leo Demers at HP dot com who
    is the business manager that collects requests for device support.

  3. Re: USB Modem

    On Sep 4, 1:37 pm, "FredK" wrote:
    > "issinoho" wrote in message
    >
    > news:1188897843.839785.30480@r34g2000hsd.googlegro ups.com...
    >
    > > Chaps,

    > > I am trying to source compatible USB modems which I can use with an
    > > rx2660 running I64 V8.3

    > > Ideally I want to have a bunch of these hanging from a USB hub and
    > > have UCM automagically create TXAn ports.

    > > Therefore I am looking for compatible modem and hub hardware.

    > > Many thanks in advance.

    > The problem with USB Modems is that they tend to be unique.
    >
    > We do have (and ship) an *unsupported* modem driver for an old Compaq 56k
    > fax/modem (p/n: 322050-001 - and a quick Google search shows that they can
    > be found - even if the picture is a PCI card :-). But we have not written
    > any new modem drivers and do not currently support one - mostly because
    > writing new drivers is demand driven.
    >
    > If you need a fully supported device, contact Leo Demers at HP dot com who
    > is the business manager that collects requests for device support.

    Fred,

    My local HP supplier has offered this model,
    http://www.dynamode.net/details.asp?id=151

    Would you expect it to have any chance of working?

  4. Re: USB Modem

    "issinoho" wrote in message
    news:1188911901.359863.249870@50g2000hsm.googlegro ups.com...
    > On Sep 4, 1:37 pm, "FredK" wrote:
    >> "issinoho" wrote in message
    >>
    >> news:1188897843.839785.30480@r34g2000hsd.googlegro ups.com...
    >>
    >> > Chaps,

    >> > I am trying to source compatible USB modems which I can use with an
    >> > rx2660 running I64 V8.3

    >> > Ideally I want to have a bunch of these hanging from a USB hub and
    >> > have UCM automagically create TXAn ports.

    >> > Therefore I am looking for compatible modem and hub hardware.

    >> > Many thanks in advance.

    >> The problem with USB Modems is that they tend to be unique.
    >>
    >> We do have (and ship) an *unsupported* modem driver for an old Compaq 56k
    >> fax/modem (p/n: 322050-001 - and a quick Google search shows that they
    >> can
    >> be found - even if the picture is a PCI card :-). But we have not
    >> written
    >> any new modem drivers and do not currently support one - mostly because
    >> writing new drivers is demand driven.
    >>
    >> If you need a fully supported device, contact Leo Demers at HP dot com
    >> who
    >> is the business manager that collects requests for device support.

    > Fred,
    >
    > My local HP supplier has offered this model,
    > http://www.dynamode.net/details.asp?id=151
    >
    > Would you expect it to have any chance of working?

    I looked at the page, and can't tell. I poked around and my "guess" is yes
    based on the claim that it is Linux plug&play compatible. Heck, it looks to
    be < $40US on the web. So the worst that can happen is it doesn't work.

    According to the driver writer, the driver is compliant with the USB
    comunications spec for modems. At the time the Compaq modem was one of the
    few that complied (USR did as well - I don't have the model number).

    In theory, look for a modem that advertises itself as being "CDC ACM"
    compliant and also says "AT command set".

    For example:

    http://www.radi.com/modular55.htm says both of the right things... but we
    have never tried it.

    But many devices don't explicitly say anything about one or the other. I
    think a clue might be if the device claims Linux plug&play support without
    requiring a unique driver download (linux has support for the same thing).

    When you plug the device in, you "may" need to create an entry in
    SYS$USER_CONFIG.DAT - but it might "just work". If it doesn't configure as
    TXA0 then search SYS$CONFIG.DAT for "modem" and you will find the Compaq and
    USR examples. UCM SHOW EVENT/PRIOR=ALL will show you the information for
    the modem itself.

    Note that we do not "officially" support the modem devices, because we have
    not done extensive qualification.

  5. Re: USB Modem

    FredK wrote:
    > [snip]
    > Note that we do not "officially" support the modem devices, because we have
    > not done extensive qualification.

    O.K. I'll bite - why does a modem need a driver beyond the usual terminal
    driver? As long as it appears to be a standards-compliant async. serial device,
    what more is needed?

    Interacting with "AT" command-set modems is best left to application, is it not?

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  6. Re: USB Modem

    "David J Dachtera" wrote in message
    > FredK wrote:
    >> [snip]
    >> Note that we do not "officially" support the modem devices, because we
    >> have
    >> not done extensive qualification.

    > O.K. I'll bite - why does a modem need a driver beyond the usual terminal
    > driver? As long as it appears to be a standards-compliant async. serial
    > device,
    > what more is needed?
    >
    > Interacting with "AT" command-set modems is best left to application, is
    > it not?

    OK. I'll bite. What is a "standards-compliant async serial device"?

    Answer: The only "standard" is what it talks out of the serial wires, not
    the interface itself.

    A "USB Modem" isn't a serial wire connected to an external modem, it is a
    device that presents an interface to the system like a serial port, but
    talks directly to a modem connection. So, it needs a classic serial port
    driver. The CDC-ACM is the "standardized" interface model designed by the
    USB folks.

    Why do we need to know about "AT command-set" - this has more to do with
    configuration and application assumptions than with the actual application
    data itself. The magic conditions for the VMS CDC-ACM compliant driver to
    be loaded are:

    Interface Class: Communications Device (CDC)
    Interface Subclass: Abstract Communications Model (ACM)
    Interface Protocol: Common AT Command Set

    We will also load the driver for Protocol = None and assume the AT command
    set is available. So applications that talk to the modem can assume AT
    commands. We provide no way to differentiate between modems with some
    "other" command set. I don't believe that the driver itself sends any AT
    commands (but I didn't write the driver).

  7. Re: USB Modem

    FredK wrote:

    > "David J Dachtera" wrote in message
    > > FredK wrote:
    > >> [snip]
    > >> Note that we do not "officially" support the modem devices, because we
    > >> have
    > >> not done extensive qualification.

    > > O.K. I'll bite - why does a modem need a driver beyond the usual terminal
    > > driver? As long as it appears to be a standards-compliant async. serial
    > > device,
    > > what more is needed?
    > >
    > > Interacting with "AT" command-set modems is best left to application, is
    > > it not?
    > >

    > OK. I'll bite. What is a "standards-compliant async serial device"?

    See the source code for SYS$TTDRIVER

    > Answer: The only "standard" is what it talks out of the serial wires, not
    > the interface itself.

    Well, yes and no. What it looks like to hardware is one thing. What it looks
    like to the software layers above that is something else entirely.

    > A "USB Modem" isn't a serial wire connected to an external modem,

    ....but for all practical purposes, should appear as such to the application. A
    USB to async. serial adapter could just as easily have a USR Speedster modem
    connected to it as a VT terminal. That's all it needs to look like.

    The fact that my app. needs to converse with it in "AT"-ese is entirely
    incidental.

    We keep trying to overcomplicate everything, then we wonder why we're starting
    to need a 52-hour day.

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems
    http://www.djesys.com/

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  8. Re: USB Modem

    On 09/05/07 20:49, David J Dachtera wrote:
    [snip]

    > We keep trying to overcomplicate everything, then we wonder why
    > we're starting to need a 52-hour day.

    Amen, brother.

    My father (he'd worship Bill Gates if he could) was just commenting
    this evening about how fast Win98 shuts down compared to XP. I, of
    course, piped up about complexity.

    --
    Ron Johnson, Jr.
    Jefferson LA USA

  9. Re: USB Modem

    > FredK wrote:

    >> OK. I'll bite. What is a "standards-compliant async serial device"?

    > See the source code for SYS$TTDRIVER

    TTDRIVER is just the class driver. A *port* driver for it must support a
    small subset of the actual port/class interface. So it is unclear to me
    what TTDRIVER has to do with the price of tea in China. The device itself
    is handled by the port drivers - and trust me - there is no "standard" for
    the interface other than what comes out the connector on the outside of the
    box.

    >> Answer: The only "standard" is what it talks out of the serial wires,
    >> not
    >> the interface itself.

    > Well, yes and no. What it looks like to hardware is one thing. What it
    > looks
    > like to the software layers above that is something else entirely.

    What does this have to do with the need for a USB driver to talk to the USB
    modem? Do you think "magic happens"? This entire thread was about the fact
    that USB modems need a special driver and that not all USB modems present
    the same interface to the system, and that the VMS USB modem driver is
    written to a specific standard - and to tell the OP what to look for.

    >> A "USB Modem" isn't a serial wire connected to an external modem,

    > ...but for all practical purposes, should appear as such to the
    > application. A
    > USB to async. serial adapter could just as easily have a USR Speedster
    > modem
    > connected to it as a VT terminal. That's all it needs to look like.

    Then it isn't a USB modem. Heck, he could just by a Digi serial dongle and
    connect it to an external modem. Or someone could build something that
    resembles what you suggest. But who cares? We have code for a specific
    type of USB modem.

    > The fact that my app. needs to converse with it in "AT"-ese is entirely
    > incidental.

    So? My only point here is that what the driver writers assumptions were and
    are. When YC (TXA*) is configured, your application can assume by default
    that the AT command set is available. If you manage to find a CDC-ACM modem
    that doesn't use the AT set, and manage to configure it - you and your
    application assumptions are on your own.

    > We keep trying to overcomplicate everything, then we wonder why we're
    > starting
    > to need a 52-hour day.

    Seems that you are overcomplicating this.

    The OP wanted to find a USB modem that works on VMS. I told him an
    (unsupported) driver ships on the system that supports a specific type of
    modem, what modem was tested, and what to look for that matches the standard
    which we tested.

    You want to quibble about the AT command set being needed, and suggest that
    serial devices are all standard anyway.

  10. Re: USB Modem

    "FredK" wrote in message

    > "David J Dachtera" wrote in message
    >> FredK wrote:

    >>> OK. I'll bite. What is a "standards-compliant async serial device"?

    >> See the source code for SYS$TTDRIVER

    Let me suggest that we are talking at cross purposes. Here is a (slightly
    shortened for clarity) diagram:

    Telephone wire ----> Device ----> Modem/Serial Port driver ---->
    TTDRIVER ---> Application

    These parts are "standard":

    Telephone wire ----> Device
    TTDRIVER ---> Application

    as is the driver software interface between: Modem/Serial Port
    driver ----> TTDRIVER (bearing in mind that there is no device that
    supports all port/class interfaces - only a small subset is needed or
    generally implemented).

    THIS connection:

    Device ----> Modem/Serial Port driver

    Is unique to the device and it's driver.

    That is why you need a port driver. There *is* a standard for USB Modems
    CDC ACM - not ALL USB modems follow this standard. Further, the USB
    specification for this model provided a way to determine the protocol - in
    this case - the common AT command set. Our driver and our configuration
    record allows a device that uses the AT command set *or* that specifies NO
    Protocol (assumed to be AT) to be configured. While we can know the
    protocol in the USM modem driver, I do not believe that the port/class
    interface or TTDRIVER has a means to pass this information to the
    application. If a modem is configured by VMS - it can then be assumed by
    the application to support the AT command set - and this is the only
    combination we have done any testing of.

    Is it *possible* to find a USB Modem that is CDC ACM compatible that does
    not support the AT command set? Possibly. But we aren't looking to find
    one, and don't really care to figure that out - we don't officially
    test/qualify any USB Modem right now. "Might" it work? Sure, but it
    probably requires a new configuration record.

    Does it matter to the OP? My assumption is he wants to find something that
    will "plug&play".

+ Reply to Thread