DCL command length and CSWS - VMS

This is a discussion on DCL command length and CSWS - VMS ; DCL command length was supposed to be extended to 8192 character after 7.3-2, but on my Alpha 8.2 system with CSWS 2.1-1 it appears to still be 1024 bytes. Query strings over that length are truncated. Is there some limitation ...

  1. DCL command length and CSWS

    DCL command length was supposed to be extended to 8192 character after 7.3-2,
    but on my Alpha 8.2 system with CSWS 2.1-1 it appears to still be 1024 bytes.
    Query strings over that length are truncated. Is there some limitation with GET
    that I am running into?

  2. Re: DCL command length and CSWS

    Stephen Eickhoff wrote:
    > DCL command length was supposed to be extended to 8192 character after 7.3-2,
    > but on my Alpha 8.2 system with CSWS 2.1-1 it appears to still be 1024 bytes.

    Even if DCL stores up to 8192 characters, the application, when calling
    lib$get_foreign or when using the CLI parsing routines must still
    provide a buffer long enough to get that 8192. If the app provides a
    descriptor with only 1024 bytes of storage, the routine will only fill
    those bytes and truncate rest of command. This is a classic example of
    why descriptors are good since they avoid buffer overrun problems.

+ Reply to Thread