RE: VMS License Plates - VMS

This is a discussion on RE: VMS License Plates - VMS ; -----Original Message----- From: Rich Jordan [mailto:jordan@ccs4vms.com] Sent: Friday, August 31, 2007 11:26 AM To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com Subject: Re: VMS License Plates On Aug 30, 9:30 pm, David J Dachtera wrote: > Sue wrote: > > > Dear Newsgroup, > > > ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. RE: VMS License Plates

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Rich Jordan [mailto:jordan@ccs4vms.com]
    Sent: Friday, August 31, 2007 11:26 AM
    To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com
    Subject: Re: VMS License Plates

    wrote:
    > Sue wrote:
    >
    > > Dear Newsgroup,

    > > If you remember we have done VMS License plates over the years. The
    > > last one we did had "When downtime is NOT an option"

    > > I was thinking about doing them again for our 30th. Let me know what
    > > you think.

    > > Warm Regards,
    > > Sue

    > VMS: Kevin Mitnick's Waterloo
    >
    > ...and if he takes it as a challenge, we'll be able to use this headline
    > afterward:
    >
    > VMS BEATS RECIDIVIST HACKER AGAIN
    >
    > How 'bout:
    > VMS: A Hacker's Worst Nightmare
    >
    > Was VMS the only o.s. ever banned from the DEFCON Hacker's convention? If

    so:
    > VMS: Only OS ever banned from DEFCON
    >
    > VMS: Even Survived 21st Century Corporate America
    >
    > The VMS Muchachos:
    > "We don't need no stinkin' EULA!"

    "Experience Extended Uptimes with VMS"

    VMS - no hack, no patch, no problem!

    VMS - many maintained by a few.

    VMS - never so many maintained by so few

    VMS - Virtually Maintains Self!

  2. RE: VMS License Plates

    Of course there are some of us who will display a license plate
    (or other trinket) that says VMS but not one that says OpenVMS.

    I doubt there are any of the reverse persuasion.

    I suppose that means a chance to lower the production cost by adding
    three letters.

  3. Re: VMS License Plates

    On Aug 31, 12:20 pm, Kilgal...@SpamCop.net (Larry Kilgallen) wrote:
    > Of course there are some of us who will display a license plate
    > (or other trinket) that says VMS but not one that says OpenVMS.
    >
    > I doubt there are any of the reverse persuasion.
    >
    > I suppose that means a chance to lower the production cost by adding
    > three letters.

    VMS Vaporize Microsoft S_ _ _
    VMS Veto Microsoft Software
    VMS Voids Microsoft S_ _ _
    VMS Vicious Microsoft Slayer
    VMS Virgin Microsoft Successor
    VMS Vault Microsoft S_ _ _

  4. Re: VMS License Plates

    VMS, the tool you can rely on.

    VMS, the tool you can depend on.

    VMS, you can depend on it.

  5. RE: VMS License Plates

    Well, something to consider about VMS vs. OpenVMS is that there are now other vendor
    products called VMS:

    http://www.networkworld.com/reviews/2002/0204rev.html

    Regards

    Kerry Main
    Senior Consultant
    HP Services Canada
    Voice: 613-592-4660
    Fax: 613-591-4477
    kerryDOTmainAThpDOTcom
    (remove the DOT's and AT)

  6. RE: VMS License Plates

    In article , "Main, Kerry" writes:

> [...]

    Anybody we care about knows what is meant.

    But why should you take advice from someone who cannot count to 4
    (additional letters for "Open") ? :-)

  7. Re: VMS License Plates

    On 08/31/07 21:13, Main, Kerry wrote:
> [...]

    That's a copyright violation if I every heard one.

    --
    Ron Johnson, Jr.
    Jefferson LA USA

  8. Re: VMS License Plates

    In article <8q6Ci.19183$Zk5.16187@newsfe23.lga>, Ron Johnson writes:

    >On 08/31/07 21:13, Main, Kerry wrote:

    How is it a _copyright_ violation? What was said or printed in the
    article that is not "fair use" information possibly from some Cisco
    features documentation?

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  9. Re: VMS License Plates

    Main, Kerry wrote:
    > Well, something to consider about VMS vs. OpenVMS is that there are now other vendor
    > products called VMS:

    And why, may I ask, would the owned of the real VMS allow its trademark
    to lapse and/or be used by someone else ??????

  10. Copyrightability? (was Re: VMS License Plates)

    On 09/01/07 05:48, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
> [...]

    Not violated by NetworkWorld, but by Cisco. Certainly DEC
    copyrighted "VMS".

    But then... can you copyright acronyms?

    Of course, if HP kept VMS in computer people's minds as anything but
    a dead product, Cisco would not have used that acronym...

    --
    Ron Johnson, Jr.
    Jefferson LA USA

  11. Re: Copyrightability? (was Re: VMS License Plates)

    In article , Ron Johnson writes:
    > On 09/01/07 05:48, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    >> In article <8q6Ci.19183$Zk5.16187@newsfe23.lga>, Ron Johnson writes:

    >>> That's a copyright violation if I every heard one.

    >> How is it a _copyright_ violation? What was said or printed in the
    >> article that is not "fair use" information possibly from some Cisco
    >> features documentation?

    > Not violated by NetworkWorld, but by Cisco. Certainly DEC
    > copyrighted "VMS".
    >
    > But then... can you copyright acronyms?

    Names like VMS cannot be copyrighted. They can be Trademarked, at
    which point the question is whether the two VMS's are in the same
    field. It is clear that computers and vacuum cleaners are not the
    same field. The difference between what the two VMS's do is not so
    clear (as to whether they are separate fields or the same one).

    But when DEC switched to "OpenVMS" did they stop protecting their
    "VMS" trademark...

  12. Re: Copyrightability? (was Re: VMS License Plates)

    On Sep 1, 3:11 pm, Ron Johnson wrote:
    > On 09/01/07 05:48, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:

    VMS is a trademark. Here's link to the gov's trademark office and a
    list of active VMS trademarks.

    http://preview.tinyurl.com/2swfv2

    Trademark and Copyright are not the same thing.

  13. Re: Copyrightability? (was Re: VMS License Plates)

    In article , Ron Johnson writes:

    >On 09/01/07 05:48, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:

    It would have been a trademark, not copyright!

    USC 17 discusses Copyright. USC 35 concerns Trademarks.

    >Of course, if HP kept VMS in computer people's minds as anything but
    >a dead product, Cisco would not have used that acronym...

    VMS was a trademark of d|i|g|i|t|a|l. I don't know if it was registered.
    I would think that HP would have acquired all trademarks held originally
    by those that coined them when they acquired the remnants of d|i|g|i|t|a|l
    with the Compaq merger.

    Typically, using a trademark in a situation where is can be diluted is an
    issue of law. Using VMS for another software product could certainly be a
    considered a dilution, whereas using VMS for the Voluntary Milking System
    in the dairy biz may not.

    IANACSFSPOSL, do not take this as legal advice.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  14. Re: Copyrightability? (was Re: VMS License Plates)

    On 09/01/07 15:22, Doug Phillips wrote:
    > On Sep 1, 3:11 pm, Ron Johnson wrote:

    Here's a really interesting one:
    http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield...ate=nhp0hj.4.2

    > Trademark and Copyright are not the same thing.

    I should have known that. Thanks.

    --
    Ron Johnson, Jr.
    Jefferson LA USA

  15. Re: Copyrightability? (was Re: VMS License Plates)

    In article <1188678137.066910.264510@y42g2000hsy.googlegroups. com>, Doug Phillips writes:

    > VMS is a trademark. Here's link to the gov's trademark office and a
    > list of active VMS trademarks.
    >
    > http://preview.tinyurl.com/2swfv2

    That gives me a government page saying:

    This search session has expired. Please start a
    search session again by clicking on the
    TRADEMARK icon, if you wish to continue.

  16. Re: Copyrightability? (was Re: VMS License Plates)

    In article , Ron Johnson writes:

    > Here's a really interesting one:
    > http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield...ate=nhp0hj.4.2

    Yes, it is another:

    This search session has expired. Please start a
    search session again by clicking on the
    TRADEMARK icon, if you wish to continue.

  17. Re: Copyrightability? (was Re: VMS License Plates)

    In article , Ron Johnson writes:
    >On 09/01/07 05:48, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:

    I think you probably meant to refer to the VMS trademark rather than copyright.
    The source code of the operating system or it's documentation are copyrighted
    but the name should be a trademark.

    Unfortunately the owners of VMS decided to rebrand it as OpenVMS and have not
    defended the trademark on the older name ie VMS.

    Having said that I'm not even sure if HP has registered OpenVMS as a trademark.
    Looking at a few of the VMS docs online I can find lots of mention of other
    peoples trademarks but no mention at all of OpenVMS being a registered
    trademark of HP

    eg from

    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/83final/6677/6677PRO.HTML

    "
    Intel and Itanium are registered trademarks of Intel Corporation or its
    subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.

    Java is a US trademark of Sun Microsystems, Inc.

    Oracle is a US registered trademark of Oracle Corporation, Redwood City,
    California.

    OSF and Motif are trademarks of The Open Group in the US and other countries,
    and UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group.

    Microsoft, Windows, Windows NT, and MS Windows are US registered trademarks of
    Microsoft Corporation.

    X/Open is a registered trademark, and the X device is a trademark of X/Open
    Company Ltd. in the UK and other countries.

    "

    David Webb
    Security team leader
    CCSS
    Middlesex University

    >Of course, if HP kept VMS in computer people's minds as anything but
    >a dead product, Cisco would not have used that acronym...
    >
    >--
    >Ron Johnson, Jr.
    >Jefferson LA USA
    >
    >Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day.
    >Hit him with a fish, and he goes away for good!

  18. Re: Copyrightability? (was Re: VMS License Plates)

    In article , Kilgallen@SpamCop.net (Larry Kilgallen) writes:
    >In article , Ron Johnson writes:

    >>> How is it a _copyright_ violation? What was said or printed in the
    >>> article that is not "fair use" information possibly from some Cisco
    >>> features documentation?

    >> Not violated by NetworkWorld, but by Cisco. Certainly DEC
    >> copyrighted "VMS".
    >>
    >> But then... can you copyright acronyms?

    >Names like VMS cannot be copyrighted. They can be Trademarked, at
    >which point the question is whether the two VMS's are in the same
    >field. It is clear that computers and vacuum cleaners are not the
    >same field.

    Though that of course was with respect to VAX rather than VMS.

    David Webb
    Security team leader
    CCSS
    Middlesex University

    >The difference between what the two VMS's do is not so
    >clear (as to whether they are separate fields or the same one).
    >
    >But when DEC switched to "OpenVMS" did they stop protecting their
    >"VMS" trademark...

  19. Re: Copyrightability? (was Re: VMS License Plates)

    Ron Johnson wrote:
    > On 09/01/07 05:48, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:

    Perhaps the OP was referring to a Trademark violation. The law gets a
    little involved; there's the famous case of "nothing sucks like a VAX"
    which was NOT a trademark violation because there was a vanishingly
    small probability that a vacuum cleaner and a computer would be mistaken
    for each other!

    In the course of my job search, I've learned that "VMS" is also "Vehicle
    Management System" which is also not a Trademark violation!

  20. Re: VMS License Plates

    Ron Johnson wrote:

    > On 08/31/07 21:13, Main, Kerry wrote:

    Don't you mean trademark violation there? Assuming there is one on VMS
    since iit became OpenVMS...

    Others that I have come across include Vehicle Management System (cars),
    Vessel Management System (boats) and Voluntary Milking System (moo!)

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast