I have to tell you this - VMS

This is a discussion on I have to tell you this - VMS ; Dear Newsgroup, So you probably know that I like to talk to folks. Anyway, this will be no big deal to you but its really cool to me. So I was talking (well really exchanging email) with this customer this ...

  1. I have to tell you this

    Dear Newsgroup,

    So you probably know that I like to talk to folks. Anyway, this will
    be no big deal to you but its really cool to me. So I was talking
    (well really exchanging email) with this customer this week. He is a
    Sys Admin at a big company and he has one (1) colleague so there is
    two of them (2) and they manage 260 VMS systems. Do you know how cool
    that is. Can you imagine doing that on lesser systems? Brian and Susan
    if you are reading this you are doing an awesome job!

    Have a great weekend everyone.

    Sue

  2. Re: I have to tell you this

    On Aug 30, 8:36 pm, Sue wrote:
    > Dear Newsgroup,
    >
    > So you probably know that I like to talk to folks. Anyway, this will
    > be no big deal to you but its really cool to me. So I was talking
    > (well really exchanging email) with this customer this week. He is a
    > Sys Admin at a big company and he has one (1) colleague so there is
    > two of them (2) and they manage 260 VMS systems. Do you know how cool
    > that is. Can you imagine doing that on lesser systems? Brian and Susan
    > if you are reading this you are doing an awesome job!
    >
    > Have a great weekend everyone.
    >
    > Sue

    This is great news and I'd give my eye teeth to learn the name of
    their organization.

    Neil Rieck
    Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge,
    Ontario, Canada.
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/

  3. Re: I have to tell you this

    In article <1188520594.204299.85830@l22g2000prc.googlegroups.c om>, Sue writes:
    > Dear Newsgroup,
    >
    > So you probably know that I like to talk to folks. Anyway, this will
    > be no big deal to you but its really cool to me. So I was talking
    > (well really exchanging email) with this customer this week. He is a
    > Sys Admin at a big company and he has one (1) colleague so there is
    > two of them (2) and they manage 260 VMS systems. Do you know how cool
    > that is. Can you imagine doing that on lesser systems? Brian and Susan
    > if you are reading this you are doing an awesome job!

    Put that in the advertising!

  4. Re: I have to tell you this

    On Aug 30, 8:36 pm, Sue wrote:
    > Dear Newsgroup,
    >
    > So you probably know that I like to talk to folks. Anyway, this will
    > be no big deal to you but its really cool to me. So I was talking
    > (well really exchanging email) with this customer this week. He is a
    > Sys Admin at a big company and he has one (1) colleague so there is
    > two of them (2) and they manage 260 VMS systems. Do you know how cool
    > that is. Can you imagine doing that on lesser systems? Brian and Susan
    > if you are reading this you are doing an awesome job!
    >
    > Have a great weekend everyone.
    >
    > Sue

    This reminds me of the VAX that was supposedly walled up and was found
    supposedly years later still running!!! Has anyone ever tracked down
    the story on this?

    AEF

  5. Re: I have to tell you this

    AEF was thinking very hard :
    > On Aug 30, 8:36 pm, Sue wrote:
    >> Dear Newsgroup,
    >>
    >> So you probably know that I like to talk to folks. Anyway, this will
    >> be no big deal to you but its really cool to me. So I was talking
    >> (well really exchanging email) with this customer this week. He is a
    >> Sys Admin at a big company and he has one (1) colleague so there is
    >> two of them (2) and they manage 260 VMS systems. Do you know how cool
    >> that is. Can you imagine doing that on lesser systems? Brian and Susan
    >> if you are reading this you are doing an awesome job!
    >>
    >> Have a great weekend everyone.
    >>
    >> Sue

    > This reminds me of the VAX that was supposedly walled up and was found
    > supposedly years later still running!!! Has anyone ever tracked down
    > the story on this?
    >
    > AEF

    Urban legend I think. A colleague of mine reported the same story to
    me a few month ago, excepted that it was a Novell Netware machine...

    --
    Marc Van Dyck

  6. Re: I have to tell you this

    Marc Van Dyck wrote:
    > AEF was thinking very hard :
    >> On Aug 30, 8:36 pm, Sue wrote:
    >>> Dear Newsgroup,
    >>>
    >>> So you probably know that I like to talk to folks. Anyway, this will
    >>> be no big deal to you but its really cool to me. So I was talking
    >>> (well really exchanging email) with this customer this week. He is a
    >>> Sys Admin at a big company and he has one (1) colleague so there is
    >>> two of them (2) and they manage 260 VMS systems. Do you know how cool
    >>> that is. Can you imagine doing that on lesser systems? Brian and Susan
    >>> if you are reading this you are doing an awesome job!
    >>>
    >>> Have a great weekend everyone.
    >>>
    >>> Sue

    >> This reminds me of the VAX that was supposedly walled up and was found
    >> supposedly years later still running!!! Has anyone ever tracked down
    >> the story on this?
    >>
    >> AEF

    > Urban legend I think. A colleague of mine reported the same story to
    > me a few month ago, excepted that it was a Novell Netware machine...

    I've never personally come across a walled up server, but I have seen a
    walled up room in a major office building in Chicago. The only way in was
    though a hole that had to be cut into a wall, or by breaking into a window
    (nobody did that). The room was clearly unused for many years, while all
    the offices around it were. There was nothing apparently wrong with it,
    and nobody could figure out why it was walled up to start with. It was
    about 1000 square feet in size. The location was the Old Colony building,
    9th floor, center of the building along the west side. The weird room was
    opened up in 1999.

  7. Re: I have to tell you this

    Neil Rieck wrote:
    > On Aug 30, 8:36 pm, Sue wrote:
    >> He is a
    >> Sys Admin at a big company and he has one (1) colleague so there is
    >> two of them (2) and they manage 260 VMS systems.

    > This is great news and I'd give my eye teeth to learn the name of
    > their organization.

    While I don't doubt that two people could manage that number of
    VMS systems it's really dumb for the company to run things that way.
    All it would take is a serious car accident when these two are driving
    together one day (to lunch, for instance) and that company would be
    totally screwed.

    Regards,

    David Mathog

  8. Re: I have to tell you this

    In article ,
    David Mathog writes:
    > Neil Rieck wrote:
    >> On Aug 30, 8:36 pm, Sue wrote:
    >>> He is a
    >>> Sys Admin at a big company and he has one (1) colleague so there is
    >>> two of them (2) and they manage 260 VMS systems.

    >> This is great news and I'd give my eye teeth to learn the name of
    >> their organization.

    > While I don't doubt that two people could manage that number of
    > VMS systems

    I do. Unless by "two of them managing 260 VMS systems" you mean
    they actually do nothing and the machines just run themselves.
    I doubt two people would have enough time between them to just
    review the logs at regular intervals.

    > it's really dumb for the company to run things that way.
    > All it would take is a serious car accident when these two are driving
    > together one day (to lunch, for instance) and that company would be
    > totally screwed.

    Yeah, well there's that too. But then, I am a one man shop and the
    powers that be here think that's too many. :-)

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  9. Re: I have to tell you this

    On 09/04/07 12:15, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    > In article ,
    > David Mathog writes:
    >> Neil Rieck wrote:
    >>> This is great news and I'd give my eye teeth to learn the name of
    >>> their organization.

    >> While I don't doubt that two people could manage that number of
    >> VMS systems

    > I do. Unless by "two of them managing 260 VMS systems" you mean
    > they actually do nothing and the machines just run themselves.
    > I doubt two people would have enough time between them to just
    > review the logs at regular intervals.

    That's what Perl was originally designed for.

    --
    Ron Johnson, Jr.
    Jefferson LA USA

  10. Re: I have to tell you this

    In article <5k5i4rF25r06U1@mid.individual.net>, bill@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:
    > In article ,
    > David Mathog writes:
    >>
    >> While I don't doubt that two people could manage that number of
    >> VMS systems

    > I do. Unless by "two of them managing 260 VMS systems" you mean
    > they actually do nothing and the machines just run themselves.

    Two system managers for a cluster of 260 VMS systems, or even if
    broken down into a couple of clusters, isn't the least bit uncommon.

    This isn't UNIX or Windows, its VMS, and reality is different when
    using VMS.

  11. Re: I have to tell you this

    Ron Johnson wrote:
    > On 09/04/07 12:15, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    >
    >>In article ,
    >> David Mathog writes:

    >>>While I don't doubt that two people could manage that number of
    >>>VMS systems

    >>I do. Unless by "two of them managing 260 VMS systems" you mean
    >>they actually do nothing and the machines just run themselves.
    >>I doubt two people would have enough time between them to just
    >>review the logs at regular intervals.

    > That's what Perl was originally designed for.

    Gee! And for years I used SEARCH *.LOG "-E-","-F-"

  12. Re: I have to tell you this

    On 09/04/07 17:09, Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    > Ron Johnson wrote:
    >> On 09/04/07 12:15, Bill Gunshannon wrote:

    >>> I do. Unless by "two of them managing 260 VMS systems" you mean
    >>> they actually do nothing and the machines just run themselves.
    >>> I doubt two people would have enough time between them to just
    >>> review the logs at regular intervals.

    >> That's what Perl was originally designed for.
    >>

    > Gee! And for years I used SEARCH *.LOG "-E-","-F-"

    Regular expressions are *extremely* useful. It's down-right
    pathetic that DCL (VMS?) hasn't integrated REs into it's wildcard
    handling.

    --
    Ron Johnson, Jr.
    Jefferson LA USA