Xyplex RJ45-DB9 wiring - VMS

This is a discussion on Xyplex RJ45-DB9 wiring - VMS ; Trying to bring up a terminal server, and have difficult time getting the wiring correct for the RJ45-DB9 (to go on OPA0) using straight through cable. Anybody out there gone through the excercise? And yes have googled and found various ...

  1. Xyplex RJ45-DB9 wiring

    Trying to bring up a terminal server, and have difficult time getting
    the wiring correct for the RJ45-DB9 (to go on OPA0) using straight through
    cable.

    Anybody out there gone through the excercise? And yes have googled and
    found
    various diagrams none of which seem to work.
    TIA

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  2. Re: Xyplex RJ45-DB9 wiring

    Tom Linden wrote:
    > Trying to bring up a terminal server, and have difficult time getting
    > the wiring correct for the RJ45-DB9 (to go on OPA0) using straight
    > through cable.

    I'm not sure, what you want to do, but I think what you need would be
    only a three/four pin wiring (data signals only, no modem control).

    Connect:

    xyplex pin 4/5 (signal ground) to OPA0(DB9) pin 5 (signal ground).
    xyplex pin 3 (XMT) to OPA0(DB9) pin 2 (RCV).
    xyplex pin 6 (RCV) to OPA0(DB9) pin 3 (XMT).

    I assume that you want to use a VMS system as console device for
    the terminal server. If yes, then you would have to

    $ alloc OPA0 (or TTA0)
    $ set term/type OPA0 (or TTA0)
    $ set term/speed=9600 OPA0 (or TTA0, maybe another speed)
    $ set host/dte OPA0 (or TTA0)

    Then you should be connected to the terminal server's console port
    (you plugged the cable before this, didn't you?).

    If it's anything else that you want to do, then please be more
    detailed what you want to do and what doesn't work ...

    Albrecht

  3. Re: Xyplex RJ45-DB9 wiring

    Albrecht Schlosser wrote:

    > Tom Linden wrote:
    > > Trying to bring up a terminal server, and have difficult time getting
    > > the wiring correct for the RJ45-DB9 (to go on OPA0) using straight
    > > through cable.

    > I'm not sure, what you want to do, but I think what you need would be
    > only a three/four pin wiring (data signals only, no modem control).
    >
    > Connect:
    >
    > xyplex pin 4/5 (signal ground) to OPA0(DB9) pin 5 (signal ground).
    > xyplex pin 3 (XMT) to OPA0(DB9) pin 2 (RCV).
    > xyplex pin 6 (RCV) to OPA0(DB9) pin 3 (XMT).

    Hhmmm... then, a TTY cord for VT(MMJ) <-> HSx(RJ11) controller console port
    should work for VT's, huh?

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  4. Re: Xyplex RJ45-DB9 wiring

    Albrecht Schlosser wrote:
    > Tom Linden wrote:
    >
    >> Trying to bring up a terminal server, and have difficult time getting
    >> the wiring correct for the RJ45-DB9 (to go on OPA0) using straight
    >> through cable.

    > I'm not sure, what you want to do, but I think what you need would be
    > only a three/four pin wiring (data signals only, no modem control).
    >
    > Connect:
    >
    > xyplex pin 4/5 (signal ground) to OPA0(DB9) pin 5 (signal ground).
    > xyplex pin 3 (XMT) to OPA0(DB9) pin 2 (RCV).
    > xyplex pin 6 (RCV) to OPA0(DB9) pin 3 (XMT).

    Some terminal emulators require the rts-cts lines to be jumpered if you
    are not sending them from end to end.

    Others require the dsr-dtr lines to be jumpered.

    It is best to always jumper these lines when they are not connected
    through so that the resulting cable or adapter can be used everywhere.

    -John
    wb8tyw@qsl.network
    Personal Opinion Only

  5. Re: Xyplex RJ45-DB9 wiring

    Tom Linden wrote:
    > Trying to bring up a terminal server, and have difficult time getting
    > the wiring correct for the RJ45-DB9 (to go on OPA0) using straight
    > through cable.
    >
    > Anybody out there gone through the excercise? And yes have googled and
    > found
    > various diagrams none of which seem to work.
    > TIA

    Did you try:

    Jeff