VMS License Plates - VMS

This is a discussion on VMS License Plates - VMS ; Brad Hamilton writes: > Bob Koehler writes: > > > In article , "Richard B. Gilbert" writes: > > > > > > > > > VMS - Where scurity is not an add-on! > > > > > > ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
Results 101 to 111 of 111

  1. Re: VMS License Plates

    Brad Hamilton writes:

    > Bob Koehler writes:
    >
    > > In article <46E14732.7060106@comcast.net>, "Richard B. Gilbert" writes:
    > > >

    > > > VMS - Where scurity is not an add-on!
    > > >

    > > Gee, don't any of us have spell checkers? 8-)

    > VMS - we don' need any steeeeking spell-checkers!

    Except for me, of course...

    VMS - we don' need no steeeeenking spell-checkers!

  2. Re: VMS License Plates

    Sue wrote:
    > Dear Newsgroup,
    >
    > If you remember we have done VMS License plates over the years. The
    > last one we did had "When downtime is NOT an option"
    >
    > I was thinking about doing them again for our 30th. Let me know what
    > you think.
    >
    > Warm Regards,
    > Sue

    You will love this one:

    OpenVMS - so reliable that the newsgroup is always OT

  3. Re: VMS License Plates

    In article ,
    Dirk Munk wrote:

    > You will love this one:
    >
    > OpenVMS - so reliable that the newsgroup is always OT

    LOL!

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks:

  4. Re: VMS License Plates

    VMS, the black sheep in the HP family.

    VMS, the child HP is ashamed of and won't include in its marketing.

    VMS: HP's problem child since it makes its other products look bad.

    VMS, the quiet operating system.

    VMS: No worries mate ! (our australian friends would understand this)

    Where Windows dreams to be in 10 years.

    Microsoft couldn't even copy it right.

    You know VMS is high quality. (*)

    (*) A lot of people have heard VMS is a high quality reliable OS with
    good documentation, but don't consider it because they don't know/think
    their app can run on it.

  5. Re: VMS License Plates

    In article <46E1C59B.3060708@comcast.net>, "Richard B. Gilbert" writes:

    > How about "Two years of uptime is not unusual."

    Too short.

  6. Re: VMS License Plates

    >> How about "Two years of uptime is not unusual."

    My uptime is bigger than yours.

  7. Re: VMS License Plates

    "JF Mezei" wrote in message
    >>> How about "Two years of uptime is not unusual."

    > My uptime is bigger than yours.

    I like this one !
    Unfortunately uptime is not everything. I have a couple of days more uptime
    on a Windoze server running a single application (MS-Exchange), but the VMS
    server is running about 20 apps and different RDBMS systems at the same time
    and has undergone many application upgrades and/or installations without a
    reboot.

    That's the main thing, being able to adminster and use the system to its
    real capacity without a need to reboot all the time.

    Syltrem

  8. Re: VMS License Plates

    JF Mezei wrote:
    >>> How about "Two years of uptime is not unusual."

    > My uptime is bigger than yours.

    Mine is longer! ;-)

  9. Re: VMS License Plates

    On Sep 9, 7:21 pm, JF Mezei wrote:
    > VMS, the black sheep in the HP family.
    >
    > VMS, the child HP is ashamed of and won't include in its marketing.
    >
    > VMS: HP's problem child since it makes its other products look bad.
    >
    > VMS, the quiet operating system.
    >
    > VMS: No worries mate ! (our australian friends would understand this)
    >
    > Where Windows dreams to be in 10 years.
    >
    > Microsoft couldn't even copy it right.
    >
    > You know VMS is high quality. (*)
    >
    > (*) A lot of people have heard VMS is a high quality reliable OS with
    > good documentation, but don't consider it because they don't know/think
    > their app can run on it.

    VMS; anything else is just compensation for your shortcomings
    VMS; Safe data means more than slick graphics

  10. Re: VMS License Plates

    OpenVMS: Go Ahead - Audit Me

    ----------------------------

    Educating the Auditors

    It was a thorough audit.
    Each staff member was given personal auditor time.

    The auditor wanted to know how the computer enforced job descriptions.

    The staff figured magic.

    Management said "Not my Job".

    Curious, the auditors asked the (OpenVMS hostile) IT department.

    Unable to come up with a better answer (*don't know* was in some ways
    a far worse answer), the auditor contacted the app vendor about the
    mystery box.

    A short meeting with the app vendor assured the auditors that the
    system was not a retired, unsupported box, and even though a basic
    understanding of the system had long since disappeared from their
    organization, it did not require any magic to manage.

    The were given pointers to the documentation on their server (and the
    names of some OpenVMS friendly support staff that would be better able
    to help them), pointers to the (obscure :-) security manuals that the
    OpenVMS vendor hides on the internet, and a few simple and cost
    effective changes to their current setup.

    Much relieved, the auditors returned home to find out why IT is trying
    so hard to get rid of this set of applications that still do their job
    with only the minimum of resources and staff.

    A short time later the bean counters call to inquire about upgrades to
    their old kit and the customer calls to request some long overdue
    enhancements.

    Peace

    Duane

    (A survivor of way too many tax credit audits)

    OpenVMS: R&D Heaven

  11. Re: VMS License Plates

    On Sep 7, 4:33 pm, Sue wrote:
    > On Aug 30, 11:52 am, Sue wrote:
    >
    > > Dear Newsgroup,

    > > If you remember we have done VMS License plates over the years. The
    > > last one we did had "When downtime is NOT an option"

    > > I was thinking about doing them again for our 30th. Let me know what
    > > you think.

    > > Warm Regards,
    > > Sue

    > Did we already do Nothing Stops it I remember last year and Cool and
    > unhackable from The Netherlands. I am not in the office so I can not
    > look at them.
    >
    > Sue

    VMS: Data protection like a She-wolf with cubs
    VMS: Like a kodiak bear protecting your data
    VMS: would you rather trust a prawn or a shark to guard your data?

    VMS - because your data is the One Ring and the Dark Hacker Sauron is
    out to get it

    VMS: Because Osama hates it!
    VMS - you know you oughta!

    If you had used VMS the Russian Mafia wouldn't have your credit
    card...
    VMS - because Chinese communists already control your windows PC

    VMS - a Mighty Fortress is our OS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6