VMS License Plates - VMS

This is a discussion on VMS License Plates - VMS ; In article , Mark Berryman writes: > Bill Gunshannon wrote: >> In article , >> JF Mezei writes: >> >>>I was doing email before Windows was born. >> >> >> Just out of curiosity, when did VMS first have the ...

  1. Re: VMS License Plates

    In article <46d8262d$1@mvb.saic.com>,
    Mark Berryman writes:
    > Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    >> In article <39033$46d76794$cef8887a$22000@teksavvy.com>,
    >> JF Mezei writes:
    >>
    >>>I was doing email before Windows was born.

    >> Just out of curiosity, when did VMS first have the ability to send
    >> Email between different machines?

    > 1977 (at least for any system outside of development).

    Now there's real talent for you. They were sending Email between machines
    using VMS before it even existed!!

    http://research.microsoft.com/~gbell...ine/32-bit.htm

    October 1977:
    Introduction of the VAX-11/780, the first member of the VAX computer family.
    February 1978:
    V1.0 of the VMS operating system ships.

    http://www.openvms.org/pages.php?page=Timeline

    1978: VAX-11/VMS released

    http://hampage.hu/vax/e_main.html

    1977. Introduction of the VAX-11/780 "supermini" computer
    1978. VMS1.0 shipped

    http://www.byte.com/art/9611/sec5/art1.htm

    April 1978: First VAX shipped, with a preliminary version of VMS.
    August 1978: VMS 1.0 ships.

    Now, could someone provide the real answer? When did DECNET first come
    into existence? Was there any serial machine-to-machine protocol for
    VMS before the first port of UUCP?

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  2. Re: VMS License Plates

    In article <46d7d830$1@news.langstoeger.at>, Peter 'EPLAN' LANGSTOeGER wrote:
    [...]
    >Great statement, folks. Many are too long for a license plate.

    On top of the licesnse plate:

    (Open)VMS: $exit 2928

    On the bottom:

    %SYSTEM-W-FISH, my hovercraft is full of eels
    [...]

  3. Re: VMS License Plates

    VMS may be celebrating its 30th anniversary soon. But OpenVMS will only
    be celebrating its roughly 15th birthday (or less). So for the 30th
    anniversary, the current owners should give VMS due respect and call it VMS.

  4. Re: VMS License Plates

    Hi Sue,

    Here's my two: -

    "Sometimes it just has to be done right." (Could be prefixed with "'Cos", or
    have an exclamation mark at the end, "has to be" -v- "gotta"?).

    or

    "VMS - For banjo-plucking xenophobes"

    Cheers Richard Maher

    "Sue" wrote in message
    news:1188489170.332475.258080@y42g2000hsy.googlegr oups.com...
    > Dear Newsgroup,
    >
    > If you remember we have done VMS License plates over the years. The
    > last one we did had "When downtime is NOT an option"
    >
    > I was thinking about doing them again for our 30th. Let me know what
    > you think.
    >
    > Warm Regards,
    > Sue

  5. Re: VMS License Plates

    Mayve we can get the Afghani's or the Kurds to begin using VMS - them we can
    have:

    OpenVMS - The Official Operating System of ... insert country here...

    --
    OpenVMS - The never-advertised operating system with the dwindling ISV
    base.

  6. Re: VMS License Plates

    Brad Hamilton wrote:
    > In article <46d7d830$1@news.langstoeger.at>, Peter 'EPLAN' LANGSTOeGER wrote:
    > [...]
    >> Great statement, folks. Many are too long for a license plate.

    > On top of the licesnse plate:
    >
    > (Open)VMS: $exit 2928
    >
    > On the bottom:
    >
    > %SYSTEM-W-FISH, my hovercraft is full of eels
    > [...]

    Welcome to OpenVMS (TM) Alpha Operating System, Version V7.3-1
    [snip]
    $ exit 2928
    %SYSTEM-W-FISH, my hovercraft is full of eels
    $ exit 2930
    %SYSTEM-E-FISH, my hovercraft is full of eels
    $ exit 2932
    %SYSTEM-F-FISH, my hovercraft is full of eels
    $ exit 2934
    %SYSTEM-?-FISH, my hovercraft is full of eels
    $ logo

    "They" missed:

    %SYSTEM-I-FISH, my hovercraft is full of eels

    8-) 8-)

    Jeff

  7. Re: VMS License Plates

    In article <5jrhc8F10ehbU1@mid.individual.net>, bill@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:
    > In article <46d8262d$1@mvb.saic.com>,
    > Mark Berryman writes:
    >> Bill Gunshannon wrote:

    >>> Just out of curiosity, when did VMS first have the ability to send
    >>> Email between different machines?

    >> 1977 (at least for any system outside of development).

    > Now there's real talent for you. They were sending Email between machines
    > using VMS before it even existed!!
    >

    > http://research.microsoft.com/~gbell...ine/32-bit.htm
    >
    > October 1977:
    > Introduction of the VAX-11/780, the first member of the VAX computer family.
    > February 1978:
    > V1.0 of the VMS operating system ships.

    I am pretty sure there was a field test in 1987. I remember stories
    of sites running something called "Baselevel 5". One of the pioneer
    VMS sites and early field test was a university machine whose system
    manager was named Wilson. He had plenty to say about the lack of
    indexed files in VMS V1 for him to log in.

  8. Re: VMS License Plates

    On 08/31/07 17:00, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    [snip]

    > Now, could someone provide the real answer? When did DECNET first come
    > into existence?

    1975. I wouldn't be surprised if network email arrive in Phase II
    (1976) or Phase III (1980).

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DECnet
    DECnet is a suite of network protocols created by Digital
    Equipment Corporation, originally released in 1975 in order
    to connect two PDP-11 minicomputers. It evolved into one of
    the first peer-to-peer network architectures, thus transforming
    DEC into a networking powerhouse in the 1980s.

    > Was there any serial machine-to-machine protocol for
    > VMS before the first port of UUCP?

    DECnet III supported X.25.

    --
    Ron Johnson, Jr.
    Jefferson LA USA

  9. Re: VMS License Plates

    In article ,
    Ron Johnson writes:
    > On 08/31/07 17:00, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    > [snip]
    >>
    >> Now, could someone provide the real answer? When did DECNET first come
    >> into existence?

    > 1975. I wouldn't be surprised if network email arrive in Phase II
    > (1976) or Phase III (1980).
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DECnet
    > DECnet is a suite of network protocols created by Digital
    > Equipment Corporation, originally released in 1975 in order
    > to connect two PDP-11 minicomputers. It evolved into one of
    > the first peer-to-peer network architectures, thus transforming
    > DEC into a networking powerhouse in the 1980s.
    >
    >> Was there any serial machine-to-machine protocol for
    >> VMS before the first port of UUCP?

    > DECnet III supported X.25.

    OK, I worded that wrong. I knew tere was DECNET for the PDP-11.
    When was DECNET first avalable for VMS and was there any other
    inter-machine protocol before that?

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  10. Re: VMS License Plates

    Sue wrote:
    > Dear Newsgroup,
    >
    > If you remember we have done VMS License plates over the years. The
    > last one we did had "When downtime is NOT an option"
    >
    > I was thinking about doing them again for our 30th. Let me know what
    > you think.
    >
    > Warm Regards,
    > Sue

    HP OpenVMS - Not even HP management can shut it down.

  11. Re: VMS License Plates

    on 1-9-2007 13:10 Bill Gunshannon wrote...

    > OK, I worded that wrong. I knew tere was DECNET for the PDP-11.
    > When was DECNET first avalable for VMS and was there any other
    > inter-machine protocol before that?

    From an unbiased source:
    http://research.microsoft.com/~gbell...e/software.htm

    "[VMS] V1.0 featured FORTRAN IV and DECnet, a 64 megabyte memory limit,
    an event driven priority scheduler, process swapper, process
    deletion/creation/control, I/O post processing and AST delivery"

    VMS 1.0 with DECnet shipped in February 1978. February 1980 saw DECnet
    Phase III

    /Wilm

  12. Re: VMS License Plates

    In article <46d9a8e8$0$25478$ba620dc5@text.nova.planet.nl>, Wilm Boerhout writes:
    > on 1-9-2007 13:10 Bill Gunshannon wrote...
    >
    >> OK, I worded that wrong. I knew tere was DECNET for the PDP-11.
    >> When was DECNET first avalable for VMS and was there any other
    >> inter-machine protocol before that?

    > From an unbiased source:
    > http://research.microsoft.com/~gbell...e/software.htm
    >
    > "[VMS] V1.0 featured FORTRAN IV and DECnet, a 64 megabyte memory limit,
    > an event driven priority scheduler, process swapper, process
    > deletion/creation/control, I/O post processing and AST delivery"
    >
    > VMS 1.0 with DECnet shipped in February 1978. February 1980 saw DECnet
    > Phase III

    But since Bill's quote above is the "corrected" wording, the question
    "was there any other inter-machine protocol before that?" could mean
    to include non-VMS protocols, so ANF-10 (a predecessor to DECnet) might
    qualify.

  13. Re: VMS License Plates

    on 1-9-2007 22:18 Larry Kilgallen wrote...
    III

    > But since Bill's quote above is the "corrected" wording, the question
    > "was there any other inter-machine protocol before that?" could mean
    > to include non-VMS protocols, so ANF-10 (a predecessor to DECnet) might
    > qualify.

    Since DECnet shipped with VMS 1.0, on what predecessor of that OS
    version on VAX(-11) would that protocol run? I imagine that in the
    STAR/STARLET labs, a lot was running that was not shipped in the final
    VMS 1.0

    /Wilm

  14. Re: VMS License Plates

    Jeff Campbell wrote:
    > Brad Hamilton wrote:
    >> In article <46d7d830$1@news.langstoeger.at>, Peter 'EPLAN' LANGSTOeGER
    >> wrote:
    >> [...]
    >>> Great statement, folks. Many are too long for a license plate.

    >> On top of the licesnse plate:
    >>
    >> (Open)VMS: $exit 2928
    >>
    >> On the bottom:
    >>
    >> %SYSTEM-W-FISH, my hovercraft is full of eels
    >> [...]

    > Welcome to OpenVMS (TM) Alpha Operating System, Version V7.3-1
    > [snip]
    > $ exit 2928
    > %SYSTEM-W-FISH, my hovercraft is full of eels
    > $ exit 2930
    > %SYSTEM-E-FISH, my hovercraft is full of eels
    > $ exit 2932
    > %SYSTEM-F-FISH, my hovercraft is full of eels
    > $ exit 2934
    > %SYSTEM-?-FISH, my hovercraft is full of eels
    > $ logo
    >

    > "They" missed:
    >
    > %SYSTEM-I-FISH, my hovercraft is full of eels
    >
    > 8-) 8-)

    Well, yes and no.

    $ exit 2929
    $ write sys$output f$message(2929)
    %SYSTEM-S-FISH, my hovercraft is full of eels
    $ exit 2931
    $ write sys$ooutput f$message(2931)
    %SYSTEM-I-FISH, my hovercraft is full of eels
    $

    I don't recall at the moment whether there's a way to force DCL,
    or more precisely, to force EXIT to display Success and Informational
    severity messages.

    For those who are too new to understand why the various statii all
    produce the same message text, note that a message code, e.g., 2932,
    has various fields in it, and the least significant 3 bits give the
    severity (valid severities are 0-4); the same message mnemonic and text
    can be displayed with different severities and, indeed, different
    facilities. Here, for example:

    $ exit 134002
    %DEBUG-E-FISH, my hovercraft is full of eels
    $

    :-) :-) :-)

    -Ken
    --
    Ken & Ann Fairfield
    What: Ken dot And dot Ann

  15. Re: VMS License Plates

    Ken Fairfield wrote:
    > Jeff Campbell wrote:
    >> Brad Hamilton wrote:
    >>> In article <46d7d830$1@news.langstoeger.at>, Peter 'EPLAN'
    >>> LANGSTOeGER wrote:
    >>> [...]
    >>>
    >>> On top of the licesnse plate:
    >>>
    >>> (Open)VMS: $exit 2928
    >>>
    >>> On the bottom:
    >>>
    >>> %SYSTEM-W-FISH, my hovercraft is full of eels
    >>> [...]

    >> Welcome to OpenVMS (TM) Alpha Operating System, Version V7.3-1
    >> [snip]
    >> $ exit 2928
    >> %SYSTEM-W-FISH, my hovercraft is full of eels
    >> $ exit 2930
    >> %SYSTEM-E-FISH, my hovercraft is full of eels
    >> $ exit 2932
    >> %SYSTEM-F-FISH, my hovercraft is full of eels
    >> $ exit 2934
    >> %SYSTEM-?-FISH, my hovercraft is full of eels
    >> $ logo
    >>

    >> "They" missed:
    >>
    >> %SYSTEM-I-FISH, my hovercraft is full of eels
    >>
    >> 8-) 8-)

    > Well, yes and no.
    >
    > $ exit 2929
    > $ write sys$output f$message(2929)
    > %SYSTEM-S-FISH, my hovercraft is full of eels
    > $ exit 2931
    > $ write sys$ooutput f$message(2931)
    > %SYSTEM-I-FISH, my hovercraft is full of eels
    > $
    >
    > I don't recall at the moment whether there's a way to force DCL,
    > or more precisely, to force EXIT to display Success and Informational
    > severity messages.
    >
    > For those who are too new to understand why the various statii all
    > produce the same message text, note that a message code, e.g., 2932,
    > has various fields in it, and the least significant 3 bits give the
    > severity (valid severities are 0-4); the same message mnemonic and text
    > can be displayed with different severities and, indeed, different
    > facilities. Here, for example:
    >
    > $ exit 134002
    > %DEBUG-E-FISH, my hovercraft is full of eels
    > $
    >
    > :-) :-) :-)
    >
    > -Ken

    Not on my system... The odd numbers are successful of course.

    Welcome to OpenVMS (TM) Alpha Operating System, Version V7.3-1

    $ exit 2928
    %SYSTEM-W-FISH, my hovercraft is full of eels
    $ exit 2929
    $ exit 2930
    %SYSTEM-E-FISH, my hovercraft is full of eels
    $ exit 2931
    $ exit 2932
    %SYSTEM-F-FISH, my hovercraft is full of eels
    $
    $ exit 134002
    %DEBUG-E-FISH, my hovercraft is full of eels
    $

    Jeff

  16. Re: VMS License Plates

    Wilm Boerhout writes:

    > on 1-9-2007 22:18 Larry Kilgallen wrote...

    >> But since Bill's quote above is the "corrected" wording, the question
    >> "was there any other inter-machine protocol before that?" could mean
    >> to include non-VMS protocols, so ANF-10 (a predecessor to DECnet) might
    >> qualify.

    > Since DECnet shipped with VMS 1.0, on what predecessor of that OS
    > version on VAX(-11) would that protocol run? I imagine that in the
    > STAR/STARLET labs, a lot was running that was not shipped in the final
    > VMS 1.0

    The "-10" in the name will be a clue to those old enough. Suffice it to say
    that it never, *ever* ran on a VAX.

    As far as non-VAX, non-VMS networking protocols, there's always the original
    ARPANET IMP-based protocol suite (where e-mail was handled by a hack to FTP).

    --
    Rich Alderson | /"\ ASCII ribbon |
    news@alderson.users.panix.com | \ / campaign against |

  17. Re: VMS License Plates

    Jeff Campbell wrote:
    > Ken Fairfield wrote:
    >> Jeff Campbell wrote:

    [big snip]

    >>> "They" missed:
    >>>
    >>> %SYSTEM-I-FISH, my hovercraft is full of eels
    >>>
    >>> 8-) 8-)

    >> Well, yes and no.
    >>
    >> $ exit 2929
    >> $ write sys$output f$message(2929)
    >> %SYSTEM-S-FISH, my hovercraft is full of eels
    >> $ exit 2931
    >> $ write sys$ooutput f$message(2931)
    >> %SYSTEM-I-FISH, my hovercraft is full of eels
    >> $
    >>
    >> I don't recall at the moment whether there's a way to force DCL,
    >> or more precisely, to force EXIT to display Success and Informational
    >> severity messages.

    [more snippage]

    > Not on my system... The odd numbers are successful of course.

    I'm missing the context here; *what* is "Not on my system..."?

    > Welcome to OpenVMS (TM) Alpha Operating System, Version V7.3-1
    >
    > $ exit 2928
    > %SYSTEM-W-FISH, my hovercraft is full of eels
    > $ exit 2929
    > $ exit 2930
    > %SYSTEM-E-FISH, my hovercraft is full of eels
    > $ exit 2931
    > $ exit 2932
    > %SYSTEM-F-FISH, my hovercraft is full of eels
    > $
    > $ exit 134002
    > %DEBUG-E-FISH, my hovercraft is full of eels
    > $

    I think you've just demonstrated my remark about EXIT not displaying
    success or informational severity messages. Was there something else?

    I guess my initial remark in post you followed-up, in response to
    '"They" missed:', would better have been stated , "Well yes, and
    the -S- version."

    -Ken
    --
    Ken & Ann Fairfield
    What: Ken dot And dot Ann

  18. Re: VMS License Plates

    Ken Fairfield wrote:
    > Jeff Campbell wrote:
    >> Ken Fairfield wrote:
    >>> Jeff Campbell wrote:

    > [big snip]

    >>> Well, yes and no.
    >>>
    >>> $ exit 2929
    >>> $ write sys$output f$message(2929)
    >>> %SYSTEM-S-FISH, my hovercraft is full of eels
    >>> $ exit 2931
    >>> $ write sys$ooutput f$message(2931)
    >>> %SYSTEM-I-FISH, my hovercraft is full of eels
    >>> $
    >>>
    >>> I don't recall at the moment whether there's a way to force DCL,
    >>> or more precisely, to force EXIT to display Success and Informational
    >>> severity messages.

    > [more snippage]
    >

    >> Not on my system... The odd numbers are successful of course.
    >>

    > I'm missing the context here; *what* is "Not on my system..."?
    >
    >> Welcome to OpenVMS (TM) Alpha Operating System, Version V7.3-1
    >>
    >> $ exit 2928
    >> %SYSTEM-W-FISH, my hovercraft is full of eels
    >> $ exit 2929
    >> $ exit 2930
    >> %SYSTEM-E-FISH, my hovercraft is full of eels
    >> $ exit 2931
    >> $ exit 2932
    >> %SYSTEM-F-FISH, my hovercraft is full of eels
    >> $
    >> $ exit 134002
    >> %DEBUG-E-FISH, my hovercraft is full of eels
    >> $

    > I think you've just demonstrated my remark about EXIT not displaying
    > success or informational severity messages. Was there something else?

    No. 8-) 8-)

    I didn't think to try the lexical even though it was right there
    in your reply.

    > I guess my initial remark in post you followed-up, in response to
    > '"They" missed:', would better have been stated , "Well yes, and
    > the -S- version."
    >
    > -Ken

    Jeff

  19. Re: VMS License Plates

    In article <5jqvmnFtrjmU2@mid.individual.net>, bill@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:
    > In article <39033$46d76794$cef8887a$22000@teksavvy.com>,
    > JF Mezei writes:
    >>
    >> I was doing email before Windows was born.

    > Just out of curiosity, when did VMS first have the ability to send
    > Email between different machines?

    When DECnet was put on it. This dates back at least to VMS 2.x, I
    first read the DECnet manuals that shipped with 2.2. It might have
    been earlier but we didn't do networking back in the shop where I
    used 1.x.

  20. Re: VMS License Plates

    In article <5jsvlmF14tjjU1@mid.individual.net>, bill@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:

    > OK, I worded that wrong. I knew tere was DECNET for the PDP-11.
    > When was DECNET first avalable for VMS and was there any other
    > inter-machine protocol before that?

    Before DECnet, there was RS-232. To be usefull you wanted something
    higher than RS-232 so somebody ported uucp and called it VAXnet. I
    had system running both DECnet and VAXnet, but I don't know if the
    VAXnet port was done before DECnet became available.