This is a discussion on References: header (was Re: Exporting data tied up in a VAX/VMS system) - VMS ; Michael Unger wrote on 08/29/2007 04:22:40 PM: > On 2007-08-29 20:13, "Tom Linden" wrote: > > > Norm, I use Opera which has a pretty good newsreader, displaying threads > > by > > indentation, but your reply appears as ...

  1. References: header (was Re: Exporting data tied up in a VAX/VMS system)

    Michael Unger wrote on 08/29/2007 04:22:40
    PM:

    > On 2007-08-29 20:13, "Tom Linden" wrote:
    >
    > > Norm, I use Opera which has a pretty good newsreader, displaying

    threads
    > > by
    > > indentation, but your reply appears as a new thread. Why is that?

    > I don't know Opera -- but there is *no* "References:" header at all in
    > that posting which made its way through Info-VAX.

    I don't know enough about headers to discuss this. I have been using
    Info-VAX for years from NotesMail and this is the first time a threading
    issue has been mentioned.

    Perhaps it is related to not using a newsreader web protocol.

    I would welcome a pointer to any controlling RFP and a suggestion as to
    what
    to ask my Notes Admistration Service Desk (ironic emoticon suppressed).

    > Michael
    >
    > --
    > Real names enhance the probability of getting real answers.
    > My e-mail account at DECUS Munich is no longer valid.

  2. Re: References: header (was Re: Exporting data tied up in a VAX/VMSsystem)

    norm.raphael@metso.com wrote:

    > Michael Unger wrote on 08/29/2007
    > 04:22:40 PM:
    >
    > > On 2007-08-29 20:13, "Tom Linden" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Norm, I use Opera which has a pretty good newsreader, displaying

    > threads
    > > > by
    > > > indentation, but your reply appears as a new thread. Why is that?

    > > I don't know Opera -- but there is *no* "References:" header at all in
    > > that posting which made its way through Info-VAX.
    > >

    > I don't know enough about headers to discuss this. I have been using
    > Info-VAX for years from NotesMail and this is the first time a threading
    > issue has been mentioned.
    >
    > Perhaps it is related to not using a newsreader web protocol.
    >
    > I would welcome a pointer to any controlling RFP and a suggestion as to
    > what
    > to ask my Notes Admistration Service Desk (ironic emoticon suppressed).
    >
    > > Michael
    > >
    > > --
    > > Real names enhance the probability of getting real answers.
    > > My e-mail account at DECUS Munich is no longer valid.

    .... But then this message came along which wasn't properly threaded
    (maybe due to the change in subject?) and is in a weird font.

    (Still in VMS Mozilla)

    --
    John Santos
    Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.

  3. Re: References: header (was Re: Exporting data tied up in a VAX/VMSsystem)

    On 2007-08-30 15:09, "norm.raphael@metso.com" wrote:

    > Michael Unger wrote on 08/29/2007 04:22:40
    > PM:
    >
    >> On 2007-08-29 20:13, "Tom Linden" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Norm, I use Opera which has a pretty good newsreader, displaying

    > threads
    >> > by
    >> > indentation, but your reply appears as a new thread. Why is that?

    >> I don't know Opera -- but there is *no* "References:" header at all in
    >> that posting which made its way through Info-VAX.
    >>

    > I don't know enough about headers to discuss this. I have been using
    > Info-VAX for years from NotesMail and this is the first time a threading
    > issue has been mentioned.

    I donn't know a lot of different newsreaders -- but Mozilla/SeaMonkey do
    "Threading by Subject" in default mode. You have to define a "User
    Preference" entry in user.js to *enforce* "Threading by References".
    There's no GUI (for that option) AFAIK.

    > [...]
    >
    > I would welcome a pointer to any controlling RFP and a suggestion as to
    > what
    > to ask my Notes Admistration Service Desk (ironic emoticon suppressed).

    I don't know if Notes is able to cope with "Message-ID:" and
    "References:" headers ...

    Michael

    --
    Real names enhance the probability of getting real answers.
    My e-mail account at DECUS Munich is no longer valid.

+ Reply to Thread