Odd disk problem - VMS

This is a discussion on Odd disk problem - VMS ; I have a shadowed system disks. Initially DKA0 is in the shadow set all by itself. If I try to add DKA100 as a member the system starts logging soft errors on DKA0 like crazy and the DSA0 keeps remounting ...

  1. Odd disk problem

    I have a shadowed system disks. Initially DKA0 is in the shadow set
    all by itself.

    If I try to add DKA100 as a member the system starts logging soft
    errors on DKA0 like crazy and the DSA0 keeps remounting and the shadow
    never completes (or at least it bogs way down, I did not wait for a
    very long time). And, the system bogs down.

    But I did a ana/med/exer on DKA0 and found no bad blocks.

    I am going to restore from a tape and try again.

  2. Re: Odd disk problem

    In article <1188409935.526087.282070@22g2000hsm.googlegroups.c om>,
    tadamsmar writes:

    > I have a shadowed system disks. Initially DKA0 is in the shadow set
    > all by itself.
    >
    > If I try to add DKA100 as a member the system starts logging soft
    > errors on DKA0 like crazy and the DSA0 keeps remounting and the shadow
    > never completes (or at least it bogs way down, I did not wait for a
    > very long time). And, the system bogs down.
    >
    > But I did a ana/med/exer on DKA0 and found no bad blocks.

    I have seen this with some old solid-state disks. What type of disks
    are you using?

  3. Re: Odd disk problem

    On Aug 30, 3:38 am, hel...@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip Helbig---
    remove CLOTHES to reply) wrote:
    > In article <1188409935.526087.282...@22g2000hsm.googlegroups.c om>,
    >
    > tadamsmar writes:
    > > I have a shadowed system disks. Initially DKA0 is in the shadow set
    > > all by itself.

    > > If I try to add DKA100 as a member the system starts logging soft
    > > errors on DKA0 like crazy and the DSA0 keeps remounting and the shadow
    > > never completes (or at least it bogs way down, I did not wait for a
    > > very long time). And, the system bogs down.

    > > But I did a ana/med/exer on DKA0 and found no bad blocks.

    > I have seen this with some old solid-state disks. What type of disks
    > are you using?

    ST32171WC on a Alphaserver 800.

    I restored the disk from a tape after the ana/med/exer. Now the
    shadow set works, not disk errors. I am not sure why it works now.
    the ana/med/exer did not find any bad blocks.

+ Reply to Thread