Hanging TNA ports. - VMS

This is a discussion on Hanging TNA ports. - VMS ; Hi. I hope it's OK with a technical questions here also... :-) I have a problem where TNA ports suddenly hangs and "telnet /delete " does not work. The command itself does not hang, but the TNS device is still ...

  1. Hanging TNA ports.

    Hi.
    I hope it's OK with a technical questions here also... :-)

    I have a problem where TNA ports suddenly
    hangs and "telnet /delete " does not
    work. The command itself does not hang, but
    the TNS device is still there.

    The port has lost it's connection to the
    term-server (it's used for some barcode
    reader that is "conneted" to an application
    though this TNA device).

    One can not either re-assign the ip-address
    and portnumner of the term server to the TNA
    device. The current "solution" when this happens
    is to asign a new TNA-number and restart the app
    using that TNA device.

    Now, what could get the "telnet /Delete" command
    to fail deleting the TNA device ?

    I've noticed that both $SHOW DEV and SDA> SHOW DEV
    says "Ref count 3". I *guess* that it's these
    reference counts that hangs the device, but I've no idea
    how to find out *who* is referencing the device.

    Anyting else I should check ?

    The system has close to 200 TNA ports, most of them
    working just well, but now and then (say once a week)
    a port gets stuck and the above happens.

    Best Regards,
    Jan-Erik.

  2. Re: Hanging TNA ports.

    Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:

    > I hope it's OK with a technical questions here also... :-)

    How dare you !

    > I've noticed that both $SHOW DEV and SDA> SHOW DEV
    > says "Ref count 3". I *guess* that it's these
    > reference counts that hangs the device, but I've no idea
    > how to find out *who* is referencing the device.

    You can use ANA/SYS and SET PROC to the likely canditates (like your
    app) and do a SHOW DEV . You might find that this one process has 3
    channels assigned to that device.

    And if you look at the code of the application, you might get a better
    idea of whether there is logic that improperly closes a device and
    assigns a new channel to it.

  3. Re: Hanging TNA ports.

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:
    >
    >> I hope it's OK with a technical questions here also... :-)

    > How dare you !
    >
    >> I've noticed that both $SHOW DEV and SDA> SHOW DEV
    >> says "Ref count 3". I *guess* that it's these
    >> reference counts that hangs the device, but I've no idea
    >> how to find out *who* is referencing the device.

    > You can use ANA/SYS and SET PROC to the likely canditates (like your
    > app) and do a SHOW DEV . You might find that this one process has 3
    > channels assigned to that device.
    >
    > And if you look at the code of the application, you might get a better
    > idea of whether there is logic that improperly closes a device and
    > assigns a new channel to it.

    The likely process is long "dead", of course. The TNA port is all
    that is left. Tha app has been restarted using a new TNA port
    (using the same IP/port destination). There is no problem with
    the new app/TNA combo. The problem is that the app can not be
    restarted usning the old TNA (that is "hanging").

    I need a method to trace down those three "ref counts". Maybe
    I can run a SDA> SHO DEV on all procs to some file and try
    a few SEARCH'es...

    Regards,
    Jan-Erik.

  4. Re: Hanging TNA ports.

    Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:

    > [...snip...]
    >
    > I need a method to trace down those three "ref counts". Maybe
    > I can run a SDA> SHO DEV on all procs to some file and try
    > a few SEARCH'es...

    Here are the commands you're looking for:

    $ anal/sys
    SDA> set out x.x
    SDA> show proc/chann all
    SDA> exit

    And then search x.x for your TNA device.

  5. Re: Hanging TNA ports.

    R.A.Omond wrote:
    > Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:
    >
    >> [...snip...]
    >>
    >> I need a method to trace down those three "ref counts". Maybe
    >> I can run a SDA> SHO DEV on all procs to some file and try
    >> a few SEARCH'es...

    > Here are the commands you're looking for:

    Perfect !

    > $ anal/sys
    > SDA> set out x.x
    > SDA> show proc/chann all
    > SDA> exit

    OK, got a 2.500+ block file.
    With a little more then 13.000 channels...

    > And then search x.x for your TNA device.

    Yep, found it !
    Assigned from a process. Now, tomorrow I'll check
    with the application guy why *that* process has *that*
    TNA port assigned...

    Now, if one *defenitely* want to "telnet delete" that TNA
    port, I have to find out a way to automate the above process.
    Doesn't seems to hard.
    Or, maybe better/safer, to simply report the process holding the
    port assigned...

    Regards,
    Jan-Erik.

+ Reply to Thread