Alpha ZIP and GZIP - VMS

This is a discussion on Alpha ZIP and GZIP - VMS ; I have a problem with a large file that needs to be zipped and sent to a PC for burning to a dvd. With ZIP I do $ zip "-V" 'saveset-file-spec' 'file(s)-to-be-zipped' The problem is ZIP only handels files up ...

  1. Alpha ZIP and GZIP

    I have a problem with a large file that needs to be zipped and sent to a
    PC for burning to a dvd.

    With ZIP I do

    $ zip "-V" 'saveset-file-spec' 'file(s)-to-be-zipped'

    The problem is ZIP only handels files up to a "certain" size

    Questions are:

    1: what is the upper limit on Alpha Zip
    $ zip -h
    Copyright (C) 1990-1999 Info-ZIP
    Type 'zip "-L"' for software license.
    Zip 2.3 (November 29th 1999). Usage: zip=="$disk:[dir]zip.exe"
    zip [-options] [-b path] [-t mmddyyyy] [-n suffixes] [zipfile list] [-xi
    list]
    ..
    ..
    ..

    2: How can I get GZIP to maintain VMS file characteristics?

    $ gzip -h
    gzip 1.3.5-1
    (2002-09-30)
    usage: gzip [-cdfhlLnNrtvV19] [-S suffix] [file ...]
    -c --stdout write on standard output, keep original files unchanged
    -d --decompress decompress
    -f --force force overwrite of output file and compress links
    -h --help give this help
    -l --list list compressed file contents
    -L --license display software license
    -n --no-name do not save or restore the original name and timestamp
    -N --name save or restore the original name and time stamp
    -q --quiet suppress all warnings
    -r --recursive operate recursively on directories
    -S .suf --suffix .suf use suffix .suf on compressed files
    -t --test test compressed file integrity
    -v --verbose verbose mode
    -V --version display version number
    -1 --fast compress faster
    -9 --best compress better
    file... files to (de)compress. If none given, use standard input.

  2. Re: Alpha ZIP and GZIP

    Answering my own post

    The limit for zip is 4GB (included the latest release 2.32)

    GZIP does not have the capability to maintain VMS file characteristics!

    ARGH

    Jim Mehlhop wrote:
    > I have a problem with a large file that needs to be zipped and sent to a
    > PC for burning to a dvd.
    >
    > With ZIP I do
    >
    > $ zip "-V" 'saveset-file-spec' 'file(s)-to-be-zipped'
    >
    > The problem is ZIP only handels files up to a "certain" size
    >
    > Questions are:
    >
    > 1: what is the upper limit on Alpha Zip
    > $ zip -h
    > Copyright (C) 1990-1999 Info-ZIP
    > Type 'zip "-L"' for software license.
    > Zip 2.3 (November 29th 1999). Usage: zip=="$disk:[dir]zip.exe"
    > zip [-options] [-b path] [-t mmddyyyy] [-n suffixes] [zipfile list] [-xi
    > list]
    > .
    > .
    > .
    >
    > 2: How can I get GZIP to maintain VMS file characteristics?
    >
    > $ gzip -h
    > gzip 1.3.5-1
    > (2002-09-30)
    > usage: gzip [-cdfhlLnNrtvV19] [-S suffix] [file ...]
    > -c --stdout write on standard output, keep original files unchanged
    > -d --decompress decompress
    > -f --force force overwrite of output file and compress links
    > -h --help give this help
    > -l --list list compressed file contents
    > -L --license display software license
    > -n --no-name do not save or restore the original name and timestamp
    > -N --name save or restore the original name and time stamp
    > -q --quiet suppress all warnings
    > -r --recursive operate recursively on directories
    > -S .suf --suffix .suf use suffix .suf on compressed files
    > -t --test test compressed file integrity
    > -v --verbose verbose mode
    > -V --version display version number
    > -1 --fast compress faster
    > -9 --best compress better
    > file... files to (de)compress. If none given, use standard input.

  3. Re: Alpha ZIP and GZIP

    On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 16:06:59 -0700, Jim Mehlhop wrote:

    > Answering my own post
    >
    > The limit for zip is 4GB (included the latest release 2.32)
    >
    > GZIP does not have the capability to maintain VMS file characteristics!
    >
    > ARGH

    Use backup then gzip.

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  4. Re: Alpha ZIP and GZIP

    ZIP can easily preserve VMS file characteristics if the "-V" switch
    is used (I generally have to quote the options to get uppercase V to
    Zip). This has been working fine for many years. However note: a Zip
    file made this way will store underlying files the way they exist in VMS,
    so if you want to read them on some heathen system that uses streams
    you will need a program to convert the record lengths followed by data into
    delimited records. Remember that odd record lengths get null padded also!
    Glenn Everhart

+ Reply to Thread