Can't copy compressed savesets to tape - VMS

This is a discussion on Can't copy compressed savesets to tape - VMS ; Hello all: Whenever I try to copy a compressed saveset to tape (using COPY) I get: $ copy nv.bck mka600:/log %COPY-E-OPENOUT, error opening MKA600:[SCOTT.CLIENTS.DND]NV.BCK;1 as output -RMS-E-CRE, ACP file create failed -SYSTEM-F-BADATTRIB, bad attribute control list %COPY-W-NOTCOPIED, DISK$USER:[SCOTT.CLIENTS.DND]NV.BCK;1 not copied ...

  1. Can't copy compressed savesets to tape

    Hello all:

    Whenever I try to copy a compressed saveset to
    tape (using COPY) I get:

    $ copy nv.bck mka600:/log
    %COPY-E-OPENOUT, error opening MKA600:[SCOTT.CLIENTS.DND]NV.BCK;1 as output
    -RMS-E-CRE, ACP file create failed
    -SYSTEM-F-BADATTRIB, bad attribute control list
    %COPY-W-NOTCOPIED, DISK$USER:[SCOTT.CLIENTS.DND]NV.BCK;1 not copied

    I've dumped the saveset, and all records are longer than 14 bytes.

    Any ideas about what's wrong?

    Scott

  2. Re: Can't copy compressed savesets to tape

    In article , "Scott Greig" writes:
    > Hello all:
    >
    > Whenever I try to copy a compressed saveset to
    > tape (using COPY) I get:
    >
    > $ copy nv.bck mka600:/log
    > %COPY-E-OPENOUT, error opening MKA600:[SCOTT.CLIENTS.DND]NV.BCK;1 as output
    > -RMS-E-CRE, ACP file create failed
    > -SYSTEM-F-BADATTRIB, bad attribute control list
    > %COPY-W-NOTCOPIED, DISK$USER:[SCOTT.CLIENTS.DND]NV.BCK;1 not copied

    What's the longest record length in the save set? And what's the
    LRL in its file header?

    The largest record supported by ANSI labelled mag tape with variable
    length records is 9995. (You need to be able to encode the record length,
    inclusive of the byte count in 4 decimal digits).

    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/DOC/731FIN...6.html#fab_mrs

    You might try creating the save set with /BLOCK=8192 and see if
    that helps.

  3. Re: Can't copy compressed savesets to tape

    In article , "Scott Greig" writes:
    > Hello all:
    >
    > Whenever I try to copy a compressed saveset to
    > tape (using COPY) I get:
    >
    > $ copy nv.bck mka600:/log
    > %COPY-E-OPENOUT, error opening MKA600:[SCOTT.CLIENTS.DND]NV.BCK;1 as output
    > -RMS-E-CRE, ACP file create failed
    > -SYSTEM-F-BADATTRIB, bad attribute control list
    > %COPY-W-NOTCOPIED, DISK$USER:[SCOTT.CLIENTS.DND]NV.BCK;1 not copied
    >
    > I've dumped the saveset, and all records are longer than 14 bytes.
    >
    > Any ideas about what's wrong?

    Get and use TCOPY. BACKUP sometimes uses non-standard error handling
    on tapes that COPY can't deal with. TCOPY can.

  4. Re: Can't copy compressed savesets to tape

    In article , Scott Greig wrote:
    >Hello all:
    >
    >Whenever I try to copy a compressed saveset to
    >tape (using COPY) I get:
    >
    >$ copy nv.bck mka600:/log
    >%COPY-E-OPENOUT, error opening MKA600:[SCOTT.CLIENTS.DND]NV.BCK;1 as output
    >-RMS-E-CRE, ACP file create failed
    >-SYSTEM-F-BADATTRIB, bad attribute control list
    >%COPY-W-NOTCOPIED, DISK$USER:[SCOTT.CLIENTS.DND]NV.BCK;1 not copied
    >
    >I've dumped the saveset, and all records are longer than 14 bytes.
    >
    >Any ideas about what's wrong?

    Which version of VMS? ISTR that a patch has been issued recently for V8.3 that
    deals with this issue, unless I am mistaken...
    >Scott

+ Reply to Thread