Itanium Port Question - VMS

This is a discussion on Itanium Port Question - VMS ; John Santos wrote: > Randy, if you're still reading... I'll throw in my 2 cents worth a little > later in the thread if no one else has said anything. > > (Not to disparage John Reagan or anyone else, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 61 to 62 of 62

  1. Re: Itanium Port Question

    John Santos wrote:

    > Randy, if you're still reading... I'll throw in my 2 cents worth a little
    > later in the thread if no one else has said anything.
    >
    > (Not to disparage John Reagan or anyone else, but this is a classic
    > example of thread drift :-)

    Quite true. Randy never did post the ELF messages (which I assume were
    coming from the linker?)

    Re-reading the OP, my comment would be the standard porting chant:

    If it is supported and works on OpenVMS Alpha, it should work on OpenVMS
    I64. If the application has dependencies on things like the Calling
    Standard, etc., it might require source changes but just about all them
    are straight forward changes to similar interfaces.

    --
    John Reagan
    OpenVMS Pascal/Macro-32/COBOL Project Leader

  2. Re: What'd you do in the war Grand-dad? (was Re: Itanium Port Question)

    Hi Paul,

    > Eh? What are you wittering on about Dickie?

    Anything and everything :-)

    > Then you define yer integers. I did say word aligned, not longword or
    > quadword aligned.

    Ah yes, back in the Crimea me and Tenzing used to stick .EVENs after every
    single allocation whether we neededto or not - Happy days!

    > Righty-ho, I'll tell Carruthers and Farqhuart. They'll hold the
    > blighters off.

    It's like ZULU all over again.

    > PS. Has anyone here actually come across anyone actually named
    > Carruthers or Farqhuart? I certainly haven't.

    Now that you mention it, no. But don't get me going on first name's in Perth
    these days; there are entire primary school classes devoid of a single John,
    Peter, or Paul. (But there's a Boston a Summer and a Storm :-( Did the
    Seventies come back while I was away?)

    > If you wish to compare an amortization of the disk costs of doing
    > otherwise for 15+ years versus the one-off exercise that was Y2K, please
    > feel free to do so.

    Yes disk space is cheap these days. There are gigabytes of IPsec
    documentation out there that'll never be accessed, just chewing up space.

    Cheers Richard Maher

    "P. Sture" wrote in message
    newsaul.sture.nospam-209545.18300428082007@mac.sture.ch...
    > In article ,
    > "Richard Maher" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Paul,
    > >
    > > > Maybe there are a lot of instances of this out there, but I was taught
    > > > to word align integers back in VAX COBOL days.

    > > Oh really? Disk space was cheap back then was it?
    > >

    > Eh? What are you wittering on about Dickie?
    >
    > Consider a primary key of 17 bytes. Belongs at the beginning of an RMS
    > record in my book. Find another variable that's only one byte long and
    > it belongs next.
    >
    > Then you define yer integers. I did say word aligned, not longword or
    > quadword aligned.
    >
    > > "Yes, me and Gungadin used to fill our disks with padding bytes; don't

    fire
    > > till you see the whites of their eyes; esprit de cour and all that."

    > Righty-ho, I'll tell Carruthers and Farqhuart. They'll hold the
    > blighters off.
    >
    > PS. Has anyone here actually come across anyone actually named
    > Carruthers or Farqhuart? I certainly haven't.
    >
    > PPS. In he early 1980s I inadvertently contributed to the Y2K problem,
    > simply because I didn't believe an application would last so long.
    >
    > If you wish to compare an amortization of the disk costs of doing
    > otherwise for 15+ years versus the one-off exercise that was Y2K, please
    > feel free to do so.
    >
    > :-)
    >
    > --
    > Paul Sture