Re: COBOL Transactions? - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: COBOL Transactions? - VMS ; >>> Have you tried $SHOW DEVICE MK >> Well, it shows up if you do a show dev at the bios prompt, but not in >> VMS, even with a SHOW DEV /FULL/PAGE and looking pretty carefully for >> anything ...

  1. Re: COBOL Transactions?

    >>> Have you tried $SHOW DEVICE MK

    >> Well, it shows up if you do a show dev at the bios prompt, but not in
    >> VMS, even with a SHOW DEV /FULL/PAGE and looking pretty carefully for
    >> anything tht says "tape" in it.
    >> As you suggest below, either the tape drive is dead or the Sony 4mm
    >> drive in the machine is just not recognized by VMS.

    >maybe the tape driver isn't loaded, try
    >$ mc sysman
    >SYSMAN> io auto

    What an excellent thought! Let me go try that immediately...

    Great thought, but no joy. I really rather expect the hardware
    is just not something VMS has been configured to support right now.
    No big loss at the moment, as the entire machine will need to be
    replaced with an Itanium model, and all the software ported to IA64,
    before it starts getting sold. Alpha is great, but support is in the
    IA64 world right now.

    Just for kicks, here is the output from a SHOW DEV statement. Perhaps you or someone else may recognize the tape drive hiding in there somewhere.

    P.S. It it were working, I believe it should be on the DKA600: slot. It is
    LUN 6 on the PKA0: SCSI Adapter.

    Thanks !
    -Paul

    $ show dev

    Device Device Error Volume Free Trans Mnt
    Name Status Count Label Blocks Count Cnt
    ALPHIE$DKA0: Online 0
    ALPHIE$DKA400: Online wrtlck 0
    ALPHIE$DKB0: Mounted 0 VMS83$IPL 14262672 476 1
    ALPHIE$DKB100: Mounted 0 VMS0100 17636144 2 1
    ALPHIE$DKB200: Mounted 0 VMSA00000000 0 2 1
    ALPHIE$DKB300: Mounted 0 VMSA00000001 0 2 1
    ALPHIE$DKB400: Mounted 0 VMSA00000002 0 2 1
    ALPHIE$DKB500: Mounted 0 VMSA00000003 0 2 1
    ALPHIE$DKB600: Mounted 0 VMS0600 12952864 2 1
    ALPHIE$DVA0: Online 0
    DPA0: (ALPHIE) Online 0
    DPA1: (ALPHIE) Mounted 0 VMS$DATA 70552608 141 1

    Device Device Error
    Name Status Count
    ASN0: Online 0
    FTA0: Offline 0
    FTA18: Online 0
    OPA0: Online 0
    RTA0: Offline 0
    RTB0: Offline 0
    TNA0: Online 0
    TTA0: Online 0
    TTB0: Online 0

    Device Device Error
    Name Status Count
    LRA0: Online 0

    Device Device Error
    Name Status Count
    EWA0: Online 9
    EWA2: Online 0
    EWA3: Online 0
    EWA4: Online 0
    EWA5: Online 0
    EWA6: Online 0
    EWA8: Online 0
    EWA9: Online 0
    EWA10: Online 0
    GQA0: Online 0
    IKA0: Offline 0
    IMA0: Offline 0
    INA0: Offline 0
    MPA0: Online 0
    OPA2: Online 0
    OPA3: Online 0
    PKA0: Online 0
    PKB0: Online 0
    PPP0: Online 0
    PWIP0: Online 0
    WSA0: Offline 0
    WSA1: Online 0
    WSA2: Online 0

  2. Re: COBOL Transactions?

    In article , "Paul Raulerson" writes:

    > P.S. It it were working, I believe it should be on the DKA600: slot. It is
    > LUN 6 on the PKA0: SCSI Adapter.

    A disk drive at SCSI slot 6 on the 1st bus shows up as DKA600:, a tape
    drive at the same LUN shows up as MKA600: . VMS for Alpha has almost
    (not quite) always been quite good at finding disk and tape drives on
    SCSI.

    > ALPHIE$DKA0: Online 0
    > ALPHIE$DKA400: Online wrtlck 0

    > ALPHIE$DKB0: Mounted 0 VMS83$IPL 14262672 476 1
    > ALPHIE$DKB100: Mounted 0 VMS0100 17636144 2 1
    > ALPHIE$DKB200: Mounted 0 VMSA00000000 0 2 1
    > ALPHIE$DKB300: Mounted 0 VMSA00000001 0 2 1
    > ALPHIE$DKB400: Mounted 0 VMSA00000002 0 2 1
    > ALPHIE$DKB500: Mounted 0 VMSA00000003 0 2 1
    > ALPHIE$DKB600: Mounted 0 VMS0600 12952864 2 1

    I forget which model you're using. Generally DKA is the internal bus
    (a hard drive and a CD drive, that sounds about right) and DKB is the
    external bus. If you put that tape drive on the DBK at LUN 6 it and
    DKB600 can't both be seen.

    Is DKB600 working correctly? If not, then the tape drive is probably
    on DKB.

    Back in the early days of SCSI, they told us to have our devices
    powered on before powering on the controller, if we had a choice.
    Power cycling the controller (probably the whole Alpha) would be a
    possible step in investigation.

    OBTW VMS83$IPL sounds like some IBM fellow was managing your Alpha.

  3. RE: COBOL Transactions?

    It's seems very good at finding and using gear on the SCSI bus, much
    better than say, a Sun or AIX box.

    > > ALPHIE$DKA0: Online 0
    > > ALPHIE$DKA400: Online wrtlck 0

    > > ALPHIE$DKB0: Mounted 0 VMS83$IPL

    > 14262672 476 1
    > > ALPHIE$DKB100: Mounted 0 VMS0100

    > 17636144 2 1
    > > ALPHIE$DKB200: Mounted 0 VMSA00000000

    > 0 2 1
    > > ALPHIE$DKB300: Mounted 0 VMSA00000001

    > 0 2 1
    > > ALPHIE$DKB400: Mounted 0 VMSA00000002

    > 0 2 1
    > > ALPHIE$DKB500: Mounted 0 VMSA00000003

    > 0 2 1
    > > ALPHIE$DKB600: Mounted 0 VMS0600

    > 12952864 2 1
    >
    > I forget which model you're using. Generally DKA is the internal
    > bus
    > (a hard drive and a CD drive, that sounds about right) and DKB is
    > the
    > external bus. If you put that tape drive on the DBK at LUN 6 it and
    > DKB600 can't both be seen.
    >
    > Is DKB600 working correctly? If not, then the tape drive is
    > probably
    > on DKB.

    Yeah, DKB600: is in an external SCSI array, and it works just fine. The tape

    is connected on the internal bus and does show up as MKA600: or something
    very
    close to that, in the BIOS (is "SRM" the right term?) list. I just power
    cycled
    the machine to be sure.

    > Back in the early days of SCSI, they told us to have our devices
    > powered on before powering on the controller, if we had a choice.
    > Power cycling the controller (probably the whole Alpha) would be a
    > possible step in investigation.
    >
    > OBTW VMS83$IPL sounds like some IBM fellow was managing your Alpha.

    LOL! Thank you, I'll take that as a complement. At least I put a "$" in
    there.
    The unmounted DKA0: drive is a duplicate of it, but labeled VMS83$AIPL....

    What would you suggest is a more appropriate VMS name? I can change...

  4. Re: COBOL Transactions?

    On 08/24/07 20:04, Paul Raulerson wrote:
    [snip]

    > LOL! Thank you, I'll take that as a complement. At least I put a
    > "$" in there. The unmounted DKA0: drive is a duplicate of it,
    > but labeled VMS83$AIPL....
    >
    > What would you suggest is a more appropriate VMS name? I can
    > change...

    VMS83$IPL is a perfectly adequate name. No need to change!

    We give our system packs and crazy names like AXPVMSSYS, ALPHASYS
    and nodenameSYS.

    --
    Ron Johnson, Jr.
    Jefferson LA USA

  5. SCSI tapes (was: COBOL Transactions?)

    Paul Raulerson wrote:

    > P.S. It it were working, I believe it should be on the DKA600: slot. It is
    > LUN 6 on the PKA0: SCSI Adapter.

    Try a different LUN. Verify the termination and cabling.

    Some SCSI devices do not play well with others, and sometimes LUN 6 is
    the host LUN instead of 7.

    The console can tell you what the settings are for the PK devices.

    Someone may also be able to tell you how to get IO AUTO to be more
    verbose in what it is finding on the bus.

    -John
    wb8tyw@qsl.network
    Personal Opinion Only

  6. Re: COBOL Transactions?

    In article ,
    Ron Johnson wrote:

    > On 08/24/07 20:04, Paul Raulerson wrote:
    > [snip]
    > >
    > > LOL! Thank you, I'll take that as a complement. At least I put a
    > > "$" in there. The unmounted DKA0: drive is a duplicate of it,
    > > but labeled VMS83$AIPL....
    > >
    > > What would you suggest is a more appropriate VMS name? I can
    > > change...

    > VMS83$IPL is a perfectly adequate name. No need to change!
    >
    > We give our system packs and crazy names like AXPVMSSYS, ALPHASYS
    > and nodenameSYS.

    When working with multiple versions, I have used VAXVMS073, ALPVMS082
    etc.

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks:

  7. Re: COBOL Transactions?

    In article , Ron Johnson writes:

    > VMS83$IPL is a perfectly adequate name. No need to change!

    IPL is certainly a term inherited from IBM mainframes. $ is reserved
    to registered facilities to prevent future conflicts.

+ Reply to Thread