Alan Winston, when are you correcting your WASD book? - VMS

This is a discussion on Alan Winston, when are you correcting your WASD book? - VMS ; no wonder the WASD SSL compile failed ... my associate after failing with the WASD creators instructions used Alans book ... well it tuns out the instructions in that book how to configure WASD are WRONG ... 4.2.4 states to ...

  1. Alan Winston, when are you correcting your WASD book?

    no wonder the WASD SSL compile failed ...

    my associate after failing with the WASD creators
    instructions used Alans book ...

    well it tuns out the instructions in that book how
    to configure WASD are WRONG ...

    4.2.4 states to create a dir such as [WASD], put
    the zips into it

    then

    $ unzip "-v" htrootxxx.zip
    $ unzip "-v" opensslwasdxxxx

    well, it should read

    $ unzip "-v" htrootxxx.zip
    $ set def [.ht_root]
    $ unzip "-v" [-]opensslwasdxxx

    because then the openssl would actually load
    into [WASD.HT_ROOT.SRC] instead of into
    [WASD.SRC] ...

    then the install routine might actually find the
    openssl source sub dir ...

    but don't feel too bad Alan, the web servers
    author got his docs wrong too ...

    do you give refunds Alan?

    P.S. before placing your tin foil hat on Alan, be
    advised that the refund line was a JOKE ...
    we will commence with the rest of your book
    to find out if we are getting our $60 worth ...

  2. Re: Alan Winston, when are you correcting your WASD book?

    On Aug 24, 1:30 pm, ultra...@gmail.com wrote:
    > no wonder the WASD SSL compile failed ...
    >
    > my associate after failing with the WASD creators
    > instructions used Alans book ...
    >
    > well it tuns out the instructions in that book how
    > to configure WASD are WRONG ...
    >
    > 4.2.4 states to create a dir such as [WASD], put
    > the zips into it
    >
    > then
    >
    > $ unzip "-v" htrootxxx.zip
    > $ unzip "-v" opensslwasdxxxx
    >
    > well, it should read
    >
    > $ unzip "-v" htrootxxx.zip
    > $ set def [.ht_root]
    > $ unzip "-v" [-]opensslwasdxxx
    >
    > because then the openssl would actually load
    > into [WASD.HT_ROOT.SRC] instead of into
    > [WASD.SRC] ...
    >
    > then the install routine might actually find the
    > openssl source sub dir ...
    >
    > but don't feel too bad Alan, the web servers
    > author got his docs wrong too ...
    >
    > do you give refunds Alan?
    >
    > P.S. before placing your tin foil hat on Alan, be
    > advised that the refund line was a JOKE ...
    > we will commence with the rest of your book
    > to find out if we are getting our $60 worth ...

    also as another item, you mention CSWS requires
    at least 7.2-1 to run which is not the case ...

    we tried 1.0 on 7.1 and 1.1 also runs on 7.1 ...

  3. Re: Alan Winston, when are you correcting your WASD book?

    ultradwc@gmail.com wrote:
    > no wonder the WASD SSL compile failed ...
    >
    > my associate after failing with the WASD creators
    > instructions used Alans book ...
    >
    > well it tuns out the instructions in that book how
    > to configure WASD are WRONG ...

    Not wishing to steal Alan's thunder nor become his advocate
    unnecessarily but he did ask at least myself (and I suspect also David
    Jones, though the memory is beginning to become unreliable after six
    years) to proofread relevant portions of the early manuscript.

    I've just checked my archive of those manuscripts and that error went by
    me uncorrected. In a section that does have one other (minor) redline
    it shows:

    If you want SSL support, you can get precompiled binaries of
    current OpenSSL objects as WASDOPENSSL096C_AXP.ZIP (or
    WASDOPENSSL096C_VAX.ZIP). Put the zip files in a handy directory,
    say [WASD].

    $ UNZIP "-V" HTROOT_721
    $ UNZIP "-V" WASDOPENSSL096C_AXP.ZIP

    So yours truly shares the responsibility (but of course didn't share in
    the royalties :-)

    > 4.2.4 states to create a dir such as [WASD], put
    > the zips into it
    >
    > then
    >
    > $ unzip "-v" htrootxxx.zip
    > $ unzip "-v" opensslwasdxxxx
    >
    > well, it should read
    >
    > $ unzip "-v" htrootxxx.zip
    > $ set def [.ht_root]
    > $ unzip "-v" [-]opensslwasdxxx

    Yes.

    > because then the openssl would actually load
    > into [WASD.HT_ROOT.SRC] instead of into
    > [WASD.SRC] ...
    >
    > then the install routine might actually find the
    > openssl source sub dir ...
    >
    > but don't feel too bad Alan, the web servers
    > author got his docs wrong too ...

    Now not wishing to become too adversarial too early in this process the
    WASD documentation nowhere describes installing the WASD OpenSSL support
    package concurrently with a new installation, only as an update to an
    existing package. In fact the WASD OpenSSL kit advises (note the line
    beginning 'PREREQUISITE:')

    * SSL components of WASD ... OpenSSL 0.9.8c (5 Sep 2006)
    * SUPPORT AND OBJECT MODULES FOR THE AXP (Alpha) PLATFORM *
    * PREREQUISITE: basic WASD 9.n must be installed and configured.
    * To install files:
    $ SET DEFAULT HT_ROOT:[000000]
    $ UNZIP "-V" device:[dir]OPENSSLWASD098C-AXP.ZIP
    * To link images use:
    $ @HT_ROOT:[000000]UPDATE SSL

    It's considered an 'update' because right from the early days of WASD
    SSL support (circa 1998) SSL was considered a 'munition' by the USA and
    therefore a controlled export in/to some countries. For a
    non-USA-domestic grade encryption (40 bit) package (SSLeay was 128 bit)
    you had to be careful to decouple it and add it in later if you chose
    to. (Remember the Win32 Netscape Navigator 'hack' that upgraded it's 40
    bit 'export' capability to 'domestic' grade 128 bit?) Of course this
    restriction was relaxed by the USA once the computing at Fort Meade no
    longer found 256 bit encryption a significant obstacle (think your
    transactions are 'secure'? - think again!)

    Of course you can create a new installation containing SSL support,
    including from the WASD SSL package. WASD installs also support other
    sources of SSL functionality; HP SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) for OpenVMS
    Alpha/Itanium/VAX product, Jean-François Piéronne OpenSSL package, as
    well as from an independently built OpenSSL package

    http://wasd.vsm.com.au/ht_root/doc/h...hd_ssl_sources

    Now here is a fundamental difference between a (currently
    maintained) OSS package and a non- or semi- maintained commercial one
    .... when a problem is reported or noticed it does tend to be promptly
    fixed.

    I certainly would agree that the WASD documentation is unclear about
    using the WASD OpenSSL package as an input to an initial installation
    and that your solution shown above is the correct approach. So I've
    just updated the documentation sources to read

    (Either) UNZIP the WASD SSL package into a new
    installation

    $ SET DEFAULT [.HT_ROOT]
    $ UNZIP "-V" device:[dir]archive.ZIP

    (OR) into an existing installation

    $ SET DEFAULT HT_ROOT:[000000]
    $ UNZIP "-V" device:[dir]archive.ZIP

    (Yup, it's done with DECdocument.)

    I've also modified the WASD SSL package notes to read

    * To install files and build in an NEW installation:
    $ SET DEFAULT [.HT_ROOT]
    $ UNZIP "-V" device:[dir]OPENSSLWASDnnnn-AXP.ZIP
    $ @INSTALL
    * To install files and update in an EXISTING installation:
    $ SET DEFAULT HT_ROOT:[000000]
    $ UNZIP "-V" device:[dir]OPENSSLWASDnnnn-AXP.ZIP
    $ @UPDATE SSL

    So the next releases of either will contain these revisions.

    This is the first time someone has reported stumbling over this
    particular issue, perhaps this will prevent someone else doing so.

    > do you give refunds Alan?
    >
    > P.S. before placing your tin foil hat on Alan, be
    > advised that the refund line was a JOKE ...
    > we will commence with the rest of your book
    > to find out if we are getting our $60 worth ...

    Just keep in mind that Alan's book was written against v7.n of WASD and
    subsequently it has moved on to v9.n. While many fundamentals remain
    much the same some of the detail has certainly changed.

    Considering how much WASD and OpenVMS Apache have moved on since
    publication and how ubiquitous Web services are in modern environments I
    think Digital Press / Elsevier should provide an advance to Alan for a
    second edition. Of course now he understands how much effort it
    requires to undertake something like this it might need to be a large
    one ;-)

  4. Re: Alan Winston, when are you correcting your WASD book?

    In article <1187986164.174446.47620@r23g2000prd.googlegroups.c om>, ultradwc@gmail.com writes:
    >On Aug 24, 1:30 pm, ultra...@gmail.com wrote:
    >> no wonder the WASD SSL compile failed ...
    >>
    >> my associate after failing with the WASD creators
    >> instructions used Alans book ...
    >>
    >> well it tuns out the instructions in that book how
    >> to configure WASD are WRONG ...
    >>
    >> 4.2.4 states to create a dir such as [WASD], put
    >> the zips into it
    >>
    >> then
    >>
    >> $ unzip "-v" htrootxxx.zip
    >> $ unzip "-v" opensslwasdxxxx
    >>
    >> well, it should read
    >>
    >> $ unzip "-v" htrootxxx.zip
    >> $ set def [.ht_root]
    >> $ unzip "-v" [-]opensslwasdxxx
    >>
    >> because then the openssl would actually load
    >> into [WASD.HT_ROOT.SRC] instead of into
    >> [WASD.SRC] ...
    >>
    >> then the install routine might actually find the
    >> openssl source sub dir ...
    >>
    >> but don't feel too bad Alan, the web servers
    >> author got his docs wrong too ...
    >>
    >> do you give refunds Alan?
    >>
    >> P.S. before placing your tin foil hat on Alan, be
    >> advised that the refund line was a JOKE ...
    >> we will commence with the rest of your book
    >> to find out if we are getting our $60 worth ...

    >also as another item, you mention CSWS requires
    >at least 7.2-1 to run which is not the case ...
    >
    >we tried 1.0 on 7.1 and 1.1 also runs on 7.1 ...

    Cool! I was going by the statement of what system this is supported
    on. (I didn't run 7.1 very long myself, and I never even installed it
    on the system I bought to do webserver tests for the books, starting right
    at 7.2-1.)

    -- Alan

  5. Re: Alan Winston, when are you correcting your WASD book?

    Mark Daniel wrote:
    > Considering how much WASD and OpenVMS Apache have moved on since
    > publication and how ubiquitous Web services are in modern environments I
    > think Digital Press / Elsevier should provide an advance to Alan for a
    > second edition. Of course now he understands how much effort it
    > requires to undertake something like this it might need to be a large
    > one ;-)

    I've said it before, I'll say it again, I will buy a 2nd Edition of the
    book if it is ever done. I've gotten a lot of use out of the 1st Edition.

    Zane

+ Reply to Thread