Alan Winston, when are you correcting your WASD book? - VMS

This is a discussion on Alan Winston, when are you correcting your WASD book? - VMS ; no wonder the WASD SSL compile failed ... my associate after failing with the WASD creators instructions used Alans book ... well it tuns out the instructions in that book how to configure WASD are WRONG ... 4.2.4 states to ...

  1. Alan Winston, when are you correcting your WASD book?

    no wonder the WASD SSL compile failed ...

    my associate after failing with the WASD creators
    instructions used Alans book ...

    well it tuns out the instructions in that book how
    to configure WASD are WRONG ...

    4.2.4 states to create a dir such as [WASD]

    then

    $ unzip "-v" htrootxxx.zip
    $ unzip "-v" opensslwasdxxxx

    well, it should read

    $ unzip "-v" htrootxxx.zip
    $ set def [.ht_root]
    $ inzip "-v" [-]opensslwasdxxx

    because then the openssl would actually load
    into [WASD.HT_ROOT.SRC] instead of into
    [WASD.SRC] ...

    then the install routine might actually find the
    openssl source sub dir ...

    do you give refunds Alan?

  2. Re: Alan Winston, when are you correcting your WASD book?

    Bob wrote:

    In article <1187976303.792533.209020@l22g2000prc.googlegroups. com>, ultradwc@gmail.com writes:
    >no wonder the WASD SSL compile failed ...
    >
    >my associate after failing with the WASD creators
    >instructions used Alans book ...
    >
    >well it tuns out the instructions in that book how
    >to configure WASD are WRONG ...
    >
    >4.2.4 states to create a dir such as [WASD]
    >
    >then
    >
    >$ unzip "-v" htrootxxx.zip
    >$ unzip "-v" opensslwasdxxxx
    >
    >well, it should read
    >
    >$ unzip "-v" htrootxxx.zip
    >$ set def [.ht_root]
    >$ inzip "-v" [-]opensslwasdxxx

    "unzip", presumably.

    >because then the openssl would actually load
    >into [WASD.HT_ROOT.SRC] instead of into
    >[WASD.SRC] ...
    >
    >then the install routine might actually find the
    >openssl source sub dir ...
    >
    >do you give refunds Alan?

    Ooh, sorry about that.

    I'll make a note for the errata if there's ever a second edition. (The
    publishers have asked for one but I have no time. Of course, by then I'll
    need to revisit the whole WASD section in detail; when I started writing
    we were in version 7, it was into 8 by the time the book came out, and it's
    up in the 10s somewhere. Mark keeps adding functionality.)

    -- Alan

  3. Re: Alan Winston, when are you correcting your WASD book?

    On Aug 24, 5:00 pm, wins...@SSRL.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Alan Winston -
    SSRL Central Computing) wrote:
    > Bob wrote:
    > In article <1187976303.792533.209...@l22g2000prc.googlegroups. com>, ultra...@gmail.com writes:
    > >no wonder the WASD SSL compile failed ...

    > >my associate after failing with the WASD creators
    > >instructions used Alans book ...

    > >well it tuns out the instructions in that book how
    > >to configure WASD are WRONG ...

    > >4.2.4 states to create a dir such as [WASD]

    > >then

    > >$ unzip "-v" htrootxxx.zip
    > >$ unzip "-v" opensslwasdxxxx

    > >well, it should read

    > >$ unzip "-v" htrootxxx.zip
    > >$ set def [.ht_root]
    > >$ inzip "-v" [-]opensslwasdxxx

    > "unzip", presumably.
    >

    > >because then the openssl would actually load
    > >into [WASD.HT_ROOT.SRC] instead of into
    > >[WASD.SRC] ...

    > >then the install routine might actually find the
    > >openssl source sub dir ...

    > >do you give refunds Alan?

    > Ooh, sorry about that.
    >
    > I'll make a note for the errata if there's ever a second edition. (The
    > publishers have asked for one but I have no time. Of course, by then I'll
    > need to revisit the whole WASD section in detail; when I started writing
    > we were in version 7, it was into 8 by the time the book came out, and it's
    > up in the 10s somewhere. Mark keeps adding functionality.)
    >
    > -- Alan

    Alan,
    I'm in line for an updated edition too, _when_ (not if) you get
    the time to do one. Yes, thats an imperative there

    Rich

+ Reply to Thread