Dataoverun on tape - VMS

This is a discussion on Dataoverun on tape - VMS ; I taped off an image from an AS400. Took two tapes, used /VER I tried to put it on a DS10 I just bought and got a DATAOVERUN during the 2nd tape. I am trying again. Any idea what caused ...

  1. Dataoverun on tape

    I taped off an image from an AS400. Took two tapes, used /VER

    I tried to put it on a DS10 I just bought and got a DATAOVERUN during
    the 2nd tape. I am trying again.

    Any idea what caused it? An hope it will work this time?

  2. Re: Dataoverun on tape

    In article <1187968593.142717.302240@q3g2000prf.googlegroups.c om>, tadamsmar writes:
    > I taped off an image from an AS400. Took two tapes, used /VER
    >
    > I tried to put it on a DS10 I just bought and got a DATAOVERUN during
    > the 2nd tape. I am trying again.
    >
    > Any idea what caused it? An hope it will work this time?

    It would be nice if you included the commands that you used both to
    create and restore what I assume is a two volume BACKUP save set
    along with the exact text of the resulting error message.

    It sounds to me like a hardware error.

    DATAOVERRUN tends to indicate that a block read from tape was too
    large to fit in the buffer provided for it. Since BACKUP uses a
    fixed block size and since your error occurred on the 2nd tape,
    it isn't plausible that the buffer size is the wrong size. So it
    must be the tape block that is the wrong size.

  3. Re: Dataoverun on tape

    On Aug 24, 12:16 pm, bri...@encompasserve.org wrote:
    > In article <1187968593.142717.302...@q3g2000prf.googlegroups.c om>, tadamsmar writes:
    >
    > > I taped off an image from an AS400. Took two tapes, used /VER

    > > I tried to put it on a DS10 I just bought and got a DATAOVERUN during
    > > the 2nd tape. I am trying again.

    > > Any idea what caused it? An hope it will work this time?

    > It would be nice if you included the commands that you used both to
    > create and restore what I assume is a two volume BACKUP save set
    > along with the exact text of the resulting error message.
    >
    > It sounds to me like a hardware error.
    >
    > DATAOVERRUN tends to indicate that a block read from tape was too
    > large to fit in the buffer provided for it. Since BACKUP uses a
    > fixed block size and since your error occurred on the 2nd tape,
    > it isn't plausible that the buffer size is the wrong size. So it
    > must be the tape block that is the wrong size.

    Did not happen on the second try. A little troubling since this a
    refurnb DS10 that just came in the door. But I have a year's warranty
    so I will create lots of tapes in that period.

+ Reply to Thread