Re: COBOL Transactions? - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: COBOL Transactions? - VMS ; >> Constantly get back a failure code, 933B. > >That's not a failure code in OpenVMS, but it is a bad informational. >It should possibly translate to '%SYSTEM-I-NEWBIE, Beginner in action" > >'get back' FROM WHAT? In which field? >R> ...

  1. Re: COBOL Transactions?

    >> Constantly get back a failure code, 933B.
    >
    >That's not a failure code in OpenVMS, but it is a bad informational.
    >It should possibly translate to '%SYSTEM-I-NEWBIE, Beginner in action"
    >
    >'get back' FROM WHAT? In which field?

    'get back' FROM WHAT? In which field?

    LOL! Well, perhaps.

    The error code was coming back in the status field, which I basically swiped
    from the sample code. I just translated it to it's hex value for ease of communications.

    The actual call looks more like this (again, swiped from the sample, with EFN = 7).

    CALL "SYS$START_TRANSW" USING
    BY VALUE EFN
    BY VALUE 0
    BY REFERENCE IOSB
    BY VALUE 0
    BY VALUE 0
    BY REFERENCE TID
    GIVING RETURN-STATUS

    IF RETURN-STATUS IS FAILURE
    ... --> display what came back in the S9(9) COMP field.

  2. Re: COBOL Transactions?

    On Aug 23, 12:45 pm, "Paul Raulerson" wrote:
    > >> Constantly get back a failure code, 933B.

    >> ... --> display what came back in the S9(9) COMP field.

    Wait... When you wrote 933B we (me!) assumed HEX due to the "B"

    If that really was DECIMAL 9332 then it makes much more sense:

    $ exit 9332
    %SYSTEM-F-NOLOG, transaction log not found

    Hein.

  3. Re: COBOL Transactions?

    In article ,
    "Paul Raulerson" wrote:

    > >> Constantly get back a failure code, 933B.

    > >That's not a failure code in OpenVMS, but it is a bad informational.
    > >It should possibly translate to '%SYSTEM-I-NEWBIE, Beginner in action"
    > >
    > >'get back' FROM WHAT? In which field?

    'get back' FROM WHAT? In which field?

    > LOL! Well, perhaps.
    >
    > The error code was coming back in the status field, which I basically swiped
    > from the sample code. I just translated it to it's hex value for ease of
    > communications.
    >
    > The actual call looks more like this (again, swiped from the sample, with EFN
    > = 7).
    >
    > CALL "SYS$START_TRANSW" USING
    > BY VALUE EFN
    > BY VALUE 0
    > BY REFERENCE IOSB
    > BY VALUE 0
    > BY VALUE 0
    > BY REFERENCE TID
    > GIVING RETURN-STATUS
    >
    > IF RETURN-STATUS IS FAILURE
    > ... --> display what came back in the S9(9) COMP field.

    I can't tell you how many times I've run into problems with this in the
    past...

    Declare RETURN-STATUS as 9(9) COMP - i.e. unsigned.

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks:

  4. RE: COBOL Transactions?

    [snip]
    > > IF RETURN-STATUS IS FAILURE
    > > ... --> display what came back in the S9(9) COMP field.

    > I can't tell you how many times I've run into problems with this in the
    > past...
    >
    > Declare RETURN-STATUS as 9(9) COMP - i.e. unsigned.
    >
    > --
    > Paul Sture

    I did after that embarrassing little escapade. I just wasn't going to admit
    it...
    -Thanks
    -Paul

+ Reply to Thread