DECnet-Plus for a hobbyist - VMS

This is a discussion on DECnet-Plus for a hobbyist - VMS ; I have been trying to find something that will help me to set up just enough DECnet to allow me to download the software to a DECserver, and connect together a small number of VAXstations I have at home (I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43

  1. DECnet-Plus for a hobbyist

    I have been trying to find something that will help me to set up just enough
    DECnet to allow me to download the software to a DECserver, and connect
    together a small number of VAXstations I have at home (I am already
    networking with TCP/IP, but DECnet would be fun to play with too). There is
    a huge amount of documentation which would take me some time to work through
    and understand.

    Is there a resource somewhere that would allow me to get started a bit more
    quickly for the sake of domestic harmony? I am thinking along the lines of
    Phil Wherry's page for installing VMS.

    I tried setting it up and got as far as choosing a local namespace (seems
    simple), but the next question about the location of the file stumped me
    somewhat.

    Thanks

    Rob

  2. Re: DECnet-Plus for a hobbyist

    Robert Jarratt wrote:
    > I have been trying to find something that will help me to set up just enough
    > DECnet to allow me to download the software to a DECserver, and connect
    > together a small number of VAXstations I have at home

    Do yourself a favour and get the "real" decnet (decnet 4). It is MUCH
    easier to install, configure and maintain and you won't have to fight
    the osftware to find a way to elininate annoying OPCOM messages. Decnet
    4 also takes a MUCH smaller footprint on your system disk and in memory.

    It should be part of the VMS distribution CD.

  3. Re: DECnet-Plus for a hobbyist

    In article , "Robert Jarratt" writes:
    > I have been trying to find something that will help me to set up just enough
    > DECnet to allow me to download the software to a DECserver, and connect
    > together a small number of VAXstations I have at home (I am already
    > networking with TCP/IP, but DECnet would be fun to play with too). There is
    > a huge amount of documentation which would take me some time to work through
    > and understand.

    The DECnet protocol is not use for DECserver downloads, so you can
    just skip all that. MOM/MOP is used for DECserver downloads. Older
    versions of MOM/MOP were managed through NCP, like DECnet Phase IV,
    which often leads to this confusion.

    Current versions of VMS provide LANCP for managing MOM/MOP, or if you
    use DECnet Phase IV you can still use NCP.

    > I tried setting it up and got as far as choosing a local namespace (seems
    > simple), but the next question about the location of the file stumped me
    > somewhat.

    If you're setting up a local namespace then you're using DECnet Phase V
    management tools which won't help you with MOM/MOP.

  4. Re: DECnet-Plus for a hobbyist

    Robert Jarratt wrote:
    > I have been trying to find something that will help me to set up just enough
    > DECnet to allow me to download the software to a DECserver, and connect
    > together a small number of VAXstations I have at home (I am already
    > networking with TCP/IP, but DECnet would be fun to play with too). There is
    > a huge amount of documentation which would take me some time to work through
    > and understand.
    >
    > Is there a resource somewhere that would allow me to get started a bit more
    > quickly for the sake of domestic harmony? I am thinking along the lines of
    > Phil Wherry's page for installing VMS.
    >
    > I tried setting it up and got as far as choosing a local namespace (seems
    > simple), but the next question about the location of the file stumped me
    > somewhat.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Rob

    If you are running some older VAXstations with limited memory, I tend to
    suggest to run DECnet Phase IV instead of DECnet-Plus. And if your wish
    is to just do the basic tasks with DECnet, it will be enough. But if you
    want to do something advanced like running DECnet-over-IP or run a
    DECdns server etc, then you need to install DECnet-Plus.

    The net$configure procedure provides you with good default values for
    different parameters and you can safely use them. I think most users
    don't alter the parameters unless there is a really important reason.

    Personally I like DECnet-Plus because of its support for very detailed
    management of all the layers of the protocol stack. Of course it takes
    time to learn it, but when you know it, you have a very thorough view of
    what is happening in the stack and the configurability is really
    comprehensive.

    Regards,

    Kari

  5. Re: DECnet-Plus for a hobbyist

    "JF Mezei" wrote in message
    > Robert Jarratt wrote:
    >> I have been trying to find something that will help me to set up just
    >> enough DECnet to allow me to download the software to a DECserver, and
    >> connect together a small number of VAXstations I have at home

    > Do yourself a favour and get the "real" decnet (decnet 4). It is MUCH
    > easier to install, configure and maintain and you won't have to fight the
    > osftware to find a way to elininate annoying OPCOM messages. Decnet 4 also
    > takes a MUCH smaller footprint on your system disk and in memory.
    >
    > It should be part of the VMS distribution CD.

    OK, so I switched to IV, but it looks like I don't know how to specify
    decnet addresses because this is how I responded to the NETCONFIG.COM:

    $ @netconfig.com

    DECnet for OpenVMS network configuration procedure

    This procedure will help you define the parameters needed to get DECnet
    running on this machine. You will be shown the changes before they are
    executed, in case you wish to perform them manually.

    What do you want your DECnet node name to be? [VLC]: VLC1
    What do you want your DECnet address to be? : 1.1
    Do you want to operate as a router? [NO (nonrouting)]:
    Do you want a default DECnet account? [NO]:
    Do you want a default account for the MAIL object? [YES]:
    Do you want a default account for the FAL object? [NO]:
    Do you want a default account for the PHONE object? [YES]:
    Do you want a default account for the NML object? [YES]:
    Do you want a default account for the MIRROR object? [YES]:
    Do you want a default account for the VPM object? [YES]:

    When I installed the DVNETEND license and rebooted, this is what
    STARTNET.COM gave me:

    $ @STARTNET
    %RUN-S-PROC_ID, identification of created process is 0000008F
    %NCP-W-INVPVA, Invalid parameter value , Physical address
    Line = SVA-0

    %NCP-W-UNRCMP, Unrecognized component , Circuit
    Circuit = SVA-0

    %NCP-I-NOINFO, No information in database
    %RUN-S-PROC_ID, identification of created process is 00000091

    What did I do wrong?

    Thanks

    Rob

  6. Re: DECnet-Plus for a hobbyist

    Robert Jarratt wrote:

    > "JF Mezei" wrote in message
    > > Robert Jarratt wrote:
    > >> I have been trying to find something that will help me to set up just
    > >> enough DECnet to allow me to download the software to a DECserver, and
    > >> connect together a small number of VAXstations I have at home

    > > Do yourself a favour and get the "real" decnet (decnet 4). It is MUCH
    > > easier to install, configure and maintain and you won't have to fight the
    > > osftware to find a way to elininate annoying OPCOM messages. Decnet 4 also
    > > takes a MUCH smaller footprint on your system disk and in memory.
    > >
    > > It should be part of the VMS distribution CD.

    > OK, so I switched to IV, but it looks like I don't know how to specify
    > decnet addresses because this is how I responded to the NETCONFIG.COM:
    >
    > $ @netconfig.com
    >
    > DECnet for OpenVMS network configuration procedure
    >
    > This procedure will help you define the parameters needed to get DECnet
    > running on this machine. You will be shown the changes before they are
    > executed, in case you wish to perform them manually.
    >
    > What do you want your DECnet node name to be? [VLC]: VLC1
    > What do you want your DECnet address to be? : 1.1
    > Do you want to operate as a router? [NO (nonrouting)]:
    > Do you want a default DECnet account? [NO]:
    > Do you want a default account for the MAIL object? [YES]:
    > Do you want a default account for the FAL object? [NO]:
    > Do you want a default account for the PHONE object? [YES]:
    > Do you want a default account for the NML object? [YES]:
    > Do you want a default account for the MIRROR object? [YES]:
    > Do you want a default account for the VPM object? [YES]:
    >
    > When I installed the DVNETEND license and rebooted, this is what
    > STARTNET.COM gave me:
    >
    > $ @STARTNET
    > %RUN-S-PROC_ID, identification of created process is 0000008F
    > %NCP-W-INVPVA, Invalid parameter value , Physical address
    > Line = SVA-0
    >
    > %NCP-W-UNRCMP, Unrecognized component , Circuit
    > Circuit = SVA-0
    >
    > %NCP-I-NOINFO, No information in database
    > %RUN-S-PROC_ID, identification of created process is 00000091
    >
    > What did I do wrong?

    Post the output of SHOW DEVICE E and maybe we can figure out where NETCONFIG
    made an invalid assumption. (ESA0: doesn't sound right for a VLC - I'd have
    expected EWA0: and EWA-0, but it's been a while).

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  7. Re: DECnet-Plus for a hobbyist

    Robert Jarratt wrote:

    > I have been trying to find something that will help me to set up just enough
    > DECnet to allow me to download the software to a DECserver, [snip]

    Well, as other posters have noted, there actually is no connection between MOP
    and DECNet other than that the Phase-IV executor facilitates MOP functions and
    the Phase-IV NCP program is used to configure the necessary database entries.

    Current VMS versions provide LANCP and LANACP which handle MOP stuff without
    DECnet Phase-IV.

    MOP and DECnet are different protocols (packet types). Within MOP, there are
    actually four packet types:

    - Downline load
    - Upline dump
    - Remote Console
    - (I forget the fourth)

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems
    http://www.djesys.com/

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  8. Re: DECnet-Plus for a hobbyist

    Robert Jarratt wrote:
    > I have been trying to find something that will help me to set up just enough
    > DECnet to allow me to download the software to a DECserver, and connect
    > together a small number of VAXstations I have at home (I am already
    > networking with TCP/IP, but DECnet would be fun to play with too). There is
    > a huge amount of documentation which would take me some time to work through
    > and understand.
    >
    > Is there a resource somewhere that would allow me to get started a bit more
    > quickly for the sake of domestic harmony? I am thinking along the lines of
    > Phil Wherry's page for installing VMS.
    >
    > I tried setting it up and got as far as choosing a local namespace (seems
    > simple), but the next question about the location of the file stumped me
    > somewhat.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Rob

    If you just want MOP loading control, SET HOST and file copy etc, then
    you need local namespace.
    The name for this namespace will be LOCAL:.nodename

    If you ask for a domain name service then it will also ask for the
    fully qualified node name for an IP-centric view of the world.

    I suggest you don't want to use DECdns as I've yet to find anyone who
    DOES use it!

    If this covers the "next question" then that's great. If not, what is
    the next quesiton please?
    Steve

  9. Re: DECnet-Plus for a hobbyist

    In article <46CCE489.38A33AB4@spam.comcast.net>, David J Dachtera writes:

    > Post the output of SHOW DEVICE E and maybe we can figure out where NETCONFIG
    > made an invalid assumption. (ESA0: doesn't sound right for a VLC - I'd have
    > expected EWA0: and EWA-0, but it's been a while).

    I don't think he's seeing a NETCONFIG.COM bug, I think the poster was
    right about this being an issue with having some other protocol
    started prior to DECnet Phase IV trying to change the physical
    address.

    None of which is doing him any good since he needs MOP, not DECnet.

  10. Re: DECnet-Plus for a hobbyist

    Bob Koehler wrote:

    > In article <46CCE489.38A33AB4@spam.comcast.net>, David J Dachtera writes:
    > >
    > > Post the output of SHOW DEVICE E and maybe we can figure out where NETCONFIG
    > > made an invalid assumption. (ESA0: doesn't sound right for a VLC - I'd have
    > > expected EWA0: and EWA-0, but it's been a while).

    > I don't think he's seeing a NETCONFIG.COM bug, I think the poster was
    > right about this being an issue with having some other protocol
    > started prior to DECnet Phase IV trying to change the physical
    > address.

    Oops! Yes, you're quite right. I missed that in the error message text...

    Apologies...

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems
    http://www.djesys.com/

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  11. Re: DECnet-Plus for a hobbyist

    "Bob Koehler" wrote in message
    > In article <46CCE489.38A33AB4@spam.comcast.net>, David J Dachtera
    > writes:
    >>
    >> Post the output of SHOW DEVICE E and maybe we can figure out where
    >> NETCONFIG
    >> made an invalid assumption. (ESA0: doesn't sound right for a VLC - I'd
    >> have
    >> expected EWA0: and EWA-0, but it's been a while).

    > I don't think he's seeing a NETCONFIG.COM bug, I think the poster was
    > right about this being an issue with having some other protocol
    > started prior to DECnet Phase IV trying to change the physical
    > address.
    >
    > None of which is doing him any good since he needs MOP, not DECnet.

    Indeed I now see that I do not need DECnet for downloading firmware to a
    DECserver, I was misled slightly by the Hoffman Labs page which mentions
    DECnet, but then says it is not actually used. Still it is nice to get
    DECnet going and I succeeded with phase IV when I started TCP/IP afterwards
    (thanks to other posters for this advice).

    Is there somewhere that summarises DECnet Phase IV addressing and also
    explains its relationship to SCSSYSTEMID (I am sure I saw somewhere that
    they are related)?

    Regards

    Rob

  12. Re: DECnet-Plus for a hobbyist

    Robert Jarratt wrote:
    > "Bob Koehler" wrote in message
    > > In article <46CCE489.38A33AB4@spam.comcast.net>, David J Dachtera
    > > writes:
    > >>
    > >> Post the output of SHOW DEVICE E and maybe we can figure out where
    > >> NETCONFIG
    > >> made an invalid assumption. (ESA0: doesn't sound right for a VLC - I'd
    > >> have
    > >> expected EWA0: and EWA-0, but it's been a while).

    > > I don't think he's seeing a NETCONFIG.COM bug, I think the poster was
    > > right about this being an issue with having some other protocol
    > > started prior to DECnet Phase IV trying to change the physical
    > > address.
    > >
    > > None of which is doing him any good since he needs MOP, not DECnet.
    > >

    > Indeed I now see that I do not need DECnet for downloading firmware to a
    > DECserver, I was misled slightly by the Hoffman Labs page which mentions
    > DECnet, but then says it is not actually used. Still it is nice to get
    > DECnet going and I succeeded with phase IV when I started TCP/IP afterwards
    > (thanks to other posters for this advice).
    >
    > Is there somewhere that summarises DECnet Phase IV addressing and also
    > explains its relationship to SCSSYSTEMID (I am sure I saw somewhere that
    > they are related)?
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Rob

    I'm not sure that there is a requirement (in the back of my mind there
    is something that says there is, but that doesn't help) but it's
    certainly traditional that the SCSSYSTEMID is the same as the DECnet
    phase IV address.

    The DECnet phase IV address is made up of a DECnet area and a node
    number within that area:
    area.number

    So, for a node 36.101 it's node 101 in DECnet area 36. There are up
    to 1023 nodes in an area.
    the SCSSYSTEMID is a number which is made up as:
    (area*1024)+number

    So, for the 36.101 it's (36*1024)+101 = 36965

    You can actually put the calculation as above in the MODPARAMS.DAT for
    setting the SCSSYSTEMID:
    SCSSYSTEMID=(36*1024)+101

    DECnet phase IV isn't MOP, but includes control of the MOP service for
    downline loading. Similarly, it isn't command console protocol but it
    can be used to control it.

    Steve

  13. Re: DECnet-Plus for a hobbyist

    In article , "Robert Jarratt" writes:

    > Is there somewhere that summarises DECnet Phase IV addressing and also
    > explains its relationship to SCSSYSTEMID (I am sure I saw somewhere that
    > they are related)?

    If you set SCSSYSTEMID and start DECnet Phase IV they must contain
    the same bits.

    cluster_config.com will look at your DECnet address and I think
    netcongif.com will look at your SCSSYSTEMID to try to make them so.

    If you're doing it by hand the relationship is (area.node being the DECnet
    address):

    scssystemid = (area * 1024) + node

    Both of these will cause the NIC's physical address to become
    AA-00-04-00-xx-yy where scssystemid in hex is yyxx. Some protocols
    can't deal with the physical address changing after they've started
    which is why DECnet Phase IV won't start if other protocols are
    already using the hardware address as the physical address.

  14. Re: DECnet-Plus for a hobbyist

    In article <1187949194.783875.89580@z24g2000prh.googlegroups.c om>, etmsreec@yahoo.co.uk writes:

    > DECnet phase IV isn't MOP, but includes control of the MOP service for
    > downline loading. Similarly, it isn't command console protocol but it
    > can be used to control it.

    I think that's a bit stronger statement than reality. The only
    thing DECnet Phase IV and MOP have in common is using NCP and the
    NCP database as management tools. I can see why you might use
    "control" in that context, but the DECnet stack does not control
    the MOP stack.

  15. Re: DECnet-Plus for a hobbyist

    "Bob Koehler" wrote in message
    > In article <46CCE489.38A33AB4@spam.comcast.net>, David J Dachtera
    > writes:
    >>
    >> Post the output of SHOW DEVICE E and maybe we can figure out where
    >> NETCONFIG
    >> made an invalid assumption. (ESA0: doesn't sound right for a VLC - I'd
    >> have
    >> expected EWA0: and EWA-0, but it's been a while).

    > I don't think he's seeing a NETCONFIG.COM bug, I think the poster was
    > right about this being an issue with having some other protocol
    > started prior to DECnet Phase IV trying to change the physical
    > address.
    >
    > None of which is doing him any good since he needs MOP, not DECnet.

    I thought I replied to this but I cannot see the reply several hours later,
    so apologies if this is duplicate:

    I now realise that I don't need DECnet for downloading firmware to a
    DECserver (I was led astray by the Hoffman article which mentions DECnet and
    then says it is not actually used). Still it was fun to get it working.

    Is there a relationship between DECnet addresses and SCSSYSTEMID? If so what
    is it? Is there a simple explanation somewhere of Phase IV addresses?

    Thanks

    Rob

  16. Re: DECnet-Plus for a hobbyist

    Bob Koehler wrote:
    > I think that's a bit stronger statement than reality. The only
    > thing DECnet Phase IV and MOP have in common is using NCP and the
    > NCP database as management tools. I can see why you might use
    > "control" in that context, but the DECnet stack does not control
    > the MOP stack.

    Out of curiosity, who registers with the ethernet driver the "if you see
    a MOP packet, send it to me" ?

    In an environment where you have LANCP, is it correct that while a boot
    node boots, it will not serve any MOP requests until LANACP has started ?

    In an environment that predates LANCP, did LANACP exist ?

  17. Re: DECnet-Plus for a hobbyist

    In article , JF Mezei writes:
    > Bob Koehler wrote:
    >> I think that's a bit stronger statement than reality. The only
    >> thing DECnet Phase IV and MOP have in common is using NCP and the
    >> NCP database as management tools. I can see why you might use
    >> "control" in that context, but the DECnet stack does not control
    >> the MOP stack.

    > Out of curiosity, who registers with the ethernet driver the "if you see
    > a MOP packet, send it to me" ?

    Yes, there is a MOP stack in VMS somewhere.

    > In an environment where you have LANCP, is it correct that while a boot
    > node boots, it will not serve any MOP requests until LANACP has started ?

    Don't know, but I think so.

    > In an environment that predates LANCP, did LANACP exist ?

    I don't know where the code which is now in LANACP existed before,
    it might actually have been stuck in the NETACP, but it's not really
    the same stack as DECnet.

  18. Re: DECnet-Plus for a hobbyist

    Robert Jarratt wrote:
    > "Bob Koehler" wrote in message
    >
    >>In article <46CCE489.38A33AB4@spam.comcast.net>, David J Dachtera
    >> writes:
    >>
    >>>Post the output of SHOW DEVICE E and maybe we can figure out where
    >>>NETCONFIG

    > Is there a relationship between DECnet addresses and SCSSYSTEMID? If so what
    > is it? Is there a simple explanation somewhere of Phase IV addresses?

    SCSSYSTEMID:==AREA*1024+NODE
    e.g. if your DECnet address 2.7 your SCSYSTEMID= 2*1024+7=2055

    There is nothing terribly complicated about DECnet Phase IV addresses.
    They consist of an "Area" from 1-63 (or 64?? I'm too lazy to look it
    up!) and a "Node" number from 1-??. Most organizations don't have
    DECnet networks large enough to tax this addressing scheme; Digital was
    one of the few organizations larger enough to have a problem. NASA was
    another. Most of the world now uses TCP/IP which has become the de
    facto standard.

  19. Re: DECnet-Plus for a hobbyist

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > Bob Koehler wrote:
    >> I think that's a bit stronger statement than reality. The only
    >> thing DECnet Phase IV and MOP have in common is using NCP and the
    >> NCP database as management tools. I can see why you might use
    >> "control" in that context, but the DECnet stack does not control
    >> the MOP stack.

    > Out of curiosity, who registers with the ethernet driver the "if you see
    > a MOP packet, send it to me" ?
    >

    > In an environment where you have LANCP, is it correct that while a boot
    > node boots, it will not serve any MOP requests until LANACP has started ?
    >
    > In an environment that predates LANCP, did LANACP exist ?

    MOP DL requests are sent to a multicast address, which nodes with MOP
    enabled will listen to. All the nodes with MOP gets the request and the
    fastest one serves the request.

    Did this answer your question?

    Regards,

    Kari

  20. Re: DECnet-Plus for a hobbyist

    "Uusimäki" wrote in message
    > JF Mezei wrote:
    >> Bob Koehler wrote:
    >>> I think that's a bit stronger statement than reality. The only
    >>> thing DECnet Phase IV and MOP have in common is using NCP and the
    >>> NCP database as management tools. I can see why you might use
    >>> "control" in that context, but the DECnet stack does not control
    >>> the MOP stack.

    >> Out of curiosity, who registers with the ethernet driver the "if you see
    >> a MOP packet, send it to me" ?
    >>

    >> In an environment where you have LANCP, is it correct that while a boot
    >> node boots, it will not serve any MOP requests until LANACP has started ?
    >>
    >> In an environment that predates LANCP, did LANACP exist ?

    > MOP DL requests are sent to a multicast address, which nodes with MOP
    > enabled will listen to. All the nodes with MOP gets the request and the
    > fastest one serves the request.
    >
    > Did this answer your question?
    >

    > Regards,
    >
    > Kari

    I successfully ran DVSCONFIG.COM to configure the DECserver firmware
    download, but the DECserver fail to download it. I am having other console
    issues with the DECserver so I don't know if it works, but it may be that
    there is something else that I have to start on the VMS side, what do I need
    to check is running? This is VMS 7.3. And this is the output of SH SYS:

    Pid Process Name State Pri I/O CPU Page flts
    Pages
    00000081 SWAPPER HIB 16 0 0 00:00:00.54 0
    0
    00000084 LANACP HIB 13 61 0 00:00:00.44 368
    796
    00000086 IPCACP HIB 10 7 0 00:00:00.07 99
    167
    00000087 ERRFMT HIB 8 612 0 00:00:02.58 145
    216
    00000089 OPCOM HIB 8 158 0 00:00:00.54 314
    153
    0000008A AUDIT_SERVER HIB 10 56 0 00:00:00.55 525
    679
    0000008B JOB_CONTROL HIB 10 33 0 00:00:00.17 153
    294
    0000008C SECURITY_SERVER HIB 10 22 0 00:00:26.22 757
    1014
    0000008D NETACP HIB 9 240 0 00:00:01.33 205
    323
    0000008E EVL HIB 6 139 0 00:00:00.57 365
    582 N
    0000008F REMACP HIB 8 18 0 00:00:00.07 111
    69
    00000090 TCPIP$INETACP HIB 8 113 0 00:00:00.98 713
    810
    00000095 SYSTEM LEF 9 4194 0 00:00:45.45 30170
    288
    00000096 _TNA5: CUR 4 541 0 00:00:06.78 4223
    340

    Thanks

    Rob

+ Reply to Thread