Re: VMSTAR - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: VMSTAR - VMS ; From: "Tom Linden" > I am getting an EOF tring to extract a large directory and suspect size > issue. Issue? Is that anything like a PROBLEM? > multics.tar;1 3867460 21-AUG-2007 12:50:12.76 [SYSTEM] > > as you can see it ...

  1. Re: VMSTAR

    From: "Tom Linden"

    > I am getting an EOF tring to extract a large directory and suspect size
    > issue.

    Issue? Is that anything like a PROBLEM?

    > multics.tar;1 3867460 21-AUG-2007 12:50:12.76 [SYSTEM]
    >
    > as you can see it is almost 2GB. I created the tar with cygwin and I
    > don't think
    > it is to blame.

    "[A]lmost 2GB" should mean that there's almost a reason to suspect a
    size PROBLEM.

    > Is there a known issue with VMSTAR?
    > VMS TAR V3.4-1 (Nov 29 2001)

    I think that it was known to have been issued around Nov 29 2001.
    Does that count? Or did you mean a known PROBLEM? In fact, VMSTAR has
    a few problems, but I don't know if any of them would explain this
    particular failure. I assume that you used GNU "tar" to make the
    archive, and GNU "tar" has the ability to defeat VMSTAR in a number of
    ways. For a good time, you might try a modified (unreleased, hardly
    tested, possibly improved) edition:

    http://antinode.org/ftp/vmstar/v3r5_pre1_src.zip

    When you're complaining about a problem to the man at the car dealer
    service department, he calls your problem an "issue" in the hope that if
    he doesn't _call_ it a problem, you won't think that you _have_ a
    problem. Issues get discussed. Problems get solved. (Or not.) And
    that's only after he stops calling your complaint a "concern". _He_ can
    call a complaint or a problem anything he wants, but there's no reason
    for the rest of us to cooperate in his attempts to delude us.

    Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-org
    382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

  2. Re: VMSTAR

    On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 19:52:25 -0700, Steven M. Schweda
    wrote:

    > From: "Tom Linden"
    >
    >> I am getting an EOF tring to extract a large directory and suspect size
    >> issue.

    > Issue? Is that anything like a PROBLEM?
    >
    >> multics.tar;1 3867460 21-AUG-2007 12:50:12.76 [SYSTEM]
    >>
    >> as you can see it is almost 2GB. I created the tar with cygwin and I
    >> don't think
    >> it is to blame.

    > "[A]lmost 2GB" should mean that there's almost a reason to suspect a
    > size PROBLEM.
    >
    >> Is there a known issue with VMSTAR?
    >> VMS TAR V3.4-1 (Nov 29 2001)

    > I think that it was known to have been issued around Nov 29 2001.
    > Does that count? Or did you mean a known PROBLEM? In fact, VMSTAR has
    > a few problems, but I don't know if any of them would explain this
    > particular failure. I assume that you used GNU "tar" to make the
    > archive, and GNU "tar" has the ability to defeat VMSTAR in a number of
    > ways. For a good time, you might try a modified (unreleased, hardly
    > tested, possibly improved) edition:
    >
    > http://antinode.org/ftp/vmstar/v3r5_pre1_src.zip

    I will give it a try and dutifully report back.

    > When you're complaining about a problem to the man at the car dealer
    > service department, he calls your problem an "issue" in the hope that if
    > he doesn't _call_ it a problem, you won't think that you _have_ a
    > problem. Issues get discussed. Problems get solved. (Or not.) And
    > that's only after he stops calling your complaint a "concern". _He_ can
    > call a complaint or a problem anything he wants, but there's no reason
    > for the rest of us to cooperate in his attempts to delude us.

    Cleverly put.

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  3. Re: VMSTAR

    On Aug 21, 7:52 pm, s...@antinode.org (Steven M. Schweda) wrote:
    > From: "Tom Linden"
    >
    > > I am getting an EOF tring to extract a large directory and suspect size
    > > issue.

    > Issue? Is that anything like a PROBLEM?
    >
    > > multics.tar;1 3867460 21-AUG-2007 12:50:12.76 [SYSTEM]

    > > as you can see it is almost 2GB. I created the tar with cygwin and I
    > > don't think
    > > it is to blame.

    > "[A]lmost 2GB" should mean that there's almost a reason to suspect a
    > size PROBLEM.
    >
    > > Is there a known issue with VMSTAR?
    > > VMS TAR V3.4-1 (Nov 29 2001)

    > I think that it was known to have been issued around Nov 29 2001.
    > Does that count? Or did you mean a known PROBLEM? In fact, VMSTAR has
    > a few problems, but I don't know if any of them would explain this
    > particular failure. I assume that you used GNU "tar" to make the
    > archive, and GNU "tar" has the ability to defeat VMSTAR in a number of
    > ways. For a good time, you might try a modified (unreleased, hardly
    > tested, possibly improved) edition:
    >
    > http://antinode.org/ftp/vmstar/v3r5_pre1_src.zip
    >
    > When you're complaining about a problem to the man at the car dealer
    > service department, he calls your problem an "issue" in the hope that if
    > he doesn't _call_ it a problem, you won't think that you _have_ a
    > problem. Issues get discussed. Problems get solved. (Or not.) And
    > that's only after he stops calling your complaint a "concern". _He_ can
    > call a complaint or a problem anything he wants, but there's no reason
    > for the rest of us to cooperate in his attempts to delude us.

    > Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-org
    > 382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    > Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

    hi

+ Reply to Thread