Re: VMS 8.3 and TCPIP X.Y: the killer application - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: VMS 8.3 and TCPIP X.Y: the killer application - VMS ; From: "Paul Raulerson" > I am very curious - how in the world did this solve your problem, since the > ******** was sending from some remote system and (assumedly) just forging > your return address? > > This was ...

  1. Re: VMS 8.3 and TCPIP X.Y: the killer application

    From: "Paul Raulerson"

    > I am very curious - how in the world did this solve your problem, since the
    > ******** was sending from some remote system and (assumedly) just forging
    > your return address?

    > > This was why I upgraded. Some ******** was sending out spam that
    > > claimed to
    > > be coming from my domain. [...]

    Domain, not address. Here's what happens: Junk e-mail is sent to
    someone where delivery fails. Junk e-mail says "From:
    invalid-user@my.domain". When delivery to the intended victim fails,
    the victim'e e-mail system sends a bounce message to
    "invalid-user@my.domain". Lame TCPIP V5.4 SMTP software can't deliver
    to "invaild-user", who doesn't exist, but it's an invalid user name, so,
    instead of rejecting the bounce message, it passes the message along to
    the postmaster, where it piles up along with the junk sent directly to
    "some-other-invalid-user@my.domain".

    Less lame TCPIP V5.6 SMTP software is willing to reject messages
    sent to "invalid-user", even when the user name is invalid (too long,
    illegal characters, and so on), not just when it doesn't exist.

    The would-be-funny-if-it-weren't-so-sad part is that after
    complaining in this forum about the problem, (foolishly) using examples
    based on my real domain name, so now I get stuff sent to
    "abc-def@my.domain", for example.

    A vendor with any sense of shame would have supplied the fix for
    TCPIP V5.4, too. (I'm holding my breath, waiting for ECO 7.)

    Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode.org
    382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

  2. Re: VMS 8.3 and TCPIP X.Y: the killer application

    > A vendor with any sense of shame would have supplied the fix for......
    You imply that you know of such vendors
    Phil

+ Reply to Thread