From: rtk

> I have an old 4mm DAT tape that was made on a PC using Novaback about
> ten years ago. I also have a running Alphaserver 1000 4/200 with a
> working DAT drive (I've read VMS format tapes with it).
>
> Does anyone know a way to pull data of a 4mm DAT tape that was made on
> a PC?

You may be able to get the bits off using things like:

MOUNT /NOASSIST /FOREIGN dat:
COPY dat: destination_file

but unless "Novaback" used some recognizable format (like, say, "tar"),
you're probably on your own after that if you want to reconstruct the
original files.

> Also, what is the simplest way to backup the system disk onto a DAT
> tape?

Simplest or best?

BACKUP /IMAGE /VERIFY [...] SYS$DISK: dat:

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/index.html
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/os83_index.html
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/82FINA...-pv5mj-tk.HTMl
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/82FINA...1/110-con.html
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/82FINA...html#sbkup-sec

Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-org
382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
Saint Paul MN 55105-2547