Question about FTP and filenames - VMS

This is a discussion on Question about FTP and filenames - VMS ; From a MAC, I ftp to a vms box, and then issue: SEND ~/Desktop/VT500_parser.png The file that gets created on VMS is: _Users_JFMEZEI_Desktop_vt500_parser.png;1 Would it be correct to state that it is the MAC's fault for not removing path information ...

  1. Question about FTP and filenames

    From a MAC, I ftp to a vms box, and then issue:

    SEND ~/Desktop/VT500_parser.png

    The file that gets created on VMS is:

    _Users_JFMEZEI_Desktop_vt500_parser.png;1

    Would it be correct to state that it is the MAC's fault for not removing
    path information from the filename being sent to the remote FTP server ?

  2. Re: Question about FTP and filenames

    In article ,
    JF Mezei wrote:

    > From a MAC, I ftp to a vms box, and then issue:
    >
    > SEND ~/Desktop/VT500_parser.png
    >
    > The file that gets created on VMS is:
    >
    > _Users_JFMEZEI_Desktop_vt500_parser.png;1

    Ooh! So it does.

    > Would it be correct to state that it is the MAC's fault for not removing
    > path information from the filename being sent to the remote FTP server ?

    You are giving it the full path by specifying ~/

    I you do a CD ~/Desktop

    first, followed by the SEND, then no problem.

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks:

  3. Re: Question about FTP and filenames

    In article , JF Mezei writes:
    > From a MAC, I ftp to a vms box, and then issue:
    >
    > SEND ~/Desktop/VT500_parser.png
    >
    > The file that gets created on VMS is:
    >
    > _Users_JFMEZEI_Desktop_vt500_parser.png;1
    >
    > Would it be correct to state that it is the MAC's fault for not removing
    > path information from the filename being sent to the remote FTP server ?

    I don't believe the RFC calls for path removal. I think SEND just
    takes a "file name" and says nothing about presence or manipulation
    of path.

    IMHO, it should have sent "~/Desktop/" as the path, not the resolved
    path. But I don't think the RFC says.

  4. Re: Question about FTP and filenames

    In article ,
    JF Mezei writes:
    > From a MAC, I ftp to a vms box, and then issue:
    >
    > SEND ~/Desktop/VT500_parser.png
    >
    > The file that gets created on VMS is:
    >
    > _Users_JFMEZEI_Desktop_vt500_parser.png;1
    >
    > Would it be correct to state that it is the MAC's fault for not removing
    > path information from the filename being sent to the remote FTP server ?

    No, it's your fault for not providing the name you wanted on the other
    end. :-)

    FTP used the name you provided and VMS did it's best to intrepret it, the
    result not being what you wanted.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  5. Re: Question about FTP and filenames

    In article ,
    "P. Sture" writes:
    > In article ,
    > JF Mezei wrote:
    >
    >> From a MAC, I ftp to a vms box, and then issue:
    >>
    >> SEND ~/Desktop/VT500_parser.png
    >>
    >> The file that gets created on VMS is:
    >>
    >> _Users_JFMEZEI_Desktop_vt500_parser.png;1
    >>

    > Ooh! So it does.
    >
    >> Would it be correct to state that it is the MAC's fault for not removing
    >> path information from the filename being sent to the remote FTP server ?

    > You are giving it the full path by specifying ~/
    >
    > I you do a CD ~/Desktop
    >
    > first, followed by the SEND, then no problem.

    Or just say:

    SEND ~/Desktop/VT500_parser.png parser.png

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  6. Re: Question about FTP and filenames

    On 08/23/07 12:02, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    > In article ,
    > "P. Sture" writes:
    >> In article ,
    >> JF Mezei wrote:
    >>
    >>> From a MAC, I ftp to a vms box, and then issue:
    >>>
    >>> SEND ~/Desktop/VT500_parser.png
    >>>
    >>> The file that gets created on VMS is:
    >>>
    >>> _Users_JFMEZEI_Desktop_vt500_parser.png;1
    >>>

    >> Ooh! So it does.
    >>
    >>> Would it be correct to state that it is the MAC's fault for not removing
    >>> path information from the filename being sent to the remote FTP server ?

    >> You are giving it the full path by specifying ~/
    >>
    >> I you do a CD ~/Desktop
    >>
    >> first, followed by the SEND, then no problem.
    >>

    > Or just say:
    >
    > SEND ~/Desktop/VT500_parser.png parser.png

    What's the difference between SEND and PUT?

    --
    Ron Johnson, Jr.
    Jefferson LA USA

  7. Re: Question about FTP and filenames

    In article <%Ikzi.234338$5y.177154@newsfe18.lga>,
    Ron Johnson writes:
    > On 08/23/07 12:02, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    >> In article ,
    >> "P. Sture" writes:

    >>> Ooh! So it does.

    >>> You are giving it the full path by specifying ~/
    >>>
    >>> I you do a CD ~/Desktop
    >>>
    >>> first, followed by the SEND, then no problem.
    >>>

    >> Or just say:
    >>
    >> SEND ~/Desktop/VT500_parser.png parser.png

    > What's the difference between SEND and PUT?

    send local-file [remote-file]
    A synonym for put.

    I used SEND in my example because he used SEND in his question.
    I have never used send myself, always put.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  8. Re: Question about FTP and filenames

    In article <5j63mmF38ok0hU1@mid.individual.net>,
    bill@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) wrote:

    > send local-file [remote-file]
    > A synonym for put.
    >
    > I used SEND in my example because he used SEND in his question.
    > I have never used send myself, always put.

    Same here, I usually use put.

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks: