Re: Any filename problems going from VAX/ODS-2 to Alpha/ODS-5/case blind? - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: Any filename problems going from VAX/ODS-2 to Alpha/ODS-5/case blind? - VMS ; From: AEF > > Why stop at V7.2? Of the V7's, I would (and did) pick V7.3-2. V7.2 > > barely has ODS5. > > Because I have the 7.2 disk(s) lying around somewhere and no others. The Hobbyist CD-ROM ...

  1. Re: Any filename problems going from VAX/ODS-2 to Alpha/ODS-5/case blind?

    From: AEF

    > > Why stop at V7.2? Of the V7's, I would (and did) pick V7.3-2. V7.2
    > > barely has ODS5.

    > Because I have the 7.2 disk(s) lying around somewhere and no others.

    The Hobbyist CD-ROM has V7.3. Later kits are often available if you
    ask for them.

    > I've got work to do, besides!!! (I have no VAX/Alpha/Integrity boxes
    > at home.)

    Everyone needs VMS junk at home. What do you do with your time now?

    > I think I'll go with the test drive option. Will it let me upload my
    > TO.COM via FTP?

    FTP and Telnet to a TestDrive system work. There seems to be no
    outbound network access from a TestDrive system. (You may be able to
    get from one to itself or to another one, however. Much useful stuff,
    like SET DISPLAY back to the real world, or wget to fetch something, is
    doomed.)

    Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-org
    382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

  2. Re: Any filename problems going from VAX/ODS-2 to Alpha/ODS-5/caseblind?

    Steven M. Schweda wrote:
    > FTP and Telnet to a TestDrive system work. There seems to be no
    > outbound network access from a TestDrive system. (You may be able to
    > get from one to itself or to another one, however. Much useful stuff,
    > like SET DISPLAY back to the real world, or wget to fetch something, is
    > doomed.)

    One of the VMS testdrive systems allows SSH with X-11 tunneling.

    You also now can get the common home drive used for the other platorms
    mounted for you as VMS drive.

    I have not checked to see if that means if you can use the rsync or svn
    client on LINUX to fetch files for the VMS system.

    -John
    wb8tyw@qsl.network
    Personal Opinion Only

  3. Re: Any filename problems going from VAX/ODS-2 to Alpha/ODS-5/case blind?

    On Aug 20, 10:06 pm, s...@antinode.org (Steven M. Schweda) wrote:
    > From: AEF
    >
    > > > Why stop at V7.2? Of the V7's, I would (and did) pick V7.3-2. V7.2
    > > > barely has ODS5.

    > > Because I have the 7.2 disk(s) lying around somewhere and no others.

    > The Hobbyist CD-ROM has V7.3. Later kits are often available if you
    > ask for them.
    >
    > > I've got work to do, besides!!! (I have no VAX/Alpha/Integrity boxes
    > > at home.)

    > Everyone needs VMS junk at home. What do you do with your time now?

    Well, I spend 3 hours a day commuting, for one thing.

    The rest is none of your business. >:-|

    > > I think I'll go with the test drive option. Will it let me upload my
    > > TO.COM via FTP?

    > FTP and Telnet to a TestDrive system work. There seems to be no
    > outbound network access from a TestDrive system. (You may be able to
    > get from one to itself or to another one, however. Much useful stuff,
    > like SET DISPLAY back to the real world, or wget to fetch something, is
    > doomed.)

    That's fine. I just want to play around with TO.COM on an ODS-5
    volume.

    > Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-org
    > 382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    > Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

    AEF

  4. Re: Any filename problems going from VAX/ODS-2 to Alpha/ODS-5/caseblind?

    AEF wrote:
    > On Aug 20, 10:06 pm, s...@antinode.org (Steven M. Schweda) wrote:
    >
    >>From: AEF

    >>>Because I have the 7.2 disk(s) lying around somewhere and no others.

    >> The Hobbyist CD-ROM has V7.3. Later kits are often available if you
    >>ask for them.
    >>

    >>>I've got work to do, besides!!! (I have no VAX/Alpha/Integrity boxes
    >>>at home.)

    >> Everyone needs VMS junk at home. What do you do with your time now?

    > Well, I spend 3 hours a day commuting, for one thing.

    Do you drive or ride public transportation? If the later, (or for
    car-pooling on days you don't drive), how about a laptop with
    SIMH and an emulated VMS system?

    > The rest is none of your business. >:-|
    >

    >>>I think I'll go with the test drive option. Will it let me upload my
    >>>TO.COM via FTP?

    >> FTP and Telnet to a TestDrive system work. There seems to be no
    >>outbound network access from a TestDrive system. (You may be able to
    >>get from one to itself or to another one, however. Much useful stuff,
    >>like SET DISPLAY back to the real world, or wget to fetch something, is
    >>doomed.)

    > That's fine. I just want to play around with TO.COM on an ODS-5
    > volume.

    AHA! SIMH-VAX won't do... You need an Alpha or Itanium emulator or
    a Tadpole or an Itanium laptop... Or HP needs to release OpenVMS-VAX
    V8.3 (with full ODS-5 support) from the secret lab in the sub-sub-sub-
    basement at Spit Brook. :-) :-)

    --
    John Santos
    Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.

  5. Re: Any filename problems going from VAX/ODS-2 to Alpha/ODS-5/case blind?

    On Aug 21, 9:39 pm, John Santos wrote:
    > AEF wrote:
    > > On Aug 20, 10:06 pm, s...@antinode.org (Steven M. Schweda) wrote:

    > >>From: AEF

    Oops, make that discs.

    > >> The Hobbyist CD-ROM has V7.3. Later kits are often available if you
    > >>ask for them.

    > >> Everyone needs VMS junk at home. What do you do with your time now?

    > > Well, I spend 3 hours a day commuting, for one thing.

    > Do you drive or ride public transportation? If the later, (or for
    > car-pooling on days you don't drive), how about a laptop with
    > SIMH and an emulated VMS system?

    I appreciate your efforts to help, but I will not go into any more
    detail about this.

    > > The rest is none of your business. >:-|

    > >> FTP and Telnet to a TestDrive system work. There seems to be no
    > >>outbound network access from a TestDrive system. (You may be able to
    > >>get from one to itself or to another one, however. Much useful stuff,
    > >>like SET DISPLAY back to the real world, or wget to fetch something, is
    > >>doomed.)

    > > That's fine. I just want to play around with TO.COM on an ODS-5
    > > volume.

    > AHA! SIMH-VAX won't do... You need an Alpha or Itanium emulator or
    > a Tadpole or an Itanium laptop... Or HP needs to release OpenVMS-VAX
    > V8.3 (with full ODS-5 support) from the secret lab in the sub-sub-sub-
    > basement at Spit Brook. :-) :-)

    I actually managed to get an account on Deathrow last night, but I had
    to VPN to work and do it from there. For some reason, telnet to gein
    didn't work from my home ISP.
    [...]
    > >> Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-org

    [...]
    > John Santos

    [...]
    AEF

  6. Re: Any filename problems going from VAX/ODS-2 to Alpha/ODS-5/caseblind?

    AEF wrote:
    > On Aug 21, 9:39 pm, John Santos wrote:
    >
    >>AEF wrote:

    > Oops, make that discs.

    >>>Well, I spend 3 hours a day commuting, for one thing.

    >>Do you drive or ride public transportation? If the later, (or for
    >>car-pooling on days you don't drive), how about a laptop with
    >>SIMH and an emulated VMS system?

    > I appreciate your efforts to help, but I will not go into any more
    > detail about this.

    Hi Alan, I wasn't trying to be nosy or PC about this, just that if
    you were driving those 3 hours, you obviously (I HOPE!!!) wouldn't
    be trying to hack a new version of TO.COM while behind the wheel!
    Otherwise... I've commuted by train, and it's much less boring if
    you have something to do, like read or play bridge or hack on a
    laptop.

    On the other hand, if you're commute is via private NSA jet to
    Area 51, where you reverse engineer crashed saucers, then you
    really should be seeking advice from some other denizens of the
    group, since the NSA might not like you carrying a computer
    in and out of the facility :-) :-) :-)

    >>>The rest is none of your business. >:-|

    Okay, now you've made me curious :-)

    >>>That's fine. I just want to play around with TO.COM on an ODS-5
    >>>volume.

    >>AHA! SIMH-VAX won't do... You need an Alpha or Itanium emulator or
    >>a Tadpole or an Itanium laptop... Or HP needs to release OpenVMS-VAX
    >>V8.3 (with full ODS-5 support) from the secret lab in the sub-sub-sub-
    >>basement at Spit Brook. :-) :-)

    > I actually managed to get an account on Deathrow last night, but I had
    > to VPN to work and do it from there. For some reason, telnet to gein
    > didn't work from my home ISP.
    > [...]

    I think they've been having hardware problems, so access could be
    intermittent.

    --
    John Santos
    Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.

  7. Re: Any filename problems going from VAX/ODS-2 to Alpha/ODS-5/caseblind?

    John Santos wrote:

    [...]

    > On the other hand, if you're commute is via private NSA jet to

    Arrgh!!! "... your commute..."

    [...]

    --
    John Santos