Re: Any filename problems going from VAX/ODS-2 to Alpha/ODS-5/case blind? - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: Any filename problems going from VAX/ODS-2 to Alpha/ODS-5/case blind? - VMS ; From: AEF > Thanks! I have LD, I actually can fire up a spare disk, but I'm > running VMS V6.2! . Why? > So which is easier? Upgrading 6.2 to 7.2 or registering with test > drive? A TestDrive ...

  1. Re: Any filename problems going from VAX/ODS-2 to Alpha/ODS-5/case blind?

    From: AEF

    > Thanks! I have LD, I actually can fire up a spare disk, but I'm
    > running VMS V6.2!

    . Why?

    > So which is easier? Upgrading 6.2 to 7.2 or registering with test
    > drive?

    A TestDrive would be less disruptive on your system(s), and you get
    to (and have to) run on an IA64 system. It's been three years since I
    signed up, so I can't remember how long it takes for a registration
    request to be fulfilled.

    Why stop at V7.2? Of the V7's, I would (and did) pick V7.3-2. V7.2
    barely has ODS5.

    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/731FIN...06pro_014.html

    [...]
    OpenVMS 7.3-1 on Alpha systems and ODS--5 disks includes enhanced
    support for the use of file names, and subdirectory and root
    subdirectory names. It supports all possible 8-bit characters,
    excluding only the following two characters: ? *
    [...]

    Of course, V8.3 adds more fun, including symbolic links. (Wheee.)

    Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-org
    382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

  2. Re: Any filename problems going from VAX/ODS-2 to Alpha/ODS-5/case blind?

    On Aug 20, 9:20 pm, s...@antinode.org (Steven M. Schweda) wrote:
    > From: AEF
    >
    > > Thanks! I have LD, I actually can fire up a spare disk, but I'm
    > > running VMS V6.2!

    > . Why?

    To save a lot of time and work. I've answered this numerous times in
    this forum. I should start a FAQ! Hey, you could find the answer with
    Google! ;-) (I don't have my own Web site currently, so it'll have to
    wait.)

    I'm still working on getting my market systems from VMS V6.1 to V6.2.
    Many of the "satellite nodes" (DECnet end nodes, actually) are already
    at V6.2. Recent tests are very promising.

    So why go further? I'd have to test my app. Probably relink it all. A
    lot of work for an app that's running just fine (network-limited) and
    is slated for retirement any year now. And I'd have to upgrade a fair
    number of boxes!!! Just what would be the big gain here?

    > > So which is easier? Upgrading 6.2 to 7.2 or registering with test
    > > drive?

    > A TestDrive would be less disruptive on your system(s), and you get
    > to (and have to) run on an IA64 system. It's been three years since I
    > signed up, so I can't remember how long it takes for a registration
    > request to be fulfilled.
    >
    > Why stop at V7.2? Of the V7's, I would (and did) pick V7.3-2. V7.2
    > barely has ODS5.

    Because I have the 7.2 disk(s) lying around somewhere and no others.
    I've got work to do, besides!!! (I have no VAX/Alpha/Integrity boxes
    at home.)

    I think I'll go with the test drive option. Will it let me upload my
    TO.COM via FTP?

    > http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/731FIN...06pro_014.html
    >
    > [...]
    > OpenVMS 7.3-1 on Alpha systems and ODS--5 disks includes enhanced
    > support for the use of file names, and subdirectory and root
    > subdirectory names. It supports all possible 8-bit characters,
    > excluding only the following two characters: ? *
    > [...]
    >
    > Of course, V8.3 adds more fun, including symbolic links. (Wheee.)

    > Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-org
    > 382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    > Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

    AEF

+ Reply to Thread