Re: Any filename problems going from VAX/ODS-2 to Alpha/ODS-5/case blind? - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: Any filename problems going from VAX/ODS-2 to Alpha/ODS-5/case blind? - VMS ; From: AEF > One day I'll try it on an ODS-5 disk (if I can find a VMS box on the > net that has one! I'm looking to check Deathrow next, but hints as to > where to look ...

  1. Re: Any filename problems going from VAX/ODS-2 to Alpha/ODS-5/case blind?

    From: AEF

    > One day I'll try it on an ODS-5 disk (if I can find a VMS box on the
    > net that has one! I'm looking to check Deathrow next, but hints as to
    > where to look are welcome). [...]

    The HP TestDrive systems say things like:

    Your default directory is USER1:[ANTINODE]
    You also have a directory on an ODS-5 device. USER5:[antinode]

    http://www.testdrive.hp.com/
    http://www.testdrive.hp.com/current.shtml

    Also, you can make one using LD pretty easily, and save the network.

    From: "Richard B. Gilbert"

    > > Assuming that most folks won't actually be using ";" or ":" or "]" in
    > > file names (or "<>" to delimit a directory, or ...), then much of such
    > > sub-ideal code can be expected to work (for most people, most of the
    > > time).

    > Well, if having your code work for most people, most of the time, is
    > sufficient. . . .

    It usually is, and it's not _my_ code.

    > It's not that difficult to get it right and have it work for everyone,
    > all of the time.

    It can be when you don't control the code.

    Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-org
    382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

  2. Re: Any filename problems going from VAX/ODS-2 to Alpha/ODS-5/case blind?

    On Aug 20, 3:58 pm, s...@antinode.org (Steven M. Schweda) wrote:
    > From: AEF
    >
    > > One day I'll try it on an ODS-5 disk (if I can find a VMS box on the
    > > net that has one! I'm looking to check Deathrow next, but hints as to
    > > where to look are welcome). [...]

    > The HP TestDrive systems say things like:
    >
    > Your default directory is USER1:[ANTINODE]
    > You also have a directory on an ODS-5 device. USER5:[antinode]
    >
    > http://www.testdrive.hp.com/
    > http://www.testdrive.hp.com/current.shtml
    >
    > Also, you can make one using LD pretty easily, and save the network.

    Thanks! I have LD, I actually can fire up a spare disk, but I'm
    running VMS V6.2!

    So which is easier? Upgrading 6.2 to 7.2 or registering with test
    drive?

    [...]

    > Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-org
    > 382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    > Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

    AEF

+ Reply to Thread