Re: SSH login welcome message? - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: SSH login welcome message? - VMS ; From: "Paul Raulerson" > This is a multipart message in MIME format. Why? > What file(s) hold the welcome message for SSH logins? Google broken? HTML manuals unavailable? http://groups.google.com/group/comp....6f3c71727b6cf5 > ------=_NextPart_000_0001_01C7E120.D03EFB20 > Content-Type: text/html; > charset="us-ascii" > Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Thanks ...

  1. Re: SSH login welcome message?

    From: "Paul Raulerson"

    > This is a multipart message in MIME format.

    Why?

    > What file(s) hold the welcome message for SSH logins?

    Google broken? HTML manuals unavailable?

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....6f3c71727b6cf5

    > ------=_NextPart_000_0001_01C7E120.D03EFB20

    Thanks again.

    Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-org
    382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

  2. RE: SSH login welcome message?

    WHY: It is 12:11 am and I am tired.

    Question: Why did you waste all the effort being nasty?

    If you don't know the answer, just don't answer.

    Better yet: Why am I wasting all this time?

    I keep trying to make OpenVMS work and be a viable

    alternative to a mainframe platform. When people like

    yourself waste so much time and energy being negative

    and nasty, it really makes life unpleasant.

    Important: Do I really want to submit my customers to dealing

    with this kind of attitude?

    Especially if I get into a position where

    I cannot support them and they need support

    from someone else?

    Those are even better questions.

    I'm going to bed.

    And yes, this is formatted in HTML. I'm too tired to try and format it

    in plain text, and don't particularly feel like being polite to you right
    now.

    Go get a better e-mail client or newsreader.

    -Paul

  3. Nasty? was: SSH login welcome message?

    In article <000801c7e158$8e5c8c30$ab15a490$@com>, "Paul Raulerson" writes:
    {...snip...}

    I didn't find providing a google link to a thread discussing what it is
    that you've queried about nasty.

    If you want to know about nasty, being that you are a relative newcomer
    to comp.os.vms, I suggest you research one Carl J. Lydick. While c.o.v.
    sometimes gets hostile and vituperations fill the threads, it is nothing
    at all like the when Carl would chime in with his castigatory vitrolic
    rhetoric!

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  4. Re: Nasty? was: SSH login welcome message?

    In article , Malcolm Dunnett writes:

    >VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    >
    >> If you want to know about nasty, being that you are a relative newcomer
    >> to comp.os.vms, I suggest you research one Carl J. Lydick. While c.o.v.
    >> sometimes gets hostile and vituperations fill the threads, it is nothing
    >> at all like the when Carl would chime in with his castigatory vitrolic
    >> rhetoric!

    > Carl was also a great resource and could be very helpful if you
    >asked what he deemed a worthy question. All things considered I
    >miss Carls postings.

    Yes. I didn't say that he did not offer anything to the group but he
    certainly could be caustic.

    > Lets not forget Ehud Gavron either, there was a time when c.o.v.
    >flamage was rated in units called the Gavron.

    I haven't talked with Ehud in ages. I still remember an interesting
    dinner with Ehud at a DECUS event in New Orleans. He certainly had a
    way with words!

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  5. RE: Nasty? was: SSH login welcome message?

    Yeah- well- I am a little ashamed for snapping like that. No excuse at all
    to do that. The reason however, was exhaustion and frustration. :/

    Apologies again.

    -Paul

  6. RE: Nasty? was: SSH login welcome message?

    In article <001201c7e1b4$5d75c2b0$18614810$@com>, "Paul Raulerson" writes:

    >Yeah- well- I am a little ashamed for snapping like that. No excuse at all
    >to do that. The reason however, was exhaustion and frustration. :/
    >
    >Apologies again.
    >
    >-Paul

    Everyone has their bad day(s); I've had a bad lifetime.

    I've been under incredible stress and strain for, at least, the past 2
    years which I thought was unbearable but that was trumped in the past
    month. I've been acerbic more than my fair share of late but if you'd
    have the **** in your life that I have, you'd tend to be a bit caustic
    too.

    I only commented that I didn't the the google link was negative or in
    way nasty is all I was saying. Every now and then we all just let off
    some stream -- just watch that you don't boil over.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  7. RE: Nasty? was: SSH login welcome message?

    Come to Austin- I'll buy you a beer or root-beer, whatever your preference.

    I think I am going to need to change jobs soon and that is something I just
    really did not want to do at this time in my life.

    That offer is pretty much open to anyone coming into the area by the way.

    -Paul

    > I only commented that I didn't the the google link was negative or in
    > way nasty is all I was saying. Every now and then we all just let off
    > some stream -- just watch that you don't boil over.
    >
    > --
    > VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker
    > VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM
    >
    > "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"
    >
    > http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  8. RE: Nasty? was: SSH login welcome message?

    In article <001a01c7e1f8$8c940b80$a5bc2280$@com>, "Paul Raulerson" writes:
    {...snip...}
    > Come to Austin- I'll buy you a beer or root-beer, whatever your preference.

    Too much sugar in root-beer so I'll hold out for a pint of Guinness...
    assuming you know of a watering hole which pumps Guinness.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  9. Re: Nasty? was: SSH login welcome message?

    On Aug 18, 11:19 am, Malcolm Dunnett
    wrote:
    > VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > > If you want to know about nasty, being that you are a relative newcomer
    > > to comp.os.vms, I suggest you research one Carl J. Lydick. While c.o.v.
    > > sometimes gets hostile and vituperations fill the threads, it is nothing
    > > at all like the when Carl would chime in with his castigatory vitrolic
    > > rhetoric!

    > Carl was also a great resource and could be very helpful if you
    > asked what he deemed a worthy question. All things considered I
    > miss Carls postings.

    Yes, Carl would often be helpful, even if you pissed him off big time
    with an "inadequately put question" but followed up with a post that
    met his specs.

    OTOH, Carl sometimes didn't meet his own standards. He posted stuff he
    didn't check (a BIG Lydick no no), posted stuff when he didn't know
    what he was talking about (BACKUP/FAST for e.g.), and was informed by
    one respondent about the existence of the STOP command by posting the
    HELP STOP output when someone asked how to stop dead in the middle of
    a nested DCL procedure. So he really ought not have been so nasty.

    > Lets not forget Ehud Gavron either, there was a time when c.o.v.
    > flamage was rated in units called the Gavron.

    I remember that Carl was pissed when Ehud stopped posting (allegedly
    in frustration with too many bad posts) and even named a prime
    suspect!

    For the record, I've been both helped and scolded by him.

    AEF

  10. Re: Nasty? was: SSH login welcome message?

    In article ,
    Malcolm Dunnett writes:
    > VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    >
    >> If you want to know about nasty, being that you are a relative newcomer
    >> to comp.os.vms, I suggest you research one Carl J. Lydick. While c.o.v.
    >> sometimes gets hostile and vituperations fill the threads, it is nothing
    >> at all like the when Carl would chime in with his castigatory vitrolic
    >> rhetoric!

    > Carl was also a great resource and could be very helpful if you
    > asked what he deemed a worthy question. All things considered I
    > miss Carls postings.
    >
    > Lets not forget Ehud Gavron either, there was a time when c.o.v.
    > flamage was rated in units called the Gavron.

    Now there is a name I haven't seen in a dog's age although I still often
    wonder what became of him.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include