Re: Getting sftp to work in batch mode - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: Getting sftp to work in batch mode - VMS ; > However, trying to get into HP-UX: > [...] Well, _my_ problem was bad permissions on my HP-UX "~/.ssh" directory. Knowing nothing, I killed the sshd, ran it manually with debug ("/usr/sbin/sshd -ddd"), and saw the permissions complaint in the ...

  1. Re: Getting sftp to work in batch mode

    > However, trying to get into HP-UX:
    > [...]

    Well, _my_ problem was bad permissions on my HP-UX "~/.ssh"
    directory. Knowing nothing, I killed the sshd, ran it manually with
    debug ("/usr/sbin/sshd -ddd"), and saw the permissions complaint in the
    output. (umask = 0 is often not good. Who sets this stuff?) A real
    HP-UX administrator would probably know enough to look in
    /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log for stuff like this:

    Aug 17 15:36:14 dy sshd[4593]: Authentication refused: bad ownership or
    modes for directory /home/sms/.ssh

    Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-org
    382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

  2. Re: Getting sftp to work in batch mode

    I'll second what Steven says: get the other side to run the ssh daemon
    manually, and tell you exactly why it is rejecting the key.

    I've had the same experience: bad file or directory
    permissions on the remote side. The ssh daemon is
    fussier than Larrry Kilgallen about this :-)

    HTH,

    Carl

    On 8/17/07, Steven M. Schweda wrote:
    > > However, trying to get into HP-UX:
    > > [...]

    > Well, _my_ problem was bad permissions on my HP-UX "~/.ssh"
    > directory. Knowing nothing, I killed the sshd, ran it manually with
    > debug ("/usr/sbin/sshd -ddd"), and saw the permissions complaint in the
    > output. (umask = 0 is often not good. Who sets this stuff?) A real
    > HP-UX administrator would probably know enough to look in
    > /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log for stuff like this:
    >
    > Aug 17 15:36:14 dy sshd[4593]: Authentication refused: bad ownership or
    > modes for directory /home/sms/.ssh

    > Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-org
    > 382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    > Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

+ Reply to Thread